WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi G`zzzz

More hot news on www.Mygshock.com :-!

Hypebeast has posted some photos of an upcoming collaboration G-Shock designed by Garbstore. This stealthy black limited edition will be part of this British brand's 2011 Spring/Summer collection. The white details look great against all the black. The resin bands has a custom checkered pattern printed on it.

This is high on my wish list, since I was a good boy and didnt ordered me the standard GA-100 (black). But it's a limited edition, so it remains to see how expensive it's going to be. Any ideas on price!?
:-x:-xo|

Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its exactly same as the stealth GA-100 except for the strap, right?

Yes, that is exactly the same, but I guess that the price is far away from the ordinary GA-100.
Dont know if I should be happy or mad at casio on collaboration watches like this one. Setting a pattern and sell the double price is not cool. Some opinions about it!?:roll:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, that is exactly the same, but I guess that the price is far away from the ordinary GA-100.
Dont know if I should be happy or mad at casio on collaboration watches like this one. Setting a pattern and sell the double price is not cool. Some opinions about it!?:roll:
I'm with you Roham. But then a fool and his money are soon parted.

This thing is collectable though and may even increase in value but Garbstore really should have done something different from the standard watch. Even changing the hand colour or filling in the lettering would have made it stand out a little more.

Marc

·
Registered
20,934 Posts
Call me a fool, because I'd like one. Does anyone know how to get it?

·
Registered
20,934 Posts
I've been in contact with Garbstore recently. This model could be released as early as this or next week. They said the price would be around $185. Now, I know the GA100 lists at $99, but I can't find it anywhere online for less than $120. So it's really an effective 50% more, which is a lot, but I still think I want to get one.

·
Registered
20,934 Posts
I was holding out from one of these, but this one is cool!

Love the checkered band.
I was also going to abstain and just get a regular GA100 blackout model, but then I thought that life's too short to fret over $65. I like the checkered strap, but the little saying on it is what's selling me.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
The checker pattern should go all the way up the strap. It stops abruptly. They probably did this to keep the production costs down, which is unfortunate considering how much they sometimes charge for collaborations. I'm generally not a big fan of collabs that have only a custom strap. They should have a custom EL backlight as well, or in the case of this particular watch, custom hands or dial.

·
Registered
20,934 Posts
The checker pattern should go all the way up the strap. It stops abruptly. They probably did this to keep the production costs down, which is unfortunate considering how much they sometimes charge for collaborations. I'm generally not a big fan of collabs that have only a custom strap. They should have a custom EL backlight as well, or in the case of this particular watch, custom hands or dial.

I like that the checker pattern stops, otherwise the logo/saying would get obfuscated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got d the all black ga100.. $185 for this Garbstore x G-Shock GA-100 Collaboration? checkered strap? thats it?! u serious? not worth the price unless u got money to burn or an impulsive buyer. I would rather get a totally different g shock. nuff said.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Most of these collaborations are seriously overpriced, which is to be expected when you are paying for something that is double branded. The only reasons to get them are because you like collecting them and/or because you just happen to really like what they did with the collaboration. Even if you really like it, $65 extra is a lot to pay for a custom strap. The fact that they are often limited adds to the appeal...the idea of having something rare or special. Some people are not susceptible to this psychological phenomenon. I've gotten several collaborations, and while I realize their impracticality, I still like owning them. Most recently, I ordered a Passarella Death Squad 6900. I don't even like PDS's music or most of their clothes. Truth be told, I didn't even know who they were until I saw their G-shock Collaboration. But I knew once I saw the watch that I had to have one. It's not much different than a regular black DW-6900, and most people would not notice the details that have been added to the band, dial, or button. Most people will never see the caseback or EL image. I guess there is something about owning something that is slightly different, even if it is known only to you, and appreciating the little details that make it so.

I do think that collaborations should include a lot of changes, not merely the strap, even if these changes are subtle. My favorite collaboration is the black Bape 6900 from 2009. Rainbow letters, custom band, custom caseback, custom EL, custom dial... and even with all these changes it still doesn't look much different from a regular gloss black 6900. Do these changes justify the price? It is a matter of opinion. Practically speaking, no...of course not. But at this point we are not dealing with practicality and the cost of materials and manufacturing. We are dealing with the concepts of art/design and scarcity. Artists sell limited edition numbered prints all the time. These watches are similar. Some will see value in it and some won't.

People choose to spend their money on different things. I can't understand why people spend billions of dollars every year to go to stadiums and watch other people play sports, but I certainly wouldn't judge them or call them fools for doing so. Their money, their choice.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
That is very well said kung-fusion. I only collect the collaboration models because of the difference from the normal models. As subtle as they may be, for me that's what sets them apart, and also for me, it doesn't matter to me if people "get it" or not. I do.

Just an update, the Garbstore got the GA-110 in the other day and is available online. I do not know whether they ship worldwide as the store itself is in beautiful Notting Hill, London.

Couverture and The Garbstore » G-Shock Garbstore GA100 Watch

I, for one, will be going to the store on Friday and seeing what it looks like in person and if money allows it at some point in the next month or two (and providing stock hasn't sold out) I will be obtaining one. I only have digital G-Shocks (for personal reasons) but I think this is really fetching.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts