WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm just wondering if there is the different between G9100 and GW9100. I know that one is solar and another is not, but how about the built quality between the two? r they the same?
Thank you so much for your help and sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm still learning about G Shock:-!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Hi
I'm just wondering if there is the different between G9100 and GW9100. I know that one is solar and another is not, but how about the built quality between the two? r they the same?
Thank you so much for your help and sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm still learning about G Shock:-!
search the thread i started several days ago. there were some good photos of what the gw9100 looked like without the resin outer casing. there is also a thread entitled, "the gulfman dissected." pretty informative.

after reading and seeing breakdown photos of the gw9100, i am still debating as to whether the two pieces of titanium wedged on top of the resin case is worth it. i love the look of the gw9100 though.

hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm i read the thread 'the gulfman dissected' lastnight and was thinking about it the whole night. What a heated conversation:)...what got me interested in Gulfman G9100 is The Gadget Show.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,512 Posts
The GW-9100 is atomic as well as solar. The titanium inner bezel ring certainly gives it a classier look, and to my eyes it's a better-looking model than the G-9100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,522 Posts
I agree with tribe on the cosmetic aspect. The G-9100 however, has much better and advanced functions.


cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,512 Posts
how about manufacturing quality? are they the same? which one is stronger
Identical. The ti bits resist rust, of course, but that's hardly a big problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. I find GW 9100 looks better but also the price is quite alot higher than G9100 as well. Im glad to hear that the quality between the two are about the same. i read the thread 'the gulfman dissected' lastnight and now having the second thought about buying this gulfman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,512 Posts
Thanks for your help. I find GW 9100 looks better but also the price is quite alot higher than G9100 as well. Im glad to hear that the quality between the two are about the same. i read the thread 'the gulfman dissected' lastnight and now having the second thought about buying this gulfman.
Why? Did you think the whole case was titanium?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,512 Posts
yes thats what i thought.

That's the reverse of the assumption that many people made when the model first came out. I can remember having a hard time persuading people that the bezel ring wasn't painted plastic. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,512 Posts
I don't know about better, because people will have different preferences. Personally, I think the GW-9100 is a very handsome watch, and the GD-100... isn't - by a long way. The GD-100 is also much larger than my preferred size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,522 Posts
@ patra,

I know you are new to g-shock's and therefore you might put way too much thoughts about "quality and thoughness" in it. getting VERY picky after about six years now and 50+ models I bought, sold and kept, I tell you they are all plenty tough and can take much more abuse than you will ever need.

for me the deciding factor whether to buy a G or not has now come to two points only: functions and looks. you might be surprised but about 90% of all models do not appeal to me at all, which makes decision much easier. from the remaining 10% I prefer those with a straight battery over a solar battery, which also does cut down the choices quite a bit. the latest G I bought, was over a year ago and is the G7900-3V (the olive green one). seriously, to me the 7900 series is about the best what a G can be - functions and looks wise. lots of the new models are nothing but fashion crap to me, - LED lights instead of superior el-backlights, ridiculous large cases without purpose, cluttered displays without purpose - may casio sell them to whomever, certainly not to me.

BUT - whatever you might like or dislike, one thing remains for all models: toughness and durability. so don't worry about those factors and look for the really important things, like easy to operate buttons, maximum legibilty, functions you might need and you might find useful. I do recommend to download the pdf files of the modules before making purchase decisions, this way you can avoid a lot of disappointments.


cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ patra,

I know you are new to g-shock's and therefore you might put way too much thoughts about "quality and thoughness" in it. getting VERY picky after about six years now and 50+ models I bought, sold and kept, I tell you they are all plenty tough and can take much more abuse than you will ever need.

for me the deciding factor whether to buy a G or not has now come to two points only: functions and looks. you might be surprised but about 90% of all models do not appeal to me at all, which makes decision much easier. from the remaining 10% I prefer those with a straight battery over a solar battery, which also does cut down the choices quite a bit. the latest G I bought, was over a year ago and is the G7900-3V (the olive green one). seriously, to me the 7900 series is about the best what a G can be - functions and looks wise. lots of the new models are nothing but fashion crap to me, - LED lights instead of superior el-backlights, ridiculous large cases without purpose, cluttered displays without purpose - may casio sell them to whomever, certainly not to me.

BUT - whatever you might like or dislike, one thing remains for all models: toughness and durability. so don't worry about those factors and look for the really important things, like easy to operate buttons, maximum legibilty, functions you might need and you might find useful. I do recommend to download the pdf files of the modules before making purchase decisions, this way you can avoid a lot of disappointments.


cheers
Thank you so much for you advice. Yes i have been really picky i do admit that:) for me i just want a simple watch...so far...i have got G2900, G7700, GW6900....i 'm thinking about getting a G7900 as well but just wondering if it is too big for me. I'm going to get one more watch + a G6600 and then take a break for a while...lol....4 watches in one week that's not good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,522 Posts
....4 watches in one week that's not good.
ah, it's actually pretty normal during the early stages of that sickness. I remember that I bought once 9 watches in one month during my "trial and error" period....:roll: :-d


cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
ah, it's actually pretty normal during the early stages of that sickness. I remember that I bought once 9 watches in one month during my "trial and error" period....:roll: :-d


cheers
Yeah... I bought/traded 8 recently and only kept 2. It's still fun though!

Honestly some watches look great, but once they're in your hand... Something just doesn't click unfortunately.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top