WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
Sad to hear, but thanks to Gary for the news. A highly underrated model IMO, but one adored by many of us. The only knock I can really give it is lack of home time in world time mode. I wear mine often, and don't see any signs of it ever wearing out, but maybe this is a reason to actually wade through the sea of despair that is my local Wal-Mart to see if I can find one. Problem is, I never seem to get that lucky.

In the meantime, LONG LIVE THE CULT OF THE GD-350!
"...the sea of despair that is my local Wal-Mart" 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ What a phrase!!

One other cool feature of this watch is the ability to set the light to stay on for 5 seconds.

Registered
This is sad to hear... but in a way, I'm not surprised. CASIO has been systematically moving the G-Shock lines upward in terms of cost. They'd rather focus on that than on watches that don't support Bluetooth. They're now trying to make $200~$300 the average cost for a G-Shock. And this... goes against everything I felt G-Shock stood for. Its reasonable price heritage. Where the "meat" of their models would be $150 and below, with a few special/limited models over $200, and then the really high end remaining the MRG line.

Still, after all this time... the audible alarms remain WEAK. I find this a bit insulting, actually. What good is a watch with 5 alarms if they can't be heard outside of a quiet room? And that's where the GD-350 shines. Vibration alert works so well. My GD-350's serve as my outdoor activity and grilling watches. Countdown is so easy to activate. And the vibration is easy to feel. I've got 2 models of the GD-350 and they've kept great time. No need for Bluetooth or atomic sync. I don't mind resetting the time every few months just to trim back from a few seconds off.

Anyway, I've not been around here much lately. I did not like the UI change of the site. I had a keen appreciation for the compact presentation of the old site. And I laptop browse... really don't enjoy doing it on my smartphone. Maybe that's why I'm not keen on the relatively new format.
VIBE ALARM is such a good technology.

Registered
This is sad to hear... but in a way, I'm not surprised. CASIO has been systematically moving the G-Shock lines upward in terms of cost. They'd rather focus on that than on watches that don't support Bluetooth. They're now trying to make $200~$300 the average cost for a G-Shock. And this... goes against everything I felt G-Shock stood for. Its reasonable price heritage. Where the "meat" of their models would be $150 and below, with a few special/limited models over $200, and then the really high end remaining the MRG line.

Still, after all this time... the audible alarms remain WEAK. I find this a bit insulting, actually. What good is a watch with 5 alarms if they can't be heard outside of a quiet room? And that's where the GD-350 shines. Vibration alert works so well. My GD-350's serve as my outdoor activity and grilling watches. Countdown is so easy to activate. And the vibration is easy to feel. I've got 2 models of the GD-350 and they've kept great time. No need for Bluetooth or atomic sync. I don't mind resetting the time every few months just to trim back from a few seconds off.

Anyway, I've not been around here much lately. I did not like the UI change of the site. I had a keen appreciation for the compact presentation of the old site. And I laptop browse... really don't enjoy doing it on my smartphone. Maybe that's why I'm not keen on the relatively new format.
Many people don't view G-Shocks as having a "reasonable price heritage". G-Shock has mainly been Casio's premium line of watches. Even the original G-Shock was a basic Casio watch module with a new feature that they were able to charge a premium for. That original G-Shock also cost the equivalent of $250 dollars today so the price average price you suggested is perfectly in line with inflation.

I find the alarm in my G-Shocks to be sufficiently loud unless it's a really loud environment. I theorize that the thicker the case the quieter the sound and that we don't hear the high pitch alarm as well as we get older. One of the loudest alarms I have heard is in the simple F91W. You can also get vibration alert for $35 on the W735 and that watch is probably not going anywhere any time soon.

It took me a while to get used to the new site but I feel it's on par with the old site. The only thing that doesn't feel as smooth are photos. Now you need to come back and tell me how wrong I am! Don't let the powers at that be prevent you from posting. I value your input.

Registered
Many people don't view G-Shocks as having a "reasonable price heritage". G-Shock has mainly been Casio's premium line of watches. Even the original G-Shock was a basic Casio watch module with a new feature that they were able to charge a premium for. That original G-Shock also cost the equivalent of $250 dollars today so the price average price you suggested is perfectly in line with inflation.

I find the alarm in my G-Shocks to be sufficiently loud unless it's a really loud environment. I theorize that the thicker the case the quieter the sound and that we don't hear the high pitch alarm as well as we get older. One of the loudest alarms I have heard is in the simple F91W. You can also get vibration alert for $35 on the W735 and that watch is probably not going anywhere any time soon.

It took me a while to get used to the new site but I feel it's on par with the old site. The only thing that doesn't feel as smooth are photos. Now you need to come back and tell me how wrong I am! Don't let the powers at that be prevent you from posting. I value your input.
Oh, the whole perception of CASIO has shifted. That's what companies do--build brand awareness, adjust for market factors, and hone identity. CASIO struck gold with youth culture and capitalized on it. And when you've got multimillionaire rappers and athletes glorifying your wares... you step up. And they did just that. All the metal bling we see now, used to be relegated to the MRG line. No more. About watch cost relative to historical dollars, it's a very different game now. In the beginning, CASIO charged a relative premium for the G-Shock because no one else had anything quite like it and it WAS in heavy demand. It took some years and eventually the brand began to plateau. Then with periodic technical advancements, there would be bumps upward. But the past few years? Quite a notable markup from the earlier pace of price increases.

I have a G-3000 and a DW-5700 with really decent alarm decibel levels, better than a DW-5600E. And really, there should be no reason why other models couldn't enjoy those alarm loudness levels. The absolute worst is the 5610 series. So terribly faint. Yeah, my ears aren't as sharp as they used to be, but again--I find a G-3000 is ample. You know when the G-3000 came out? In 2001. All this time... and no really notable decibel improvements. They've advanced so many other features & technologies... so I'm mystified as to why this basic feature has really had no improvements for 20 years. I mean... it's not even user settable. low, medium, high selectable config settings should be here by now.

Registered
I made a trip to my local Walmart to see if, by chance, they had any GD-350s on clearance. Not only did they NOT have any GD-350s, they did not have a single g-shock in stock! They had Casios, none were Gs, and the most expensive was about $30. I was half-tempted by one or two, but passed. There were zero deals on any of the Casios.

To make a worthless watch trip even more worthless - they did not have ANY ammo on their shelves - not a single bullet or shotgun shell. :rolleyes: (that's actually kind of what I expected, but there's always some hope..)

At least I was wearing this one:

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Gadget

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I wanted to use my GD-350-1B to time some things while working in the yard today, but I got the BATT warning. Once this happens, it seems like the watch is stuck in timekeeping mode and no settings can be changed. I was surprised to get this warning, because the watch is only 5 years old and I rarely use the alarm (vibe) or the light. I think this is my first Casio for which the battery didn't last far longer than the rated amount (5 years in this case).

Watch Clock Finger Wrist Watch accessory

For today, I just switched over to my GD-350-1C. I'll have to open the GD-350-1B soon to replace the battery.

Watch Clock Finger Gadget Watch accessory

Registered
I believe the GD-350 uses a CR2032 battery.
That's correct. And that's what makes it rather surprising that your battery didn't last longer. Maybe the watch sat on the shelf for a long while before sold? Was it an Energizer or Panasonic battery? I've sometimes found Maxell batteries in my G-Shock watches and generally I prefer Panasonic. My original GD-350 battery is still going, but I've had to change my G-7800 ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That's correct. And that's what makes it rather surprising that your battery didn't last longer. Maybe the watch sat on the shelf for a long while before sold? Was it an Energizer or Panasonic battery? I've sometimes found Maxell batteries in my G-Shock watches and generally I prefer Panasonic. My original GD-350 battery is still going, but I've had to change my G-7800 ones.
Yes, this is why I was surprised. I also thought it might have sat for a while before I bought it, but with no light or vibe use it should still last longer. I haven't opened it up yet to see what brand of battery is in there.

Registered
Yes, this is why I was surprised. I also thought it might have sat for a while before I bought it, but with no light or vibe use it should still last longer. I haven't opened it up yet to see what brand of battery is in there.
In my papers I have jotted down the power consumption for module 3403 as 2.21 碌A (from a service manual I don't have anymore)

The CR2032 battery is rated 3V, 240mAh, so the battery life should be over 12 years if the light and alarm is not used at all.

Edit:
The service manual is here
CASIO G-SHOCK QW-3403 SERVICE MANUAL & PARTS LIST Pdf Download | ManualsLib

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
In my papers I have jotted down the power consumption for module 3403 as 2.21 碌A (from a service manual I don't have anymore)

The CR2032 battery is rated 3V, 240mAh, so the battery life should be over 12 years if the light and alarm is not used at all.

Edit:
The service manual is here
CASIO G-SHOCK QW-3403 SERVICE MANUAL & PARTS LIST Pdf Download | ManualsLib
Last night I noticed the BATT indicator was no longer on the display. I tested the light and vibe alert a few times and the BATT indicator did not come on. I did the same this morning, with the same result. Maybe it was a false alarm. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Reactions: robbiepeyt

Registered
I've got one since 2014 and it is the watch I most use. Some things have not well aged, however : one of the back screw post is worn, so I doubt the water resistance still hold at 200 m, the vibe sometime trigger the low battery alert (even with a new battery), and the alarm is no longer audible.
I noticed this alarm issue on other old G-Shock, and I wonder why it happens and if it could be fixed.
Anyway a great tool-watch, very good module, easy to press buttons (contrary to the 5600). Bulky but light.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts