WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the ongoing but hopefully home straight now saga, I got my Sportivnie today and what a shame as apart from an absolutely destroyed dial the watch itself runs beautifully and there are scribe marks in the caseback so someone threw it some love over the years.

But for today's purposes, I had the stem out and thinking yep it will slide on in... nyet and so I finagled my USB microscope holding it all dickywampus in one hand sort of thing to try and get a looking in there and the old stem is stuck well in there and too much over the case lip to enable removal of the movement which despite the two screws holding it in, just won't move.

I couldn't get a piccie via USB microscope sadly but any tips or tricks to get the stem out? Or what is holding the movement in so rigidly?

The balance on the Gagarin is lovely and energetic so I have high hopes for this watch, the previous owner did say he had it serviced in his ownership because he didn't quite trust the grubby antique shop he got it from (love some of the tales from owners)

Yet ideas on tools etc to try and pinch the stem whilst I am pressing the detent button would be welcomed. My thinnest tweezers don't grip it, have tried all my tweezers including my locking ones but all slip off so this noob needs help from the masters :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Front loader. This is the 3 parts case: top (with the crystal), middle, back cover. Take a look and locate the crack and take the crystal with the ring off. The movement will be free.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again I am in your debt, at least I have learned to ask the questions first than having a proper go at it, breaking it and feeling a prize plum lol

I'm not destroying the Sportivnie, have now set my ebay eyes to try and find a toasted one with a good dial and then I have a perfectly good working one of them too :) Maybe if there is enough thread on the Gagarin once I get it out I can rebuild the stem using a thread extender?

After wearing the Sekonda square-date lens for a full 24 hours, I found I was not so bothered about having a smaller watch and if this Gagarin is good to go I want to have some serious wrist time with it, I do love the ornate movements on both the Sportivnie and the Sturm, the oiled "snicking" of the Sportivnie is very pleasant to the ear.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick after question, on the main jewel bridge, with the trinity of the three jewels, what is the jewel with the screw down plate for functions? It was this that aided me immensely in finding the right Sportivnie as there were several with just a plan inserted jewel and I had to narrow it down utilising this screw down jewel plate and often was offered ones with a round screw down plate not the capsule shaped one with the bridge shape completely different.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
This is the escapement wheel jewel. I am not a watchmaster so I am just guessing why it is different from the ‘standard’ jewels: it has 2 parts jewel. One is the jewel with the hole that holds the pivot. Then the 2nd jewel w/o a hole acting as a cap covering the 1st. The oil sits between the jewels. The 2nd jewel keeps the oil covered and protects from contamination and from the drying out. Escapement wheel is the fastest moving one and impacts the precision of the Watch the most along with the balance. Hence balance pivots and escapement pivots are frequently enclosed with these covered 2 jewels system (additionally balance jewels also have the spring for the shock obsorbsion).
I hope I had explained it.

Were you able to open up the Sturmanskie and extract the movement?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been a bit sidetracked with todays arrival from Aliexpress as going thru it all to check none of its busted etc but I do plan to get the old thing on a cushion this evening for some fun.

Think I also found a nice Sportivnie donor that can have its dial extracted for my one, comes with a stem too so will have two nice old 'uns for the display case.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well hats off to Mr Odessa there, found the little "nick" in the bezel and after some persuasion it all came off without scratching or destroying it all.

Movement popped out, put it onto a movement holder, pair of jewellers pliers on the stem and a little push on the detent and out came the snapped stem with ease.

Put movement back into case, stem in with a firm click, gave it a wind and its up and running beautifully.

So shaking with joy at seeing this ol' beauty working, I knew it would, I had faith hehe Now sitting and cleaning carefully the crystal inside and out and just a dab of rodico on the dial.

Any hints on the correct way to replace the caseback as I am not familiar with them?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You mean back cover? It snaps back. You can use a press or just your fingers. Just do not press on the crystal that hard.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I am stuck, can't get the crystal/bezel back on and frightened to break it, my press only has shallow shouldered dies and nothing that will push only on the metal :*(

Seems to be holding very good time too, got the crystal like new with my brown acrylic cleaning gunge so think this one is a keeper :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have put it in a sealed tub til later as want it to stay damage free and dust free too, its held up an hour without gaining or losing anything I can see so will watch it and see how its going at midnight.

Dunno how I am going to get the bezel back in place with the limited tools I have here.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Take a measure and go to homedepot or some hardware store and buy a matching pvc pipe. Or take a piece of wood and drill out a hole with a needed diameter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts