WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, let me thank the WuS administration/moderation team for having given their permission to post here what I am about to tell you.

Then, let me introduce myself. I am Anton Vallverdu, the admin of Relojes Especiales , the Spanish “most visited watch forum in the world”… after WuS, of course (lol).
As some of you might know, and talking now about watch projects (for this is why I am here today) we had the privilege of having not only one but three forum watches made by an AHCI member, Aniceto J. Pita. Then, and after some projects that were mainly customisations of pre-existing models, came the Buzo made for us by Crepas. Then the Type RE a customized Vostok and… what could we do in order to go further?

In 2013 we started what was intended to be a TTW: Total-Tool-Watch. Tough, basically functional and… different. But, how? As everithing about functionality seems to be already said, we decided to base its originality on other parameters:

- Shape: an unmistakable pattern that you could spot at once
- Content: a never used before movement. And not a vintage one
- Manufacturer: an Europe-made watch. In Barcelona, Spain

And, over all, a forum project. This means that no one is going to make profit on it. Not the forum nor the manufacturer.

About shape. Maybe some images help more than words:

We started thinking about Capt Nemo and steampunk

Then we thought of photography objectives, SuperCompressor cases, double crowns and “grippable” bezels

It was decided that further than extreme resistance and excellent readability, the Galerna should be a dive watch with at least 600 meters WR, with a helium valve and a GMT function. Also the materials, to be in tune, had to be different, so grade 5 titanium and aluminum bronze were chosen. To go beyond we would give the titanium a DLC treatment, increasing its scratch-resistance to levels of approximately 2000 vickers, having as a reference the 140 vickers of 316 steel. So, we will have three finishes: Titanium , DLC coated titanium and bronze.

And with the collaboration of the early interested co-forumners things started to come to life

The dial…

The hands…

Th whole thing

For the movement we found in Eterna a good disposition to supply their new in-house caliber 39. A modular device which you can configure at your convenience, so we chose the 3945A configuration, automatic with date, central second and central GMT hand as well.

And what about the watchmaker partner? As we wanted to stay aside from immediately previous projects (all Pita projects were made in Europe, but not the next ones) we thought of a well known brand here at WuS: Unity Watches would be our travel companion to bring to light one of the most complex –for us- projects ever made. Most of the materials will be machined in Barcelona, and in the case of cases (no pun intended!) they will be then sent to Switzerland in order to get the best polishing a human can pay. Dials and hands will come from China, though. We have made a transparency exercise and disclosed all percents.

And this is what we want the Galerna to be:
- Automatic
- 600 meters water resist
- GMT
- 45mm in diameter
- 16mm high
- Double domed sapphire with AR in the inside face
- 24mm between lugs

More or less like this:

Oh, and a ‘radical’ caseback. To avoid allergy issues, the aluminic-bronze version will have a titanium back.

As the icing of the cake, a Gunny Straps special-made-for-us model (canvas+leather inside) will be fitted:

We have already a synterized model with which e are making usability tests (real pics, no renders now):

The strap in these images is an optional Jacob Straps specially made for the occasion but, again, optional.

This is the official and OEM strap:

The price range goes from 1.190€ (1.390€ including VAT inside CEE) for the bronze version to 1.393€ (1.685€ including VAT inside CEE) for the Titanium grade 5 wit black DLC

This said, we *need* to be at least 100 subscribers as this is the minimun amount that Eterna –graciously and for once will provide.
We are about to start an Indiegogo campaign, but maybe you'd like to enroll along with the 60/70 already subscribers...

If you reached here, thanks a lot for your attention. If you have questions please do not hesitate to ask, to me or to Unity.

And finally, thanks again to the Watchuseek team for allowing me explain here our project. Our forum project.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
37,210 Posts
Warm greetings Anton!

Thank you for reaching out to us, this is a very well designed beast that I myself would wear proudly if I didn't have the wrists of a small child. ;-)

Best of luck with your project and reaching your Eterna minimum goal. The Eterna 39 is an outstanding platform to build a watch around as many manufacturers are discovering (just ask our friends at Biatec Biatec Watches). Here's a quick overview from our Intrepid Bhanu: Hong Kong Watch Fair: Eterna Movement and importance of Calibre 39 - watchuseek.com

Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Warm greetings Anton!

Thank you for reaching out to us, this is a very well designed beast that I myself would wear proudly if I didn't have the wrists of a small child. ;-)

Best of luck with your project and reaching your Eterna minimum goal. The Eterna 39 is an outstanding platform to build a watch around as many manufacturers are discovering (just ask our friends at Biatec Biatec Watches). Here's a quick overview from our Intrepid Bhanu: Hong Kong Watch Fair: Eterna Movement and importance of Calibre 39 - watchuseek.com

Brad

Thank you so much for your words and support, Brad!
I greatly appreciate them and would love to show you the Galerna when we meet - I hope at Baselworld next time.

I agree, the Eterna 39 is called to perform a great role in the industry in the years to come.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck. Looks like a very interesting project.
Looks cool. I don't think I could pull it off myself, but I know plenty of WUSers who would love this. Good luck!
Very nice!! Good luck with your project....
Thank you sirs! :-!

A little strange place for a date window, but otherwise the watch looks nice.
The date window location is in the pack of "being different" ;-).
Seriously now, it wants to be a wink to Ulysse Nardyn's hometime windows...
Thank you too

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Very masculine. Love the GMT window on the hand. No doubt lots sweat equity went into how far the project has come. Best of luck!

Reactions: Goldoff

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
Looks massive a more human size will do for me but I am stayin clear for anything > 43.

Reduce the wr to 200 plenty enough anyway, reduce the height by 4mm, shrink the case to 42 then yeah u got something for me :)
Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
^ Is true in general of many micros (understanding this is a project watch) why not have more at 200-300m? Plenty of depth for the 99%+ of purchasers. Granted I own some beast and love em. LOL

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Wow,... if you're comfortable with a bit of size and a look that is definitely not "off the shelf", there's lots to like about this one.
Congratulations and best of luck.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
I like a few things that have been done with this, but...

Please index the bezel fully, or offer the option of a fully indexed bezel.

Why do people design watches with really high WR and not bother to do the next most basic thing a dive watch needs and properly index the bezel??? The ISO for Divers watches requires that minutes are indexed on the bezel with the 5 min marks standing out further. If you are only doing a diver styled sports watch why bother with such a high WR (resulting in a 16mm tall watch)and an HEV?

I also think a coin edge bezel might add some refinement as its looking very blocky at the moment.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks massive a more human size will do for me but I am stayin clear for anything > 43.

Reduce the wr to 200 plenty enough anyway, reduce the height by 4mm, shrink the case to 42 then yeah u got something for me :)
Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt this is not a classic dressy diver watch. It's meant to be a rough one. Anyway, the lugs have been developed ergonomically, short and tilted, so as almost all wrists can wear it comfortably:

I like a few things that have been done with this, but...

Please index the bezel fully, or offer the option of a fully indexed bezel.

Why do people design watches with really high WR and not bother to do the next most basic thing a dive watch needs and properly index the bezel??? The ISO for Divers watches requires that minutes are indexed on the bezel with the 5 min marks standing out further. If you are only doing a diver styled sports watch why bother with such a high WR (resulting in a 16mm tall watch)and an HEV?

I also think a coin edge bezel might add some refinement as its looking very blocky at the moment.
Developing a brand new watch democratically and starting from 0 means assuming aspects we all didn't completely agree. People asked for a bezel as simple as possible, with few numbers and lines, in order to make it in a more "steampunky" way.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I like everything about this and the sketches, renders and 3d printed prototype really help making this idea come to life. What a cool thread! I love the date position as well, very quirky.

The only thing I PERSONALLY would prefer, is a slightly thinner and smaller diameter case. 30atm is enough and 42mm would be fantastic, but that is just nitpicking. Also, a green dial option for the bronze case would look amazing! :)

All the best!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No issues with size or bezel design and strap changes look like they will be easy the hands however just dont do it for me with the accurate movement being used lets "point" at the markers.just my 2 cents

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Developing a brand new watch democratically and starting from 0 means assuming aspects we all didn't completely agree. People asked for a bezel as simple as possible, with few numbers and lines, in order to make it in a more "steampunky" way.
Umm, there is nothing 'steampunk' about the bezel face design at all, it looks almost ultramodern.

That aside, I wish the project every success.

·
Vendor
25,690 Posts
Wow.

The design looks very cool overall. It's too big for me, but objectively, I think it's well done.

Special project watches always seem to divide opinions, and create lots of tensions over those divisions, but hopefully the end result is a watch that people who buy it really love, rather than a lot of people sort of like. Passion should trump popularity.

Best of luck with the project. I hope it makes all the participants very happy, and doesn't drive the people organizing it crazy.

klatapat yb snoitseggus cinomed neddiH

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
amazing design... case, dial, hands, all excellent...

but the size is out of my limit.
It reminds me helson shark diver 45... its very bulky and wide in the lug area.

Make it smaller and count me in.

Now it is ONLY for 7.5" wrist but better for 8" or more.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts