WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, picking one up at work tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has any experience taking the module apart? I gave it a quick once over a little bit ago, didn't see any metal clips holding the whole jam together. Chances are I'll just buckle down and figure out how to separate it, as I've already got some ideas in my mind. *evil grin*

UPDATE:

Module comes apart, but not easily :D o| :(

Let's see, I have FIVE springs sitting here now, and one hand missing (the tiny one on the spedometer, I believe it is.)
Darn me and not putting the module in a bag, hand went flying of course! Hahahaha

Oh well, all in the name of science, and if it comes to, I had least will have parts for another GA100!!! :D

And yes, I will still be buying this watch, obviously! ;)

BONUS UPDATE:

Found the small hand, it was on the mat in the corner, it blended in with the workmat :D
As such, the project will continue over the weekend!

·
Premium Member
14,097 Posts
I could never work in a shop that feeds my hobby/addiction like you do. I would end up working for free. Or worse, owing my boss money at the end of each week.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could never work in a shop that feeds my hobby/addiction like you do. I would end up working for free. Or worse, owing my boss money at the end of each week.

Hahaha, completely understandable. One of my higher ups at another location is a shock head, he doesn't help matters either :D

I try my best to refrain though! :D

·
Premium Member
14,097 Posts
Well at least you are a rare watch store employee, one who knows his products.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well at least you are a rare watch store employee, one who knows his products.

Haha, don't get me started ;) But hey, it definitely helps!

I must say, my favorite and hardest question to answer straightforward would have to be "Is it waterproof?"

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All components to the module tucked away in a bag, tucked in another bag, the larger pieces have been reassembled and placed in the casing, and screwed down. I can't wait to get started on this project! I'll try my best to photograph it all as it goes down.

Choosing to work on this at home as it's a smidge quieter and I'm allowed some more freedoms as well, haha.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here is a shot of all the internal parts.

One issue, I don't think this is a flipped screen, but instead the black color comes from the backside, which is a bit of a drawback for me.

So, in the name of science, I'm considering peeling the back off and then either trying to fit something opaque that I cut to shape or just using other means (Plasti-Dip, anyone? :D of course I would cover the connection lines so the screens can still get power)

Thoughts on this, anyone? This isn't an obscure watch, so should I damage it, another can be bought.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,264 Posts
There is just one way to make a negative LCD positive:
Other orientation of the polarisation filter.
Some people here in the forum sucessfully converted LCDs.....

Just look for display conversion.... ;-)

Well, here is a shot of all the internal parts.

One issue, I don't think this is a flipped screen, but instead the black color comes from the backside, which is a bit of a drawback for me.

So, in the name of science, I'm considering peeling the back off and then either trying to fit something opaque that I cut to shape or just using other means (Plasti-Dip, anyone? :D of course I would cover the connection lines so the screens can still get power)

Thoughts on this, anyone? This isn't an obscure watch, so should I damage it, another can be bought.

Reactions: TRSCP

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is just one way to make a negative LCD positive:
Other orientation of the polarisation filter.
Some people here in the forum sucessfully converted LCDs.....

Just look for display conversion.... ;-)
No, I know how to flip screens, but there is a slight problem, this is my current issue.

It would appear that both the top and bottom films are polarized. Going to slap it together with just the top film, see what I am working with, then go from there. Also going to take pictures along the way so others might be able to gather info about the guts of this watch.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,264 Posts
True, there a 2 polarizers one on every side of the LC layer.
one of the two need to be turned 90° :)

No, I know how to flip screens, but there is a slight problem, this is my current issue.

It would appear that both the top and bottom films are polarized. Going to slap it together with just the top film, see what I am working with, then go from there. Also going to take pictures along the way so others might be able to gather info about the guts of this watch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright, it works! :D

Picture time!

The two long springs are for the main analog hands, the other two for the smaller hand.

Thank you posts, you made placing the springs WAY easier! Don't turn this part upside down anymore ;)

This assemble of black plastic and two springs power the light, also not super hard to place.

Align the board as shown, fold over to be on top of the screen.

Springs making contact with the board, we have light power!

More posts to help align the board, two clips to hold it down (right around 10H and 4H)

Again, fold together, left onto right. Metal clips hold the assembly together.

Hard to see, but it runs! No hands because it's coming apart again, and probably again, haha.

Now it's time to cover that board, as it is actually quite hard to read the screens! Thought about flipping them to negative but that won't work with what I want to do.... I'll be back later! Ask any questions you might have :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to take a break from this tonight, still have some more stuff I want to do, but I think this is a good spot for now! :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How do I change the name of this thread? I feel it has become outdated, haha. Also, added some lume to the hands. No pictures for now because I want to redo it, not sure if I just need to add more or if the powder I used was bad/old :S

EDIT: Thinking of grabbing a kit from watchlume.com , was just curious if anyone has had experience with this particular company for lume stuff? Is it safe to use lume on the outside of a watch? I have so many ideas spinning in my head, and who doesn't love glow in the dark stuff?!?!

Future plans for this watch:

Paint the lettering/curves near crystal
More lume
Maybe some dial paint? :O
Maybe a new band/bezel to make it really pop.

Basically, I'm trying to toss as many colors as I can into this thing. I know having four separate colors for the screens is a huge improvement, but there is definitely room for more! ;)

Wait, if I wanted to add more color, why did I buy a mostly stealthed out watch? Because it makes it more fun!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another question....

Where can I get other color LEDs for this bad boy? It appears to be a tiny square LED with flat ribbons coming off to the side instead of straight back, then they are bent to hold it in the watch....

If I can sort something out, I will probably try changing to a bright white or a UV to charge the lume. Way better looking than the current amber, haha.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
in the name of science, if you keep going like this for another 7 months, we will give you the title "MODer of year", which is quite HONORABLE considering those who got it before:
1/ Kungfusion (holding the title for many years)
2/ Knives and Lint (last year 2014)

LOLz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts