WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this one during some regular searches on the online garage sale. It just arrived, and works quite well. The bezel is pretty rough, and even though I took it apart and cleaned it, it won't turn without hurculean effort. I'll have to revisit it when I get some time.

It is running a smidge fast, but I plan on taking care of that with a full service. It's running a Gallet & Co. signed AS 1903 automatic movement. Not bad for about $65!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Hi there,

interesting: Jules Racine was known to be US importer of Gallet watches between 1924 and 1940. But your watch implies that at least officially this alliance contiunied to the 70s.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Roland,
Yes, after about 1960 the connection gets pretty vague. I have a feeling that Jules Racine wanted to make a name for himself rather than relying on Gallet - although it was Gallet that supplied the vast majority of cases/ movements to them. I have a couple Gallet watches with "Gallet by Racine" on the dial, I bet it was after the 1960's that he dropped all external reference to Gallet.
It would be interesting to spend some time over tea with some of the family members to sort it all out, if any direct relatives are still alive...

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
congrats on the watch:-!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts