WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
GS quartz for sure, or if you want a super (random) GADA (because you don’t have to worry about it, but it’s still sweet), a Seiko SUR307. Cost is a bit over $100 on Amazon and it’s really astonishing in terms of how much watch you get. I’ve had higher end watches, but I keep going back this. 40mm, under 10mm thick, 100wr (tested to the bottom of the pool with no issues), sapphire crystal, decent lume, sweet silver dial, and no worries if you lose it, break it, etc. Quartz, rated to 15 seconds per month, but my experience is that it’s more like +1 second per month (+12 seconds per year), and it ticks on the marks (lucky on that one, I think). Seiko just can’t help but make great watches, even the cheap ones! There’s a titanium version for a bit more, too. Only problem is the bracelet isn‘t great, but it‘s not terrible for around $100 (where else can you get a fully in house watch for that price—just Citizen and Seiko, I think). One note: the SUR311 (black dial) is less great because they put polished hands on it, and the hands disappear in lots of different lighting situations. The polished hands on the silver dial work great, though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Here's a watch you don't see everyday. One I never had and kind of always wanted. Is it the perfect GADS? Who knows? But I'd wear it daily.

The Rado Diastar

In both the more modern version above and more classic version just below it. Either are offered in multiple dials. Also, since the case is made from tungsten carbide, it's highly scratch resistant.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
What are some recommendations for a sporty leaning Go Anywhere Do Anything watch that meets the following criteria?
  • Non-diver but some water resistance
  • Comfortable metal bracelet
  • 40mm plus (7.5 wrist)
  • Some brand history (not a new microbrand)
  • $2000ish budget
Aqua Terra

·
Registered
178 Posts
GS quartz for sure, or if you want a super (random) GADA (because you don’t have to worry about it, but it’s still sweet), a Seiko SUR307. Cost is a bit over $100 on Amazon and it’s really astonishing in terms of how much watch you get. I’ve had higher end watches, but I keep going back this. 40mm, under 10mm thick, 100wr (tested to the bottom of the pool with no issues), sapphire crystal, decent lume, sweet silver dial, and no worries if you lose it, break it, etc. Quartz, rated to 15 seconds per month, but my experience is that it’s more like +1 second per month (+12 seconds per year), and it ticks on the marks (lucky on that one, I think). Seiko just can’t help but make great watches, even the cheap ones! There’s a titanium version for a bit more, too. Only problem is the bracelet isn‘t great, but it‘s not terrible for around $100 (where else can you get a fully in house watch for that price—just Citizen and Seiko, I think). One note: the SUR311 (black dial) is less great because they put polished hands on it, and the hands disappear in lots of different lighting situations. The polished hands on the silver dial work great, though.

View attachment 15812547
I absolutely love the SUR series; I now have a 307, 309, 311, and 371 titanium and rotate them regularly. With a screw down crown they would be the absolute sleeper GADA.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Tudor BB41.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
You won’t get an Aqua Terra for $2000 but it is a super watch. I have a GS Quartz SBGN009 and is very dressy and a great grab and go. I also have a Hydroconquest and an Oris Aquis and both are great GADA watches. Leaving Germany this evening on its way to me is a Sinn 104 St Sa and I have done a lot of research about this particular watch and if it’s half as good as people say it will be well capable of holding its own against those I have mentioned. I think any one of these would suit your needs.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You won’t get an Aqua Terra for $2000 but it is a super watch. I have a GS Quartz SBGN009 and is very dressy and a great grab and go. I also have a Hydroconquest and an Oris Aquis and both are great GADA watches. Leaving Germany this evening on its way to me is a Sinn 104 St Sa and I have done a lot of research about this particular watch and if it’s half as good as people say it will be well capable of holding its own against those I have mentioned. I think any one of these would suit your needs.
I have an aquis titanium but on rubber so it’s limited. Maybe I should just pick up the bracelet and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have an aquis that gets most of my current wrist time. But it’s on rubber so I haven’t had the Oris bracelet experience.
I have my Aquis (Aqui? I have 2.) on the bracelet...the best bracelet of any I own. Outstanding. As a matter of fact, I would consider the Aquis as a GADA. I know it's a chunky diver, but the finishing is really good, and the bracelet dresses it up nicely.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts