WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gallet Flight Officer Gen 2 w/Incabloc watch that I'm trying to decide whether to keep and collect or sell. The watch winds and runs, and the face/dial seems to be in good overall condition. However, the crystal has impact marks in three different places, which is really distracting. I was thinking of taking the watch to one of our local jewelers that specializes in watch repair to get the crystal replaced. My questions are: Does replacing the crystal make the watch less than 'original'? Does it hurt the overall value and/or history of the watch to have it replaced? Thank you for any guidance you may be able to offer!

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum. No, a crystal replacement should not take anything off the value (unless the original crystal has a diminuitive etched logo in the centre, as the old Omegas do - and then probably not much either!).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe that anything has been done with it going back a couple of decades. The winding seems to be a bit tight. I'm not sure what that indicates, but I'm guessing that getting it serviced would address that symptom. What type of price point would you normally expect for that type of work? We have a couple of different jewelers that do watch work where I live, but I don't know if I should just take it to the first place that's been recommended to me, or look for something specific...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the greeting! There doesn't appear to be anything on the original crystal and I know that it'll look 10x better if I get it replaced. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
41,218 Posts
Ask for a quote.
I don't believe that anything has been done with it going back a couple of decades. The winding seems to be a bit tight. I'm not sure what that indicates, but I'm guessing that getting it serviced would address that symptom. What type of price point would you normally expect for that type of work? We have a couple of different jewelers that do watch work where I live, but I don't know if I should just take it to the first place that's been recommended to me, or look for something specific...

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
get it serviced through a watchmaker and wear it in good health

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Hi New to this, you've got a nice watch there. It is the Gallet Flight Officer, and looks to be late 2nd gen or early 3rd gen. It should have the Venus 150 caliber in it. Unfortunately, it does show some rust marks, I hope the movement is in good condition. Does it run?
The LH subdial hand is not correct, so that tells me somebody has done some work to it in the past.

I'll PM you with some more info
~Daniel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Crystal replacement won't hurt value but ensure that the new one had a very similar shape/ profile as an original . Some people put these very upright/ bubble crystals on that ruin the optics when looking at the dial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a local shop ordering and replacing the crystal, with an estimated cost of $50.00 for parts and labor. That sounds pretty reasonable to me...since the new crystal will probably make a dramatic improvement to the overall look.

I took the cheap band off of it before I took it in, and the guy doing the work asked me if I wanted a 'period style' band on it, military style, etc. He said the choice of a band can totally change the overall look of the watch and make a difference if you're going for more of a dress or casual appearance. Does anyone know what type of band originally came with this watch model, or is the answer to that as broad as asking what color houses were in the 1950s?

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
I have a local shop ordering and replacing the crystal, with an estimated cost of $50.00 for parts and labor. That sounds pretty reasonable to me...since the new crystal will probably make a dramatic improvement to the overall look.

I took the cheap band off of it before I took it in, and the guy doing the work asked me if I wanted a 'period style' band on it, military style, etc. He said the choice of a band can totally change the overall look of the watch and make a difference if you're going for more of a dress or casual appearance. Does anyone know what type of band originally came with this watch model, or is the answer to that as broad as asking what color houses were in the 1950s?
This article has some old photos and advertisements.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-original-gallet-flying-officer-as-worn-by-president-trum

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Glad you are looking to get it repaired and enjoyed. You've confirmed that he is offering the proper crystal for this case? It is far from ordinary.
A period style band would just be a standard leather one, not fancy just functional. You can use something a bit more modern that has some nice stitching in it.
One concern, for $50, that can't include fixing the 'hard winding' that you are experiencing, correct? Do you plan on addressing that?

~D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I took it in, I did tell him that I thought it was winding hard. He wound it a bit, tested the button functions, and said that it felt fine to him. Since he's worked on hundreds? thousands? of watches over the years, I decided to defer to his opinion and not pursue it as an issue. It seems to run well and keep time, so I'm just going to have the crystal replaced for now. I know that getting it fully serviced is probably the best thing to do for the proper preservation of the watch, but if Gallet's service cost is any indication of the standard price to have that kind of work done ($875.00), then it's not in the cards, at least for now.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My only request is to grab a photo or two of the movement once the watch is apart. I'd like to post a photo of the watch on Gallet's facebook page, if that's alright with you. Once you get it back, with a spankin' new crystal and all.

For those who are not familiar with this model, it was among the first commercially released 'waterproof' watch case. Brevet 215450 is the Swiss patent number. The Flight Officer model was the first Gallet to have this, beginning in 1938.
Flying officer Venus 150 Brevet 02.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts