WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does it mean (please help with an example) of when they state a watch gains + - whatever amount of secs per day and does that go on until its minutes out of sync 馃 or does a new watch calm down and after a few days start being more accurate and for example each day is only certain amount of seconds fast but never exceeds that any more?
Because surely people can't be having to correct their watches constantly due to the fact they would weekly or monthly be minutes wrong? Where is the watch craft in that and the regulated movement would be nice if damasko could also answer?

Registered
So mechanical watches inherently are imperfect to the slightest degree which causes them to track time either fast or slow. For example, you set your watch to 12 o'clock midnight exactly based on some website that shows the time to the second. If a watch is 1 second fast, then at true midnight the next day your watch would say 12:00 and 1 second. This means that your watch keeps track of time at an accuracy of 99.999%.

Here in this forum and all others on WUS we find that fascinating, and even watches much less accurate than that are not only tolerated but loved. The craftsmanship of mechanical watches to even get close to their digital counterparts is incredible to me and will far outweigh the awful inconvenience of resetting the time every week or so. Even the "best" or most expensive watches are imperfect, and this is not something specific to Damasko nor something they need to address.

Sorry can't get to all your questions but that's a start.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly does it mean (please help with an example) of when they state a watch gains + - whatever amount of secs per day and does that go on until its minutes out of sync 馃 or does a new watch calm down and after a few days start being more accurate and for example each day is only certain amount of seconds fast but never exceeds that any more?
Because surely people can't be having to correct their watches constantly due to the fact they would weekly or monthly be minutes wrong? Where is the watch craft in that and the regulated movement would be nice if damasko could also answer?

Registered
Nope. It's totally fine to set the time on your mechanical watch. There is some discussion on whether some movements (the mechanism inside of the watch) can be damaged by excessive winding (turning the crown to get the watch moving) but that appears to be generally fine as well.

My recommendation for anyone starting in this hobby is to purchase a cheaper automatic watch first and read up a bit on future maintenance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
As a new watch when would your decision be formed that it is running too fast? Is there a certain time span to decide whether or has not been regulated to keep acceptable time? And what is deemed as unacceptable? Can an AD regulate a damasko in UK?
And do Damasko send them unregulated knowing(if indeed permitted) that the AD has permission to regulate them?

Registered
It is that number of seconds per day, on average, each and every day. It is surprising indeed that the cheapest quartz watch will outperform the most expensive mechanical one! But also, the number quoted by the manufacturer is sort of a worst case scenario which exists to protect them from claims of a faulty product. The precision of an individual watch may be much better. My new Hamilton Khaki Automatic is running at around -2 seconds a day, though the specified accuracy for the model is substantially worse.

Registered
Running fast is measured in seconds per day.

So usually if your watch is running +10seconds per day then every day it would accumulate

Example:

Day 1: watch is 10:00:10 and atomic clock is 10:00:00
Day 2: watch is 10:00:20 and atomic clock is 10:00:00
Day 3: watch is 10:00:30 and atomic clock is 10:00:00

This is the most simplistic example I can make. So if you don't adjust your clock by month end you could be off by minutes.

When they say the watch will settle down, usually this means the spd +/- will settle down to what the watch really is. But there will still usually be a deviation.

COSC certified watch are within -4 to +6 seconds per day. And tested in all five positions. The way you rest your watch affects the accuracy of a mechanical watch.

I've found ETA movements to be within +/-6 to +/-10 seconds per day.

ADs don't usually regulate the watch anymore. Unless you send it for servicing. But new watches? I don't think they would and would usually just tell you it's within specs since the tolerance they indicate is usually large. Unless of course it is running too fast or too slow, which by then they would service/regulate.

Registered
It's a bit surprising you have so many questions about the accuracy of mechanical movements when you already own one. Either way i think most of your questions have been covered in great detail by others more eloquent than myself, so you might want to use the search bar.

Edit: please refrain from duplicate posts

Registered
Just something to keep in mind

10 seconds off everyday means your mechanical watch (composed of dozens and dozens of small parts working together) has an accuracy rate of 99.988%

Would you stop using disinfectants because they鈥檙e only 99.7% effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Have you ever lost thousands of dollars because you were 12 seconds slow? If not, why fuss so much over trying to know the exact time, who cares and what does it matter?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just something to keep in mind

10 seconds off everyday means your mechanical watch (composed of dozens and dozens of small parts working together) has an accuracy rate of 99.988%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is that number of seconds per day, on average, each and every day. It is surprising indeed that the cheapest quartz watch will outperform the most expensive mechanical one! But also, the number quoted by the manufacturer is sort of a worst case scenario which exists to protect them from claims of a faulty product. The precision of an individual watch may be much better. My new Hamilton Khaki Automatic is running at around -2 seconds a day, though the specified accuracy for the model is substantially worse.
Yes additionally each day about 5 secs so far so about 30 in 5 days

Fantastic argument. No wonder you got so many #likes.

I would not stop using disinfectants which are 95% effective, to be honest. Same with a mechanical watch: 5% equals 1hr/day off => fine!!

Premium Member
Fantastic argument. No wonder you got so many #likes.

I would not stop using disinfectants which are 95% effective, to be honest. Same with a mechanical watch: 5% equals 1hr/day off => fine!!
You're fine with a watch being off 1 hour per day?

There was that one artist guy who wore a broken cartier, so it was on time twice a day at least. To each his own I guess.

Reactions: Zedloc and Ken123

You're fine with a watch being off 1 hour per day?

There was that one artist guy who wore a broken cartier, so it was on time twice a day at least. To each his own I guess.
Can't you see the sarcasm?

The artist guy was Andy Warhol.

Premium Member
Can't you see the sarcasm?

The artist guy was Andy Warhol.
I'm not good at reading sarcasm, sorry. I got it wrong. I'll do better.

Reactions: Zedloc

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Running fast is measured in seconds per day.

So usually if your watch is running +10seconds per day then every day it would accumulate

Example:

Day 1: watch is 10:00:10 and atomic clock is 10:00:00
Day 2: watch is 10:00:20 and atomic clock is 10:00:00
Day 3: watch is 10:00:30 and atomic clock is 10:00:00

This is the most simplistic example I can make. So if you don't adjust your clock by month end you could be off by minutes.

When they say the watch will settle down, usually this means the spd +/- will settle down to what the watch really is. But there will still usually be a deviation.

COSC certified watch are within -4 to +6 seconds per day. And tested in all five positions. The way you rest your watch affects the accuracy of a mechanical watch.

I've found ETA movements to be within +/-6 to +/-10 seconds per day.

ADs don't usually regulate the watch anymore. Unless you send it for servicing. But new watches? I don't think they would and would usually just tell you it's within specs since the tolerance they indicate is usually large. Unless of course it is running too fast or too slow, which by then they would service/regulate.
Great thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's a bit surprising you have so many questions about the accuracy of mechanical movements when you already own one. Either way i think most of your questions have been covered in great detail by others more eloquent than myself, so you might want to use the search bar.

Edit: please refrain from duplicate posts
You're obviously unhappy why even feel the need to reply 馃馃樂

Registered
You're obviously unhappy why even feel the need to reply 馃馃樂
It's a reasonable expectation in this forum that one uses the search bar for generic questions such as "what does gaining and losing time mean", not to mention duplicate posts about the same subject.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts