WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new on the watch block and, although I have owned a variety of watches, I have never owned a pocket watch; hence, my registration to Watchuseek. I recently inherited a gold (including hands) pocket watch. After careful scrutinizing, I found the watch to be in perfect operating conditon. There are a few minor dings on the cover and back, but it is a beautiful timepiece. It is monogrammed on the outside cover as to its original owner. The markings on the inside cover from top to bottom read: 18K inside a shield; a person's head possibly with a tiara; PROBUS SCAFUSIA encircled, with I.W.C. in the center separating the two words; numbered 607804. The white-colored dial has "Galli-Zurich" in script at top and a separate second hand at the bottom. The stem is pushed to open the case. Can anyone give me an idea of origin, age and value? :thanks before hand!

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
In the posts at the top of the forum page, stuck at the top (hence the slag term 'stickies') is one on what we need to identify a watch. PICS!!! PICS of the insides of the watch are a thing of beauty and a joy forever...

Welcome!!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
A few things:
(1) It's probably an IWC watch based on the Latin inscription which means Schaffhausen Craftsmanship.
(2) Serial number dates it to approx. 1913.
(3) Galli was probably a jeweler in Zurich.
(4) We don't give valuations here but it's a high quality watch in a gold hunter case probably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the posts at the top of the forum page, stuck at the top (hence the slag term 'stickies') is one on what we need to identify a watch. PICS!!! PICS of the insides of the watch are a thing of beauty and a joy forever...

Welcome!!
uploading my pics is not favorable. It failed twice, even as a compressed file. Jer

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
A pity...

Go to www.photobucket.com - Register an account. It's free and easy.
Upload pix there and copy & paste the URLs surrounded by image-tags [] with 'img' and '/img' in them respectively. (without ' ', and surrounded by the []).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
The IWC motto "Probus scafusia" literally means "Good things from Schaffhausen" (Schaffhausen being where IWC are located). The former company flagship, the grande complication "Il destriero scafusia" translates roughly as "The Schaffhausen Warhorse" (or battlehorse - the English speaking community might say "battle axe").

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: Galli-Zurich pocket watch pictures

This watch is in perfect working condition. face and crystal like new.
Thanks for the photobucket tip. It worked! Jer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jerry Murray;1413373 This watch is in perfect working condition. face and crystal like new. Thanks for the photobucket tip. It worked! Jer[/quote said:
better size:

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

How about a picture of the movement. That is most important, although we are sure now it's an IWC.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Oooh man you're making me jealous! That looks like such a beautiful watch!

If you're going to use the watch, then definitely get it serviced by a good watchmaker, first.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

It's a beautiful movement. Looks like a 15 jewel IWC. Lovely watch. Please get it serviced by a good watchmaker. It's well worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took the watch to a Ben Bridge Jeweler. Although he was not a watchmaker/repairman, he had had some training. He agrees with you all. The Jeweler said that the porcelain dial is flawless, and that most watches of the vintage have developed fine fractures around the hands' drilled holes that have yellow discoloring. The Galli-Zurich dial is like new. He also stated that the type of machined "lined" knurling in this watch was made for the USA market, since the knurling originated in America; and that the machined metal is silver. Now I need to determine a value for this beautiful butterfy and exquisite piece of art, for insurance purposes. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The best of luck with what looks like an exceptional watch. Find an expert watchmaker and let him have a look at it.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Sadly, you'll be surprised at how low the prices on these beautiful antiques are. I don't want to get into valuations, but you'll find that a typical name brand dive or chronograph watch today will cost considerably more. It's a question of demand.
A normal jewelry rider on a household policy is usually sufficient for a number of these types of watches.
Most pocket watches have far more sentimental than actual value and in fact many are sold for prices that are little more than the gold in their cases. Good news for the collectors though.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
IWC movements are superb. Another good site for IWC movement ID can be found here....

http://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Fournitures_7/Fournitures_7.htm

As Hartmut already mentioned this is a cal 53.

I have a 1913 cal 64 wristwatch also with screwed in jewels,
it's interesting to note that later cal 64's, produced in the 20's, had pressed in jewels.... a compromise in quality to cost cutting production techniques I think.

Radger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Looks like something out of the Cal 53 series:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&0&2uswk&IWC_53T_19H5

...but don't ask me what the differences between the individual versions were. I can just about manage to tell you that Cal 52 (looks similar) is the lepine and this is the savonnette version.

Hartmut Richter
-----------------------------------------------------------

I received an email stating that nickel was used in the movement bodies of American exports because nickel held up better to the corrosive properties of salt water as watches were transported to America via ship.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IWC movements are superb. Another good site for IWC movement ID can be found here....

http://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Fournitures_7/Fournitures_7.htm

As Hartmut already mentioned this is a cal 53.

I have a 1913 cal 64 wristwatch also with screwed in jewels,
it's interesting to note that later cal 64's, produced in the 20's, had pressed in jewels.... a compromise in quality to cost cutting production techniques I think.

Radger
----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the FYI. Excellent source for identification.

I find that my watch matches the Savonette (HUNTER) cal. 53-18 et 19 lig. H. 5 a' targette. Crown location at 3 o'clock.

Do you have info about Galli-Zurich?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts

If watches were exposed to salt water during their transport to the US, nickel or no nickel they were in real trouble... I doubt the story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts