WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for an ABC. Leaned toward the mud master but I’ve had one before and I haven’t owned a GBDH. It seems to have the other beat in every way. I need to hear what I’m missing if anything.
Style wise I love them all and the Gwg the best but I like the MIP display.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,952 Posts
for my money ..

if you want a runner's watch and must have a G-Shock, then get the GBDH. (I actually would go with the Garmin Instinct Solar or a Fenix 5/5 plus/6 instead as a runner's watch)

if you must have an analog (portion of a) display, then Mudmaster.

for all other cases, get the GRP Rangeman.

I voted with my wallet, I own both a Garmin Fenix 5X and GRP Rangeman. I bought the GRP after GBDH was release. Having read all the reviews about the watch, I know the GBDH is not the watch for me, then I go and re-bought myself the GRP (again).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@stockae92
I see. I have owned a GRP AND found it to be too heavy and “block like” as far as the design and girth. Also the wheel button and adjusting it in general seems a bit arduous. The main reason I sold it. But considering I did like the look of it the GBDH does seem similar. All I need is ABC function and maybe sunrise/set solar and that MIP display. I guess I should have said I was thinking a 9400 rangeman.
Thanks for the post:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
@stockae92
I see. I have owned a GRP AND found it to be too heavy and “block like” as far as the design and girth. Also the wheel button and adjusting it in general seems a bit arduous. The main reason I sold it. But considering I did like the look of it the GBDH does seem similar. All I need is ABC function and maybe sunrise/set solar and that MIP display. I guess I should have said I was thinking a 9400 rangeman.
Thanks for the post:)
If it has to be a G-Shock, then 9400 rangeman is the better choice size wise. But you might wanna consider pro treks like prg-250. I have one and it wears better than 9400. The display is also bigger and more legible imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
if youre after a mip display abc watch then the gbdh is the way to go. the gprb def. has a blocky feel to it while the gbdh tapers off and even tho its bigger on paper it wears fine on my sub 7" wrist. its also very well priced compared to the gprb and not much extra over the original rrp of the 9400

·
Registered
347 Posts
gwg-1000 is just too big and heavy to wear and no "real" abc watch, its a tough fashion watch. gw-9400 has the lug problem and isnt fine to wear. both suffer from barometric pressure sensors and a prone to fail compass.

if classic abc watch, better some newer pro trek. if more reliable abc watch in terms of measurements: garmin instinct.

of course depends on what u wish in a watch. if size and price is no prob, maybe the gpr-b1000 is a try.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hands down consider the PRW-3100 for a smaller size. It has all the functions of the GW9400 and is super legible. I have them both and I believe the PRW-3100 is only 12mm thick. The STN display quite frankly puts the GW9400 to shame. It wears MUCH smaller on the wrist.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
gwg-1000 is just too big and heavy to wear and no "real" abc watch, its a tough fashion watch. gw-9400 has the lug problem and isnt fine to wear. both suffer from barometric pressure sensors and a prone to fail compass.

if classic abc watch, better some newer pro trek. if more reliable abc watch in terms of measurements: garmin instinct.

of course depends on what u wish in a watch. if size and price is no prob, maybe the gpr-b1000 is a try.
😂 you say the gwg is too big and heavy but you recommend the bigger and heavier gprb? haha
the gwg is large but wears very well for a large watch, even on a sub 7" wrist like mine. it has abc functions so its a "real" abc watch.
theres no lug problem with the 9400, why you lying? it wears very well on most wrists, unless you have a tiny sub 6" wrist or only like tiny watches and if the OP did, he wouldnt be asking in the G forum.
prone to failing compass?? this is new to me and the thousands of other 9400s on this forum. why you lying?

·
Registered
347 Posts
😂 you say the gwg is too big and heavy but you recommend the bigger and heavier gprb? haha
the gwg is large but wears very well for a large watch, even on a sub 7" wrist like mine. it has abc functions so its a "real" abc watch.
theres no lug problem with the 9400, why you lying? it wears very well on most wrists, unless you have a tiny sub 6" wrist or only like tiny watches and if the OP did, he wouldnt be asking in the G forum.
prone to failing compass?? this is new to me and the thousands of other 9400s on this forum. why you lying?

buddy im sry, we cant make this so personal here. as u are so unsympathic to me and calling me things, im not in need of contact with u or people like u. if u need this, write me a note.

so, to answer this: search for the gw-9400 lug problem in this forum, look at the lugs of the gw-9400 urself. its simple to recognize.
compass failure: happened to me several times, also with other watches that have such compasses. means im not lying, im simply using watches and reporting what i experience, looking at the technological aspect. as its stated in the manual, too: its not a reliable tool, its a backup. im pretty sure if such watches were foolproof, the people/military/scientists/etc around the world who trust their lives on such would use that watches instead of real compasses, dont u think?

i recommended the gpr-b1000, as its a "real" tool, as it uses gps technology and is solar powered.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
buddy im sry, we cant make this so personal here. as u are so unsympathic to me and calling me things, im not in need of contact with u or people like u. if u need this, write me a note.

so, to answer this: search for the gw-9400 lug problem in this forum, look at the lugs of the gw-9400 urself. its simple to recognize.
compass failure: happened to me several times, also with other watches that have such compasses. means im not lying, im simply using watches and reporting what i experience, looking at the technological aspect. as its stated in the manual, too: its not a reliable tool, its a backup. im pretty sure if such watches were foolproof, the people/military/scientists/etc around the world who trust their lives on such would use that watches instead of real compasses, dont u think?

i recommended the gpr-b1000, as its a "real" tool, as it uses gps technology and is solar powered.
nothing personal at all and i havent called you anything, i do however dispute strongly the perpetuation of the nonsense about the 9400 lugs and classing your own personal bad luck as something wide spread across the range.
yes im well aware of the many threads, all with the same nonsense. less than 10 cases out of the thousands in this forum alone. all during extreme conditions, heavy abuse or with aftermarket adapters. theyre the same lugs used on the gdx, gulfman, riseman and gaussman so, no, its not simple to recognise because it has worked for decades.

just cos you had a couple bad experiences doesnt make it apply to the whole range and shouldnt be untruthfully implied as such. a more accurate description would have been "i have had problems with the sensors and compass, however there have been little to no other reported cases"

exactly, the manual says its best as a guide and the smart thing for anyone when needing a tool for LIFE AND DEATHHHH is to buy a dedicated device. no one needs a watch for life and death but if they need a compass and dont have one/dont want to carry an extra one then is more than suitable and plenty accurate.

you didnt say real tool, you said real abc watch, which is what i referred to. afaik, the gwg, 9400 and gprb all use the same v3 sensor. the gprb uses gps for navigation and route tracking but the onboard compass can be used without gps. (and theyre all solar....and the gprb is the biggest and heaviest of all of them)

·
Registered
250 Posts
gwg-1000 is just too big and heavy to wear
Lots of people wear them day to day, including me. It totally depends on the individual.

gw-9400 has the lug problem and isnt fine to wear.
Not this lug nonsense again. If every lug issue reported with the 9400 series is actually a defect (which is arguable IMO, some are clearly usage and modification related), the number of reported failures is absolutely minuscule compared with the number of 9400 Rangers in daily use. Again, lots of people happily wear 9400's day to day, including me, often in extremely harsh situations.

gwg-1000 is just too big and heavy to wear
<SNIP>
maybe the gpr-b1000 is a try.
.... just * S I G H *. Of the watches under discussion here (specifically 9400 Rangers, GWG-1000 Muddies and the GPR Rangebeast), the Rangebeast is, both for me and most other people, definitely the least wearable. And again, I own all three and wear them all daily. I would also argue that the ABC functions on the Rangebeast (a watch I love) while working fine, are way less usable than the 9400 series Rangers.

Honestly, I've had so much help, information and entertainment from this watch forum, but when I run across a post like this I just shake my head.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry - Coming in late to this.
I have experience with both the 9400, and the GBDH1000. Ultimately, I sent the GBDH back and bought a Polar Vantage M. The GBDH is thicker and bulker than the Rangeman. GPS acquisition took 45 seconds (versus like 5 sec for the Polar, and there is a reason for the difference). Standing on my driveway waiting for GPS drove me crazy. Also had a problem with the Move App due to the Android App update of July 7 which broke watch-phone connectivity. Overall, I had very high hopes for the GBDH. I really wanted it to work, but no go.

·
Registered
863 Posts
At one point, I had all 3 watches. I can talk about wearability, since I only use the watches to tell time, I don't use any of the GPS or other features. Despite being bigger on paper (in one dimension) than the GPRB, the GBDH wears a lot better on my small (~6.5") wrist. I was actually a little shocked at how comfortable it is, compared to the GPRB and GWG. Before that, I had kind of resigned my self to being uncomfortable any time I wore the GPRB or GWG.

After wearing the GBDH a couple of times, I sold the GPRB since the GBDH is so much more comfortable. As a bonus, the GBDH display is slightly brighter and crisper than the one in the GPRB which helps my aging eyes. I kept the GWG to have an analog G-Shock but, if push came to shove, I'd keep the GBDH above the GWG as well.

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry - Coming in late to this.
I have experience with both the 9400, and the GBDH1000. Ultimately, I sent the GBDH back and bought a Polar Vantage M. The GBDH is thicker and bulker than the Rangeman. GPS acquisition took 45 seconds (versus like 5 sec for the Polar, and there is a reason for the difference). Standing on my driveway waiting for GPS drove me crazy.
Rangebeast is also unbelievably slow to get a GPS lock too IMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Rangebeast is also unbelievably slow to get a GPS lock too IMO
As I understand it, the running watches (Polar & Garmin to be precise) download an "A-GPS" file to the watch that gives the watch precise GPS satellite coordinates so it knows how to look. It updates every two weeks and that's what you have to do if you want your watch to find and lock GPS quickly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As I understand it, the running watches (Polar & Garmin to be precise) download an "A-GPS" file to the watch that gives the watch precise GPS satellite coordinates so it knows how to look. It updates every two weeks and that's what you have to do if you want your watch to find and lock GPS quickly.
I am not an expert but I don't think that is the case. My understanding is that A-GPS requires servers and cellular data. My wife's Garmin definitely doesn't have any sort of network connection and it is not "instant GPS lock" by any means, but it is ridiculously faster than my Rangebeast. I have drones which definitely don't use A-GPS and they are faster too. After receiving enough satellite information, GPS is a bunch of fancy time-sync and math/trig operations and I believe that the Rangebeast is simply a bit under-processored in order to improve battery/charging. The fact that some of the (particularly older) running watches need frequent recharging supports this I think.

For the intended use of the Rangebeast I think that is a reasonably tradeoff. But it sure is slow and annoying when you're itching to get going.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I am not an expert but I don't think that is the case. My understanding is that A-GPS requires servers and cellular data. My wife's Garmin definitely doesn't have any sort of network connection and it is not "instant GPS lock" by any means, but it is ridiculously faster than my Rangebeast. I have drones which definitely don't use A-GPS and they are faster too. After receiving enough satellite information, GPS is a bunch of fancy time-sync and math/trig operations and I believe that the Rangebeast is simply a bit under-processored in order to improve battery/charging. The fact that some of the (particularly older) running watches need frequent recharging supports this I think.

For the intended use of the Rangebeast I think that is a reasonably tradeoff. But it sure is slow and annoying when you're itching to get going.
It seems there are multiple ways to get GPS ephemeris data (A-GPS), one of which is downloading the data directly from the GPS satellites.

·
Registered
49 Posts

yeah. I'm definitely not an expert, but my Polar manual say it uses it. Syncs it from the app or computer.
Not sure.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
My dudes, the GPR Rangebeast was slow and outdated the day it was released. It has high-end materials (sapphire crystal, ceramic caseback, carbon fiber band) and fit & finish with that clunky interface and lo-fi display. But that's what makes it so damn cool! It just feels like a Casio R&D experiment that wasn't supposed to actually be released but somebody f'ed up and let it out. :ROFLMAO: At the end of the day, it's still a GPS watch that is solar-powered, which is pretty damn cool. (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts