WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found out how easy it is to stealth a G-Shock, so I thought I would try it on my yellow 7900MS (with black strap instead of stock canvas strap). I got it used off of eBay and the bezel was a little dinged up, so I bought a new one from Pacparts.com. Kept the old one because it's always good to have an extra bezel, and realized this was the perfect opportunity to try stealthing out. Also, the bezel is a dark green color and I would like to make it black to match the strap I bought for it.

I tried Goof-Off from a local grocery store (wasn't the professional stuff you get at a hardware store) to get the lettering off. I thought the lettering was just supposed to melt off as I brushed, but that didn't happen, so I tried non-acetone nail polish remover. That did work, but I couldn't get all the paint residue off. I decided that wasn't a big deal since I was dying it black anyway.

I used these instructions to do the dye job: Dye a G-Shock - G-Shock Wiki | casio watch resources They mention using white vinegar to cure the dye. So now the bezel smells like fingernail polish with a hint of vinegar....hoping that smell goes away eventually. It's not strong enough to notice unless you have your nose on top of it.

I think it turned out really nice, thought I need to do another round of dye because in really bright light, you can still see some green in the bezel compared to the black strap. I always thought it would look fantastic if the only yellow highlights on the watch were the watch face itself, the EL button, and the start/stop button, and it does look fantastic (I also took the yellow wings off). I think Casio would have sold a ton of these had they done it like this.

The bezel on the watch is the dye job, and the other bezel is the original.

[/URL]IMG_1194 by schwizzle1[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1195 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1196 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1197 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1198 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1200 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/URL]IMG_1202 by schwizzle1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Reactions: James142 and G-fob

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Interesting mod and one I've wondered about. I stopped at swapping the yellow wings for black and would swap the yellow button out if I had a spare black one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts