WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1550 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First day with the graphite Instinct. (I wanted the white tundra but it was not available...)

I come from Garmin Flagship the Fenix 5X Plus and I have decided to give a chance to the Outdoor watch.

Why ?
The price ! It is almost a third of my Fenix 5X Plus.
The lightness ! It is a watch to forget while on your wrist.
The display !! No colours but so easy to read, I first thought the backlight was blocked on "on" !!!
The Bezel is really protecting the glass.

Now I was not certain about the low resolution of the screen but eventually the display is so clever it is a pleasure to use: I don't mind about the low res... The fonts used are perfectly readable and the Instinct is generous in informations. The use of the "Eye" on the upper right with animations and pertinent information is absolutely brilliant.

The ergonomy is the almost same as the Fenix Series with little twists: for example hold the set key bring your to alarms/timers/stopwatch/GPS sync Time... And a long push on ABC get you to the ABC functions (a short press goes to the widgets like on a Fenix)
So the ergos are very clever !! And you got already a very easy to navigate into the menus and you can manage to be at a clock or two away from your favorite functions !!

Something I really appreciate: the watch is really responsive: no delay between the screens and menus. This is a pure pleasure to use it.

Black and white but gorgeous: there is something half vintage and half military in the way in this display almost like a e-ink watch. This is something to experiment in a shop to see how clear and and easy to read at any angle it is.

There is many more things I will re-discover on this very light (52 grams) and brilliant watch.
It is fast in GPS acquiring and fast also in "Finding My Phone". I'm amazed !!

Stay tuned for some update !

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Thank you for the presentation! The display looks like e-ink with great contrast. Tomorrow I'll drop by Garmin to see what's up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nemo_Sandman

·
Registered
338 Posts
Man I wish there was a solar version of this watch. Even a solar-assisted version, like the new Casio Rangeman. Casio Tough Solars have spoiled me :/

Thanks for the write-up though, this watch is getting harder and harder to say no to

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to quote Kristian, a fellow forumite on the Garmin forum, as he sum it up very well also about The Eye of the Instinct.

"Just wanted to express my enthusiasm about the circular display insert in the Garmin Instinct - how shall we call it, disc? eye?

The more I use the Instinct the more I realize that Garmin put REAL effort into how to leverage and best utilize this round insert. They went far beyond just using it as a gimmicky reference to the Casio G-Shock. I love that they customized the appearance of what are essentially little widgets or data fields specifically for that shape:
- the moon phase in the disc is nice and big, fits perfect into the circle of course
- the sun path between day and night is a nicely done circular shape
- the loading progress as a circle in the disc
- all the other watchface options customized for the full circle shape
- the activity icons when entering the activity choice
- the GPS connecting process
- the use of this disc as a separate data screen for the activies.

Well well done, Garmin. At first it seems a copy of the Casio's eyelet, but the more I use it the more it is clear that Garmin's use of this circle display insert is waaay more functional and elegant than Casio's."

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/instinct-aa/1419981-the-instinct-circular-display-insert-is-awsome-real-functionality-well-executed

100% agree. :)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Man I wish there was a solar version of this watch. Even a solar-assisted version, like the new Casio Rangeman. Casio Tough Solars have spoiled me :/

Thanks for the write-up though, this watch is getting harder and harder to say no to
I'm afraid it's still some ways off. Casio knows everything there is to know about solar charging, yet even they could only produce a solar-assisted GPS watch. Also bear in mind that the RangeBeast has beastly solar panels as well. The added features of the Instinct - HR sensor - draw even more energy.

Reactions: Queen6

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm afraid it's still some ways off. Casio knows everything there is to know about solar charging, yet even they could only produce a solar-assisted GPS watch. Also bear in mind that the RangeBeast has beastly solar panels as well. The added features of the Instinct - HR sensor - draw even more energy.
Agreed. But for me, that's why it would be "solar-assisted" basically meaning the more features you use (gps, HR, bluetooth, etc) the faster the battery would drain (the longer it will need to charge with solar)

Because my use case for something like the instinct would be to use it as a watch (time, 2 other timezones, stopwatch, countdown timer) with occasional compass. I would only turn on the HR sensor during my workouts 3x a week for an hour and a half, and would only turn on GPS while swimming outdoors / mountain biking / running which is about 3x per week as well. And maybe once per week BT to sync the workouts (if possible with cable, I'd do that instead)

My idea is basically depending on your usage, you "could" "in theory" maybe get away with just solar power, and have the charger there just in case or if you don't have access to much sun (looking at you, northern european climate for the next couple of months)

That would absolutely be my killer digital / do it all / workout / survive the apocalypse / travel the world watch

One can dream :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The GPS fix is fast and even made in "cover" situation". I live in a top floor and the fix is made "through the roof". Also in the entry of my building without seeing the sky (urban canyon) the fix was made and iit even surprised me !!

No drunkman syndrome. You can notice how accurate is it on the bridge far from urban canyons.

Heart monitoring. nothing new, look how the "grey" is done by playing with black pixels. this is really vintage in style and charming.

You can, like on the Fenixes, choose what information the display is providing...

In the eye is the indicator that I use an North oriented display, this is not a compass.

No cartography but it's not an issue for my use. Same for navigation as I use straight line navigation, I just need a bearing and the distance, the rest: I can manage.

Another easy peazy lemon squeezy feature: music control: it works perfectly and again it is fast in respond.

Knowing the Fenix 5X and the Fenix 5X Plus this Instinct is real pleasure to use, so fast and easy. I love the timer for example. You got the current time, the timing and the set of the timer and in the eye a graphic representation in circle !
It's one of the tool I need everyday and this is so clever that Garmin has gathered alarms/stopwatch/timers together at one hot key (SET long press) also clever to regroup the ABC functions under the ABC long press button. Those "in-house" shortcuts are just the expression of the cleverness of the designers.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
One thing that stands out to me is how FAST the GPS lock is. Indoors, it takes me 3-5 seconds. Outdoors, maybe 1-3 seconds. One video I watched about the GPR and the long trek he was taking, was how long it took for a GPS lock..I counted 60 seconds in the video. Not good if you lose a signal.

I think the vibration is more strong with the Instinct, than the MK1. The display is very nice, even for a negative display.

The ability to have more than one timer:

The ability in GC to choose your alarms..my Descent doesn’t have the option:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ability in GC to choose your alarms..my Descent doesn’t have the option:

Ah! I did not know that !! This is great !!

Very sharp beautiful pictures !! Thank you !

Yes this Instinct is really a new animal standing on the shoulders of various Fenix versions ! It is light and fast !!
SO light and sturdy I'm not afraid to wear on the right wrist with the B5000 on the left wrist !!

BTW
I'm looking for a way to transmit waypoint from GC or Garmin Explorer app into the Instinct if you got any hints ! :)

I can transmit from the Instinct to the Garmin Explorer app by simple sync but not the other way around...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ah! I did not know that !! This is great !!

Very sharp beautiful pictures !! Thank you !

Yes this Instinct is really a new animal standing on the shoulders of various Fenix versions ! It is light and fast !!
SO light and sturdy I'm not afraid to wear on the right wrist with the B5000 on the left wrist !!

BTW
I'm looking for a way to transmit waypoint from GC or Garmin Explorer app into the Instinct if you got any hints ! :)

I can transmit from the Instinct to the Garmin Explorer app by simple sync but not the other way around...
I’m not that strong when it comes to the Navigation side. I’m still trying to figure out how to Navigate and create breadcrumbs at certain points of my Walk, Hike, etc.

You should go back to your post on Garmin’s site, someone responded with an idea for you to try.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got an answer:

"Have you configured a specific Collection in the Explore app to sync with your watch? (have a look in the watch settings in the Exolore app to see what’s there already). Collections are a bit like Playlists in iTunes , when you configure to only sync a specific Playlist (Collection) with a given device; not just syncing the whole Library. Once a collection has been set up, you just need to select the Waypoint from the Library, add it to the Colection and then it should sync over to the watch. Happily anything new on the watch will automatically sync to both the Collection and Library on Explore."

From a forumite in the Garmin forums...And it worked !!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The more i look at this watch the more i like it.
Answer for a thread on G-Shock forum comparing this Garmin to PRW3000 is even more clear.
I think for every single PRW there will be 10-20 Garmins sold.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The more i look at this watch the more i like it.
Answer for a thread on G-Shock forum comparing this Garmin to PRW3000 is even more clear.
I think for every single PRW there will be 10-20 Garmins sold.
You know, I was actually thinking about this, this morning. This watch feels like wearing a PRW-3000. While it’s not fair to compare this to that, as the 3000 came out 5/6 years ago, it goes to show how far some companies have come and how others haven’t made a dent.

Baselworld will be very important event for Casio next year. If you see “more of the same”, then it may be a downward spiral for Casio. Their business model of coming out with different color schemes of the same watch for the collectors will only get them so far.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
You know, I was actually thinking about this, this morning. This watch feels like wearing a PRW-3000. While it’s not fair to compare this to that, as the 3000 came out 5/6 years ago, it goes to show how far some companies have come and how others haven’t made a dent.

Baselworld will be very important event for Casio next year. If you see “more of the same”, then it may be a downward spiral for Casio. Their business model of coming out with different color schemes of the same watch for the collectors will only get them so far.
It was discussed at G-Shock forum. Special editions work for them so far, but today Garmin as company makes more money and spends more on R&D than Casio.
Casio is moving at their pace and hopefully it will stay current.
Garmin never was a watch company, they been wearable company (meaning putting technology on your wrist) while Casio was and is watch company and design watches.
Example as BT watch Casio G-Shock with BT 6900 has 2yr battery life, it not even limitation for designers at Garmin.
Casio not really into GPS running watches at all while Garmin is.
It just happened what people can live with wearable since it looks like (ghmmmm size of modern watches) modern watch and really OK to charge it (it takes 30min during morning coffee anyway).

·
Registered
4 Posts
This review might possibly make me buy the instinct before black Friday! It's honestly between the instinct and the Fenix 5 sapphire (not plus). Does anyone know if you can push sleep patterns and heart monitor functions to GC through BT or does it have to be hard wired?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Heart rate and sleep patterns upload to Garmin Connect via your phone’s Bluetooth automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 1550 Posts