WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to show the recent change! I tried using the black strap from another G7900, but for some reason the Zulu strap+adapters just looks better to me. These are 3rd party adapters off of eBay btw. Adapters plus 24mm Zulu strap for $25 shipped.

An extra bonus using these adapters and the Zulu strap: if you have any extra strap you can feed it into the adapter instead of back through the buckles! (pics below, sorry if they're really big, will fix if so).

Not sure if the same can be done with the OEM Casio adapters or not. Can anyone else attest to that?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Here's a couple without any watermarks!

zulu 1.jpg

zulu 2.jpg

Reactions: Kev55 and Schwizzle

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nicely done. Your watermark is way too dominant - very distracting.
You're right, will have to edit them later. At the time, they didn't seem that bad.

Reactions: Kev55

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
...but for some reason the Zulu strap+adapters just looks better to me. These are 3rd party adapters off of eBay btw. Adapters plus 24mm Zulu strap for $25 shipped.

An extra bonus using these adapters and the Zulu strap: if you have any extra strap you can feed it into the adapter instead of back through the buckles! (pics below, sorry if they're really big, will fix if so).

Not sure if the same can be done with the OEM Casio adapters or not. Can anyone else attest to that?
Yes, you can feed any extra strap end right into Casio's own adapters, which isn't a surprise -- because I have said it here before: these plastic, so-called "third party adapters" sold on eBay and through several other websites ARE CASIO OEM ADAPTERS!

There's absolutely no reason for County Comm or jaysandkays or Broadarrow or anybody else to go to the trouble of having copies of Casio's plastic adapters made, when they can buy them for $4.04 a pair from Pacparts and sell them for $12 plus (in at least one case) $6 for shipping!

I'm not sure how many items I'd have to buy before Pacpart's "free shipping" starts, but if I buy 50 pairs right now, shipping is free. I wonder how many pairs I'd have to buy to get a bulk discount on top of that? I bet one of those companies I mentioned probably know.

adapter.jpg

That's $202 for "inventory" -- and if I were to sell them at $12 a pair, that would be $600 in sales. Subtract my $202 investment and I've made a profit of $398, or $7.96 PER PAIR, essentially tripling my money just by being a go-between! :-d (There's probably a nice profit built into $6 shipping, too, for a padded mailer and minimal postage. The business plan is really simple, and I've been tempted to compete and undercut those companies and sell them for $10 a pair...but I'm not sure how much demand there is for these things.)

Anybody who's willing to possibly wait a few weeks can get their own adapters from Pacparts for $4.04 a pair and $4.95 shipping, but we live in a society where people want their instant gratification NOW! :-d

If four dollars profit per tiny plastic piece isn't enough evidence, why would anybody bother to copy Casio's product DOWN TO THE FANCY, UNNEEDED ANGLES when it would be cheaper to produce them with nothing but 90 degree corners? Two of those companies still have webpages left over from 1997 and one doesn't even have a webpage -- do you really think they contracted with a plastics manufacturer and spent money in order to have molds produced?

adapter closeup.jpg

The only true "aftermarket adapters" are those from Shapeways, Suppa, and Trilotac, which look nothing like Casio's, and are made of machined metal, 3D printed plastic, and 3D printed metal.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Well said!! Now, it's been a couple of years, but I got mine from Casio parts (UK) for a few quid. Was shocked at the price folk were ponying up on Ebay for them LOL

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you can feed any extra strap end right into Casio's own adapters, which isn't a surprise -- because I have said it here before: these plastic, so-called "third party adapters" sold on eBay and through several other websites ARE CASIO OEM ADAPTERS!

There's absolutely no reason for County Comm or jaysandkays or Broadarrow or anybody else to go to the trouble of having copies of Casio's plastic adapters made, when they can buy them for $4.04 a pair from Pacparts and sell them for $25 shipped!
I'm a big fan of Pac-Parts as well and always go to them first for pricing, and I did see how cheap the adapters are there. After ~$5 shipping, a pair costs $9. However, the guy I bought them from on eBay included the 24mm PVD strap, which by itself can go for around $17 on eBay. So I figured with the strap and the adapters together, close to even, with faster shipping.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Well said!! Now, it's been a couple of years, but I got mine from Casio parts (UK) for a few quid. Was shocked at the price folk were ponying up on Ebay for them LOL
...and don't you wish that YOU had thought of slapping them up there on eBay or your own website ten or fifteen years ago?! (I know that I do!) 95% of the people that they're selling adapters and straps to aren't necessarily the same people who hang around watch forums, and someone Googling "g shock adapter" isn't likely to stumble across Tiktox or Pacparts.

However, the guy I bought them from on eBay included the 24mm PVD strap, which by itself can go for around $17 on eBay. So I figured with the strap and the adapters together, close to even, with faster shipping.
Understood, and I have seen myself where there are people reselling the same adapters PLUS a strap for not too ridiculous a price. :-! They're still making some money on the deal, though, so good for them!

My point was that your adapters are still OEM Casio adapters that were simply resold by a third party -- I've seen zero evidence that anybody is making their own look-alike adapters, and there's no reason for anybody to when they can buy the originals so cheaply!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood, and I have seen myself where there are people reselling the same adapters PLUS a strap for not too ridiculous a price. :-! They're still making some money on the deal, though, so good for them!

My point was that your adapters are still OEM Casio adapters that were simply resold by a third party -- I've seen zero evidence that anybody is making their own look-alike adapters, and there's no reason for anybody to when they can buy the originals so cheaply!
Thank you for confirming that, because I have a G5600CC (blue version) coming in, and my plan is to replace the blue bezel with the bezel from a GWM5610-1B and a black Zulu strap. If the adapters were 3rd party, I was concerned that the black resin of the adapters wouldn't match the black of the bezel. With them being Casio adapters most likely, should be square.

Just gotta wait on the bezels from Pacparts now.......

·
Banned
57 Posts
Hi all. Wanted to share these with you. The OEMs don't fit many Gs well so we offer some that fit better. Here they are on 7900, but also some Gs that have typically been tough to fit the OEM adapters onto. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, PM if you wish.

20150103_232339.jpg
20150103_205422.jpg
20150103_220044.jpg
20150103_215648.jpg

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Hi all. Wanted to share these with you. The OEMs don't fit many Gs well so we offer some that fit better. Here they are on 7900, but also some Gs that have typically been tough to fit the OEM adapters onto. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, PM if you wish.
Welcome to Watchuseek, and I'm VERY glad that I turned out to be wrong in post #6 above! (Perhaps I WAS right back in December, and part of that information is now wrong four months later?)

Questions that immediately spring to mind:

Exactly how wide are these adapters? In the other thread where they're mentioned, they appear to be slightly wider than the end of the bezel on the DW-6900, but they seem to match up perfectly with the bezel on the G7900's in the pictures above.

Are these adapters made from the same sort of "semi-flexible" plastic as the OEM adapters? More rigid? More flexible?

Exactly how wide is the internal "slot" for the strap, and what size strap are they designed to be used with? (Since the adapters come packaged with a 24mm strap, I'm 99% SURE that's the size the adapters are designed for.) Also in that other thread, a customer mentions that his watch "slides around" so I'm wondering if the "slots" aren't actually 24mm or perhaps a tiny bit larger. (OEM adapters were designed to be used with Casio's proprietary 23mm strap, which means that most aftermarket straps aren't a perfect fit. The questionably "good news" there is that while it may be a bit more work to initially insert a 24mm strap into a 23mm "slot," the adapters don't slide around much once they're attached -- or at least, not at first. Wear, heat, and/or friction from multiple strap changes eventually causes the OEM adapters to stretch slightly so they don't grip the strap as tightly.)

Edit: I just noticed that it looks as though these adapters were designed to be used with springbars OR the external screws that hold the straps on certain models like the G9300 and GD-100! That's a good design, and I'm wondering if a "side benefit" of that (possibly larger hole) is why they're more easily installed than OEM adapters on models that use springbars?

Most importantly, are you planning on any other adapters for any other G-Shock and/or Pathfinder models? There's definitely a market for adapters for other models, but mathematically there is no market quite as large as the one for these 16mm adapters that fit (probably) half of the G-Shock models currently made!

I currently have five G-Shocks on two different types of OEM adapters but I'm excited about these new ones -- in a situation like this, having more options is a good thing! :-!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum, thank you for showing up! They look great on the 7900, so I'll be over soon for a pair.
Thanks, again,
Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts