WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1121 - 1140 of 1344 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
No matter what the unit says no hand held gps will archive 2m accuracy, to clarify I'm a land surveyor and use high accuracy gps every day, if you want better than 7m then you need to pay $8k for unit that will get you 500mm, if you need better than that you have to pay $45k to get 20mm

You are also then comparing against the geographic accuracy of aerial photos...which is not good and varies hugely depending on where in the world you are

You have nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a hell of a lot of money. I'm guessing thats military grade equipment.

Does anyone know how the auto calibration altimeter function works on the Garmin Fenix? For instance, if I set the altimeter to continuous calibration, barometric plot to variable, mode to always on and interval to most often, I realise it uses the barometric altimeter to guage height, and auto calibrates it using GPS. But what is it auto calibrating exactly, height or sea level pressure? And how often is it auto calibrating? Does it use the normal 'most often' function it uses to track horizontal position, or does it auto calibrate, say, every minute, a fixed intervaI that cannot be changed? The reason I ask is because if it auto calibrates every second, then its essentially not using the barometric alterimeter, as its not giving it a chance to function. Or does it use a median of the barometric and gps readings?

Any idea?

CRS

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
How come this equipment manages to get such high accuracy?
A standard GPS unit measuring observations to at least five satellites will achieve your 6-8 m accuracy as an absolute position.

The equipment we use is a type of "RTK - Real time kinematic" GPS.

We have a receiver but as well as this we have a separate antenna the size of a dinner plate and a radio or cell phone link all mounted on a pole so the position can be calculated to an actual point on the ground - this is called the rover.

at various points in the city our GPS provider has permanent bases that are constantly calculating positions. they already know the position of the base to the mm however. The difference between the calculated position and the Known position is then broadcast either via radio link or cellphone data to the rover and applied to the position it is calculating giving us our 20mm. You can understand you have to be within a few KM's of the base for the correction to be correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starting to get the hang of this watch. Did a hiking session with it last weekend and the gps tracking and altitude measurement worked impeccably.

Im trying to create a custom profile, which ice done but struggling to change the data fields. Its split into hiking, navigation, indoor. If I go to gps mode, it has indoor, normal and ultratrac. But no hiking or navigation. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all... First time poster, and looking for more "personal use" information on the Tactix. Anyone have some updated information on this watch? I haven't seen a lot of recent anecdotes.

I'm specifically looking for pictures, durability stories, and just general likability of the piece. I'm a military aviator, and am fishing for info concerning how well it would hold-up in the operational world.

Thanks in advance for anything offered...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a beginners question on the Garmin Fenix and I hope this is the right place to ask. I should start by saying that I am technologically challenged. Any technology that requires much more than basic computer knowledge is not used by me. I don’t even like my smart phone. There are too many features I don’t really know how to use.

I own a Suunto Ambit 1 and I love it and its functions are within my capability. My main uses (besides the normal uses of being a daily wear time keeping device) are two fold: (a) for low key workouts with the heart rate monitor while using the walking machine indoors, and (b) using it on one day hikes collecting mineral and rock specimens as a hobby and for basic geological mapping (I am retired now but am a qualified geologist). I love how easy it is to download where I have visited onto Google maps and satellite photos. In Australia we generally don’t have detailed mapping of many areas so Google maps is quite good. I usually stop at interesting outcrops and mark them as waypoints and then take notes at that spot. At the end of the day, I generally download all onto google maps and satellite photos and eventually delete the waypoints to make room for my next one day excursion. I find all this very easy to do.

I am not dissatisfied with the Ambit 1 but many reviews report that the Fenix is a more competent navigation tool for hiking than the Ambit 1 and I am wondering if it would suit my purposes better and provide extra features I can’t even imagine at the moment. I have heard of the track back feature on the Fenix and I would like to have that ability, but to be honest I don’t believe I would use it much. I tend to use the Ambit 1 method of following the bearing back to my starting point (where my vehicle is) rather than backtracking the way I came. I also don’t generally plot a path to follow before I set out. I simply look for good rock outcrops as I walk during the day (and I usually am not on recognised pathways) and see where I have been at the end of the day on the computer. I always carry a dedicated compass, but not a dedicated GPS. I find having a GPS watch quite sufficient and I hate carrying too much gear. I have to admit, I am concerned that downloading my data onto maps at the end of the day might be more difficult with the Fenix compared to the Ambit 1 and seek advice on this matter.

My question: bearing in mind how I use the Ambit 1, would the Garmin Fenix (with its extra navigation features) provide a new dimension to my hobby and what extra features on the Fenix do you think might prove interesting for me.

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,129 ·
Sounds to me like you are doing just fine with your Ambit 1. Until you can identify a specific failing with your current watch, it doesn't seem necessary to manufacture a specific need based on different specs.

HTH

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I do not own a fenix but have used one and I would say the interface and feature set of the fenix is more complex than the Ambit and you may have those said features lying dormant and unused similar to your smartphone!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a beginners question on the Garmin Fenix and I hope this is the right place to ask. I should start by saying that I am technologically challenged. Any technology that requires much more than basic computer knowledge is not used by me. I don't even like my smart phone. There are too many features I don't really know how to use.

I own a Suunto Ambit 1 and I love it and its functions are within my capability. My main uses (besides the normal uses of being a daily wear time keeping device) are two fold: (a) for low key workouts with the heart rate monitor while using the walking machine indoors, and (b) using it on one day hikes collecting mineral and rock specimens as a hobby and for basic geological mapping (I am retired now but am a qualified geologist). I love how easy it is to download where I have visited onto Google maps and satellite photos. In Australia we generally don't have detailed mapping of many areas so Google maps is quite good. I usually stop at interesting outcrops and mark them as waypoints and then take notes at that spot. At the end of the day, I generally download all onto google maps and satellite photos and eventually delete the waypoints to make room for my next one day excursion. I find all this very easy to do.

I am not dissatisfied with the Ambit 1 but many reviews report that the Fenix is a more competent navigation tool for hiking than the Ambit 1 and I am wondering if it would suit my purposes better and provide extra features I can't even imagine at the moment. I have heard of the track back feature on the Fenix and I would like to have that ability, but to be honest I don't believe I would use it much. I tend to use the Ambit 1 method of following the bearing back to my starting point (where my vehicle is) rather than backtracking the way I came. I also don't generally plot a path to follow before I set out. I simply look for good rock outcrops as I walk during the day (and I usually am not on recognised pathways) and see where I have been at the end of the day on the computer. I always carry a dedicated compass, but not a dedicated GPS. I find having a GPS watch quite sufficient and I hate carrying too much gear. I have to admit, I am concerned that downloading my data onto maps at the end of the day might be more difficult with the Fenix compared to the Ambit 1 and seek advice on this matter.

My question: bearing in mind how I use the Ambit 1, would the Garmin Fenix (with its extra navigation features) provide a new dimension to my hobby and what extra features on the Fenix do you think might prove interesting for me.
i would say stick with the Ambit, one of the big differences is that the Fenix is more customisable...but it doesn't sound like you would use any of that, stick with whats working...and buy a Omega Speedmaster pro (WUS standard advice ;) )

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ultra Runners - Please don't leave yet!!!
I have more to add to the discussion, but am short on time right now.

I was a Garmin 310XT user for 2 years, having logged thousands of kms and many LONG runs. I then got an Ambit in July and have been using it almost exclusively (though I did also wear the 310XT for comparison for a few 50k+ long runs) since then. I have a Fenix on order, and will do extensive comparisons.

I am actually getting a Fenix because of some issues I have with the Ambit that I will detail later. On the upside, I have a lot of experience with Ambit, including a 50 mile race (Squamish 50).

I am shocked by all the people who say the Ambit distance is accurate. Once I dump it in Sport Tracks, it is accurate, but when running it is consistently 5% short on trails (less so on open roads). Altimeter VERY reliable. In fact I did 98 laps of a 400m track last weekend and it showed ±0m in elevation change. Right on.

More later... but lets work together. I admit some of your posts worry me about the Fenix :( But the Ambit has a ways to go as well...
Aspiring ultra runner here. So far only marathons and some 50ks. Been using my Garmin 610, but obviously that will not do for an 50mile Ultra. Also got a rim2rim2rim planned for the fall. I do get into triathlons. So Naturally the 910xt would seem to be my next watch. Heard the original fenix was not so good (possibly just early firmware versions) for ultra runners. I understand that the Fenix2 is annouced, and also the original fenix has received a number of firmware updates.

My question is who does the Fenix work for Ultra runners. Is it a reliable device in terms of monitoring and battery? I imagine (for the lack of other info) that quicker samply would be more preferred. But the drawback is battery consumption.

Any 1st hand views from ultra runners? 910xt. Fenix. Fenix2?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Has anybody put a different band on the fenix/tactix? I don't really care for the original and don't want para cord or fabric one either.
Kind of, I put an olive drab Fenix strap on mine. The only difference is the color.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Aspiring ultra runner here. So far only marathons and some 50ks. Been using my Garmin 610, but obviously that will not do for an 50mile Ultra. Also got a rim2rim2rim planned for the fall. I do get into triathlons. So Naturally the 910xt would seem to be my next watch. Heard the original fenix was not so good (possibly just early firmware versions) for ultra runners. I understand that the Fenix2 is annouced, and also the original fenix has received a number of firmware updates.

My question is who does the Fenix work for Ultra runners. Is it a reliable device in terms of monitoring and battery? I imagine (for the lack of other info) that quicker samply would be more preferred. But the drawback is battery consumption.

Any 1st hand views from ultra runners? 910xt. Fenix. Fenix2?
How long would you need the battery to last? i use mine skiing and can get 6 or 7 hours at one second intervals without too much trouble, the only trouble i have had with my fenix1 was fogging when i went swimming in a glacial lake...so cold, got it replaced and the newer ones seem fine, the fenix2 should definitely have that fixed too

one thing i have heard that might put the fenix above things like the ambit is it has normal lugs so you can fit more comfortable straps, i have the velcro one an extender for over my jacket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having Fenix since Friday, purchased with FW 3.10, I have loaded map and updated to FW 4.00 especially with virtual partner with the first try run around 30km on Sunday. I found this nice forum and plan to go through completelly. Anyway I'd have some questions already if someboby can answer, would be appreciated. Regarding virtual partner and navigation on previously recorded track - is there an function to use virtual partner as an "author" of loaded gpx file ? It makes sense for me to compare with somebody who recorded the track directly during the run or see if I was on the same hill last quicker or what's the delay and so on. This would be for me more helpfull than set constant pace.
Secondly, is there any possibility to change view (line) of recorded track on map, its' now light gray the same as rivers.
And last, when I would buy foot pod, would there be possibility to lookout cadence of steps and set some limit for alarm if I go out of this range? I know it's feature od forerunner 620 and fenix2, but only with HR band which I don't like to wear.
Thanks in advance for any info!

1121 - 1140 of 1344 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.