WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all...

it's been almost two weeks since i bought my 9300, and i have a Q about the moon age function on the watch. basically, everytime i have gone into the moon screen, the age has read 'X'.2 - meaning that the decimal has always been on '2' for every whole number value of the age. today it says 23.2. i am wondering first if this is normal for the 9300.. and second assuming it is normal, why is it programmed that way? can anyone shed some moonlight onto this?

thanks in advance,
mike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok.. nobody knows..
well, dont worry about leaving a guy hanging.
can anyone with a 9300 go into their moon screen and confirm that the reading is always _.2?

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
ok.. nobody knows..
well, dont worry about leaving a guy hanging.
can anyone with a 9300 go into their moon screen and confirm that the reading is always _.2?
For 7-15 mine says 26.2, but as I scroll forward:

7-16 27.2
7-17 28.2
7-18 29.2
7-19 0.6
7-20 1.6
7-21 2.6

You can do the same on your watch and you will find that the value after the decimal point is NOT always 2.

Sorry you feel like you were left hanging, but the answer to your question was in your own hands. ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thank you for the replies..

LUW... what do you use to dry it out? silica gel? air?

gaijin.. ty..i'd seen the calendar function, and yes also seen than when going through the dates that the decimal place would change, but upon rechecking on those days the decimal place would again be at 2. check your watch again on the 19th, 20th, or 21st... at different times of day/night. i'd bet a shiny nickel it will read _.2... mine has been doing it for two weeks and i am starting to believe that for some reason or another that is just the way it was programmed. it's good to hear yours is doing something similar.

i am enough of a geek to want a fully-loaded moon function, with rise and set times.

mike.

eta: ok.. i now see that the decimal will change with the next moon... i went ahead a couple of months and understand why i was constantly seeing .2.
thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
thank you for the replies..

LUW... what do you use to dry it out? silica gel? air?

gaijin.. ty..i'd seen the calendar function, and yes also seen than when going through the dates that the decimal place would change, but upon rechecking on those days the decimal place would again be at 2. check your watch again on the 19th, 20th, or 21st... at different times of day/night. i'd bet a shiny nickel it will read _.2... mine has been doing it for two weeks and i am starting to believe that for some reason or another that is just the way it was programmed. it's good to hear yours is doing something similar.

i am enough of a geek that it is kind of a bummer the moon age function wasnt more accurate. a fully-loaded moon function, with rise and set times would be my ideal.

mike.
It doesn't make any difference what time of day one checks the moon data, the value for noon of the selected day is always displayed. If the value is 1.6 at 00:01 on a given day it will read the same all day right up to 23:59 of the same day.

I'll take that shiny nickel now ... or you can wait to verify. ;-)

HTH

ETA: For each synodal period of the moon, approx. 29.5 days, your watch will show the same number after the decimal. So, your watch has been displaying a value of 2 after the decimal for the last 26 days or so. When the moon enters a new synodal period, the value after the decimal will change because the period is not an even number of days, and will remain the same new value for the entire 29.5 (approx.) day period going forward, after which it will change to a new value for the following period and so forth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't make any difference what time of day one checks the moon data, the value for noon of the selected day is always displayed. If the value is 1.6 at 00:01 on a given day it will read the same all day right up to 23:59 of the same day.

I'll take that shiny nickel now ... or you can wait to verify. ;-)

HTH
this isnt exactly true though. over one month the values should cycle through from 0 to 29.6 or so.. following the age of the moon. the decimal should be different depending on when i check the data. the way it is programmed now is almost like the current time reading 1:20, 2:20, 3:20, 4:20, etc.. all the time.

it is true that i owe you a nickel, however.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
this isnt exactly true though. over one month the values should cycle through from 0 to 29.6 or so.. following the age of the moon. the decimal should be different depending on when i check the data. the way it is programmed now is almost like the current time reading 1:20, 2:20, 3:20, 4:20, etc.. all the time.

it is true that i owe you a nickel, however.
:)
I agree it would be nice if the moon age data were more accurate, but it is not. All the watch "knows" is for a certain date, the moon age is x.x at 12:00 and that is what it displays all day.

Consider the nickel debt paid. :)

HTH

·
Registered
836 Posts
As my new G9300 will arrive tomorrow, I was kinda wondering about the moonphase feature. Am I correct in assuming that no setup is needed, other than maybe 'reverse' the phase? If so, I'm in The Netherlands...which 'reverse' setting do I need? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi daffie... you would be correct that there is no setup needed out of the box. depending on where you bought it, the watch should come already set up for the northern hemisphere, but just in case it isnt, it is easy to adjust so no worries.

congrats on the watch. which one did you choose?

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Moonphase is bound to the date you set. Apart from that - no adjustment needed.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
for the moonphase, don't you have to set the utc thingy to the correct negative or positive number, depending on your city location? I have a few G's w/ moon graphs, and in the back of the manuel it tells you what and how to set it depending on what city you're in.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Moon phase display is dependent on latitude, not longitude, so it doesn't matter on what time zone (longitude) you are, but your latitude - if you're North or South of the equator.
Usually when you set your home city the module takes care of the moon display (if IIRC the 3261 does that) .

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sounds good guys, thanks. I will set home city to Paris as always and see what the moon phase will show. In the meantime found a lot of info regarding the current moon phase so I can check this as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Have been busy checking out my new Muddie and of course the moon phase. It looks ok for my Home City which is Paris (The Hague actually) with a 6.3 days old moon and the indicator showing the part which is visible on the right-half. See July 25th on this calendar :

Moon Phases Calendar / Moon Schedule

The weird thing imo is that the setting is currently for the Southern Hemisphere (N > S). Shouldn't this be Northern? I have reversed it to see what happens. Of course everything is reversed, and the visible part is then the left-half of the indicator....which doesn't seem accurate.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Daffie, I'm wearing my G-7900 right now and I have the opposite problem: on mine, the dark side of the moon is on the left. Since I'm in the South, it should be reversed, but unfortunately the 7900 does not let you change that o|. But on my Muddy it automatically corrected it when I adjusted my local time. On both my 8200 and 1000 Frogs it was reversed, but I was able to set it right.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Daffie, I'm wearing my G-7900 right now and I have the opposite problem: on mine, the dark side of the moon is on the left. Since I'm in the South, it should be reversed, but unfortunately the 7900 does not let you change that o|. But on my Muddy it automatically corrected it when I adjusted my local time. On both my 8200 and 1000 Frogs it was reversed, but I was able to set it right.
Thanks and rather frustrating indeed not being able to reverse it!

Still I'm not sure how to interprete this for my particular situation? I'm guessing the view is correct for my Home City atm...but the setting is Southern...which should be Northern. Am I being a stickler here, or is something really amiss?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
No problems at all, I think it has to do with what market the module was intended for. I honestly don't care as long as I can get it right - one of the (very) few things I don't like about the 7900.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts