WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Registered
I love my GD350, and I am sorry to see the model discontinued. But if you go by the WRUW threads, the GD350 was never a popular model. Again, the uniqueness (of a mass-market watch model!) is one reason I like wearing mine.

Casio makes aesthetic watches, and also tool/EDC watches. The GD350 looks like it was intended to be the latter, and there it had a fatal design flaw--the module was too large, making the watch too bulky: too heavy and too thick!

Now Casio did an excellent job of mitigating the GD350's bulkiness--its "wings" make out very comfortable to wear--but an EDC tool needs to be invisible when not being used. The DW5600 series accomplishes this, disappearing on the wrist, which offering 2/3 the functionality of the GD350, so it remains popular...

The GD350's vibe alarm is excellent, its digital screen is highly legible, and exposing the countdown timer to the home screen is really useful. I wear mine whenever I think I'll need one of its unique features--but then I always end up swapping it for a different GShock soon after I'm done using it, because its thickness keeps getting in the way... It doesn't just not fit under a shirt cuff, it doesn't fit comfortably under a jacket sleeve either!

Registered
I love my GD350, and I am sorry to see the model discontinued. But if you go by the WRUW threads, the GD350 was never a popular model. Again, the uniqueness (of a mass-market watch model!) is one reason I like wearing mine.

Casio makes aesthetic watches, and also tool/EDC watches. The GD350 looks like it was intended to be the latter, and there it had a fatal design flaw--the module was too large, making the watch too bulky: too heavy and too thick!

Now Casio did an excellent job of mitigating the GD350's bulkiness--its "wings" make out very comfortable to wear--but an EDC tool needs to be invisible when not being used. The DW5600 series accomplishes this, disappearing on the wrist, which offering 2/3 the functionality of the GD350, so it remains popular...

The GD350's vibe alarm is excellent, its digital screen is highly legible, and exposing the countdown timer to the home screen is really useful. I wear mine whenever I think I'll need one of its unique features--but then I always end up swapping it for a different GShock soon after I'm done using it, because its thickness keeps getting in the way... It doesn't just not fit under a shirt cuff, it doesn't fit comfortably under a jacket sleeve either!
i have to disagree with most of that. the 350 is a little larger but still smaller than modern day average models like the ga100/110. the obvious point of the model is an upgrade on the square. its squarer than a square and it puts its extra size to good use with a big clear display, big glove friendly buttons and a 5th light button. its around 75g so its pretty much bang on average for the basic resin Gs. the wrist guards arent there to fix a design flaw as there are plenty of larger models without them and smaller ones with them.
it was a very popular model for years when it was first released for the reasons i mentioned but it has been around for 8 or so years so of course ppl have moved on or cos its a plain ol beater, they just choose to post more "showier" models. tho its rather foolish to use wus wruw threads as a popularity gauge, since its always mostly squares lol
the fact that it had an 8 year run says exactly how popular its been.

Registered
G-Shock GD350 3403
So so sad... I love mine!! It鈥檚 a great watch that鈥檚 lasted me for years.

I鈥檓 going to keep mine forever... to because it has value, but because of the sentiment. :)

Registered
i have to disagree with most of that. the 350 is a little larger but still smaller than modern day average models like the ga100/110. the obvious point of the model is an upgrade on the square. its squarer than a square and it puts its extra size to good use with a big clear display, big glove friendly buttons and a 5th light button. its around 75g so its pretty much bang on average for the basic resin Gs. the wrist guards arent there to fix a design flaw as there are plenty of larger models without them and smaller ones with them.
it was a very popular model for years when it was first released for the reasons i mentioned but it has been around for 8 or so years so of course ppl have moved on or cos its a plain ol beater, they just choose to post more "showier" models. tho its rather foolish to use wus wruw threads as a popularity gauge, since its always mostly squares lol
the fact that it had an 8 year run says exactly how popular its been.
Counterpoint: the DW-9052.

I've always assumed that the reason the GD-350 is so large is its Vibe Alarm. Now the GBX-100 (and GBD-200?) offer that in a much smaller package.

Registered

I've always assumed that the reason the GD-350 is so large is its Vibe Alarm. Now the GBX-100 (and GBD-200?) offer that in a much smaller package.
What about the DW-9052? To echo your earlier point, I hardly ever see that model in WWRUW threads (ironically, I just posted one because I just picked the model up for the first time this weekend) but it seems to be one of Casio's more popular models. If you are referencing the wings... I'm not really sure what is going on back there. I thought someone stole the wings off of mine until I looked up pictures and those black bars going across the back seem to be by design. Haha.

The GD-350's size is in line with the rest of the G-Shock line during that timeframe (GDX-6900 was introduced around the same time and the 8900 (and GX-56?) a couple years before that. Bigger watches were the thing back then. I do remember the hype about the GD-350 when it first came out, but then the buzz died down a little bit. I wonder if that is what happened to sales as well?

Registered
What about the DW-9052? To echo your earlier point, I hardly ever see that model in WWRUW threads (ironically, I just posted one because I just picked the model up for the first time this weekend) but it seems to be one of Casio's more popular models. If you are referencing the wings... I'm not really sure what is going on back there. I thought someone stole the wings off of mine until I looked up pictures and those black bars going across the back seem to be by design. Haha.

The GD-350's size is in line with the rest of the G-Shock line during that timeframe (GDX-6900 was introduced around the same time and the 8900 (and GX-56?) a couple years before that. Bigger watches were the thing back then. I do remember the hype about the GD-350 when it first came out, but then the buzz died down a little bit. I wonder if that is what happened to sales as well?
I think the GD-350 wings work really well. I don't know how others live, but the reason I don't wear my GD-350 as much as I'd like is that it's so thick, it catches on everything...

I've found that large watches wear fine, on my wrist, but the GD-350 is also thick, which ends up irritating me even though the strap+wings are very comfortable.

I think the 9052 continues to sell because it's just not as thick as the 350, even though the 350 is a better module in all respects.

Registered
I think the GD-350 wings work really well. I don't know how others live, but the reason I don't wear my GD-350 as much as I'd like is that it's so thick, it catches on everything...

I've found that large watches wear fine, on my wrist, but the GD-350 is also thick, which ends up irritating me even though the strap+wings are very comfortable.

I think the 9052 continues to sell because it's just not as thick as the 350, even though the 350 is a better module in all respects.
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess having Kings in my collection makes everything else seem more manageable! 馃槃 I mostly have a problem with those when wearing long sleeves or certain jackets.

Registered

not sure how the 9052 is a counter point to your personal preferences/gripes and some misconceptions. its essentially a 6900 with bigger buttons and small wrist guards and not really comparable to the 350

its def. weird how the 9052 keeps coming back with rather sporadic releases, seems its a darling for someone at HQ but its more likely due to it being a bargain basement model than the fact that the 350 is thicker, which as mentioned is on par with average Gs and is only thick at its bumpers which dont even go the whole way round.

im curious as to what large watches you have that are bigger than the 350 but wear fine, i find the 350 as def. one of the better fitting models and agree its thanks to the guards.

Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
While the GD-350 is a fairly thick watch, it doesn't catch on clothing as much as some other thick G's i've had. This is down to the contours of the case that have curved edges, this makes it slide under clothing better.
The wings i couldn't get on with and found them real hair pullers, instead of removing them, i just cut them down a bit. Had the same issue with the G-7900 i used to have.

Registered
My go to watch for outdoorsy stuff especially when running at night. Very good legibility all around.

Glad i got mine a few months back albeit it's a pre-owned one.

Watch Clock Everyday carry Rectangle Gadget

to be or not to be, that always confuses me.

Registered
Having the negative display version, I'd been considering a grey model (w/positive display) for a while, and this discontinuation announcement was the push I needed.

But if in 18 months Casio decides to restart production, I'll never trust their discontinuation announcements again as more than a sales boost ploy.

The GD-350-8 ordered from eBay never arrived (GRR). At least my request for eBay to look into that has resulted in an immediate refund.

Luckily I've found one on Amazon (which I loathe, but damn you can't fault them for service).

Ebay had better up their offering, there's very little I'd go through them for now, there seems to be more spoofers and dodgy listings than ever.

Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
The GD-350-8 ordered from eBay never arrived (GRR). At least my request for eBay to look into that has resulted in an immediate refund.

Luckily I've found one on Amazon (which I loathe, but damn you can't fault them for service).

Ebay had better up their offering, there's very little I'd go through them for now, there seems to be more spoofers and dodgy listings than ever.
I noticed the other day that Watch Shop in the uk has them for 拢99, but code EXTRA25 brings it down to 拢74. Free del to EU.

Registered

bravos !!!!
impressive knowledge
but it tells our age, doesn't it ? lolz

Reactions: fresh eddie fresh

Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier - Casio G-Shock GW-9200 Riseman
OT:
Speaking of G-Shocks with wings, does Casio still produce the 7900 series? I've been checking the 2 closest G-Shock watch retailers in my place lately and noticed they no longer have any stock of the 7900. Maybe it's just the pandemic and they ran outta stock, or the demand for it stagnated or something.

Registered
OT:
Speaking of G-Shocks with wings, does Casio still produce the 7900 series? I've been checking the 2 closest G-Shock watch retailers in my place lately and noticed they no longer have any stock of the 7900. Maybe it's just the pandemic and they ran outta stock, or the demand for it stagnated or something.
It's still listed on the g-shock co uk website, so yes I do believe it's still in active production. Great value watch considering the features.

But check locally, I was surprised to find one for sale really inexpensively and it's perfect. Sometimes people just need to get a watch sold...

Registered
This is a bummer. The 350 is the only watch I own. Been worn 24/7 for a number of years now.
As far as I can tell, no other watch has feature parity -- vibe hourly, vibe timer, and battery life that can be functionally ignored. It's an underrated feature set if you're the sort of person who benefits from strictly paced work/break cycles.

Came to this forum to look up overdue maintenance for an abused and crusty g shock in ocean use and was presented with bad news instead.

Attachments

Registered
Sad to hear, but thanks to Gary for the news. A highly underrated model IMO, but one adored by many of us. The only knock I can really give it is lack of home time in world time mode. I wear mine often, and don't see any signs of it ever wearing out, but maybe this is a reason to actually wade through the sea of despair that is my local Wal-Mart to see if I can find one. Problem is, I never seem to get that lucky.

In the meantime, LONG LIVE THE CULT OF THE GD-350!

Registered
This is sad to hear... but in a way, I'm not surprised. CASIO has been systematically moving the G-Shock lines upward in terms of cost. They'd rather focus on that than on watches that don't support Bluetooth. They're now trying to make $200~$300 the average cost for a G-Shock. And this... goes against everything I felt G-Shock stood for. Its reasonable price heritage. Where the "meat" of their models would be $150 and below, with a few special/limited models over $200, and then the really high end remaining the MRG line.

Still, after all this time... the audible alarms remain WEAK. I find this a bit insulting, actually. What good is a watch with 5 alarms if they can't be heard outside of a quiet room? And that's where the GD-350 shines. Vibration alert works so well. My GD-350's serve as my outdoor activity and grilling watches. Countdown is so easy to activate. And the vibration is easy to feel. I've got 2 models of the GD-350 and they've kept great time. No need for Bluetooth or atomic sync. I don't mind resetting the time every few months just to trim back from a few seconds off.

Anyway, I've not been around here much lately. I did not like the UI change of the site. I had a keen appreciation for the compact presentation of the old site. And I laptop browse... really don't enjoy doing it on my smartphone. Maybe that's why I'm not keen on the relatively new format.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts