WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, so you'll know whereof I speak, a little about me.

I'm 54, male, a professional pilot, flight test background, physically active, bought my first Casio in 1996ish, a DW-6630B-9 yellow G-Shock. I loved it so much I sold my GMT Rolex which was a [expletive deleted by moderator] and gave the money to charity. (Rolex's can't keep good time and cost too much to maintain given their lack of accuracy in my opinion.) I loved that G-Shock to put it mildly. Casio hit a home run as far as I was concerned. Best dang watch I ever owned. Period.

I wore that yellow dude virtually every day until 5 weeks ago. I run every other day, schedule permitting, and use the watch to time myself. Anyway, I decided to replace old reliable with something new. The GD-350-1B won due to the vibe alarm and gold digits (easier for my getting-older-eyes to see). Now, 5 weeks and 17 runs later plus 9 flights where I attempted to time various activities in-flight, I'm going to tell anyone who will listen, DO NOT BUY THIS WATCH unless you want to keep it in a glass case for the girls to stare at.

To point, and in comparison to the DW-6630;

1. The GD-350's large buttons are VERY difficult to discern from the case when running or if one must start a timer/SW with very little forewarning. All 3 large rectangular and single round buttons lateral edge spacing from the case is not sufficient for a tactile discernment between the button and case, in short, it's h#ll to tell whether your pushing the case or the button when one is under duress.

2. The tactile resistance, or 'push-back' of the button provides insufficient feed-back to allow one to detect that the button has been properly depressed to start/stop or change a function (in noisy environments or when running with an iPod one may not hear the tone).

3. Each buttons 'resistance to engagement' (push-back) is insufficient to prevent accidentally depressing a second button when intentionally depressing another. For instance, when running, if I use the split timer, my thumb will almost always also depress the mode button, which seems to have priority, and the watch will leave the stop-watch function altogether. It requires breaking stride to look down and focus on the watch, which is a huge no-no for an old guy running cross country!!

4. The current style of band causes the watch to constantly rotate outboard on my wrist.

For 13 years +/-, I NEVER had these problems with 'ol yeller. This new [expletive deleted by moderator] as well as Casio, really ... me off.

Cliffs: Buttons - SUCK, Button feel - SUCKS, Button arrangement - SUCKS, Band - SUCKS

Lastly, I really do hate knocking a product that good people worked hard to produce. But how is a company to fix something if someone doesn't stop to give the product a thorough going over and then report. Come on Casio, your better than this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Do you have a picture of said horrible watch?

Reactions: Colderamstel

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have one and can't say it's a terrible watch. Probably more accurate to say it simply doesn't suit your needs.... The GD-350 wouldn't be my go to watch for running. It's has a vibe alarm so my guess is that it was designed for casual use. Someone that needs a silent alarm for an office environment or someplace where a beeping alarm would be disruptive.

For running and daily use, take a look at a basic GW-6900. It's a classic with truly modern features. Auto EL lighting so it lights up automatically when you flick your wrist. Atomic sync so it's always accurate. Great easy to push buttons with good tactile feedback and best of all, you can pick one up for $80 or so. I'd recommend staying away from the reverse display as well. If you want to quickly glance down at your watch while running, the last thing you want is a reverse display.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
So far I had zero problems using the buttons without looking - there's those "bumpers" in the middle of the watch that pretty much let you feel exactly where the buttons are (the start/stop button is even easier to feel than the rest) - I also use those "bumpers" which are on almost every G-Shock to rest my index finger or thumb while pressing other buttons - depending on which side of the watch I press a button. I agree the buttons could have a better tactile feedback - I simply press them till they won't go in any further - seems to work :-d. On my wrist the watch also doesn't move or rotate - and I'm not wearing it very tight at all. btw: we don't like to see "swear word abbreviations" on the forum - I'm gonna edit that...

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I don't tend to run with G's. The Casio W-S-220 is a great running watch, as is the solar/atomic STW-1000. I also like many of the Timex Ironman models.

For tracking runs and measuring speed and distance, the Garmin Forerunners are great.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with Gdan427 about the tactile response of the buttons, they are among the worst I had ever to deal with on a Casio. I also agree with Kronos, that G-Shock's in general are not the best solution for sports (running) watches. There are much better alternatives out there, one of my favorites within the Casio range is still the SGW-200, a great runners watch indeed.

cheers

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
I just picked one up for sports purposes (to time my swimming) and discreet use of the count-down timer in the sauna (I go once a week and was using an older GShock with a beep, annoying the other sauna guests) using the vibration alarm and I have absolutely no problems with working the buttons blind (don't wear glasses in the sauna, and I am blind without them...). I find the GD350 an outstanding combination of performance and price.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Point blank -- this is NOT A RUNNER'S WATCH. In fact, G-Shocks are not designed for running (meaning, accessing buttons and menus while rapidly moving about). There are more suitable alternatives.

Yes, the tactile response of the buttons is not quite as good as on some other G-Shocks. However, if you are NOT running, you should not have any problem pressing them properly.

The band has two wings on it, that help keep the watch centered on your wrist during normal usage. However, they are not adequate enough to do deal with a rapidly swinging arm motion, the kind that happens when you're running.

CASIO makes a few different watches specifically for jogging, like the SGW-200. I use that one and find it more than adequate, easy to press the buttons without accidents (unintentional or missed).

The GD-350 disappointed you so severely for not living up to your expectations of serving as a jogging watch, but as a pilot you should know quite well the merit of using the right tool for the right job. And infusing expletives throughout your content does not serve well for conveying a thoughtful, objective write-up.

·
Banned
230 Posts
I have to disagree. I love this watch. I have worn it running multiple times. Buttons are big and easy to push. I have the 350-1b with negative display and can read it fine even in low light. The push light is super bright also. The only problem I had were the plastic wings. I have 7.5+ in wrist and the flaps basically made the watch sit higher. I think they would benefit a smaller wrist like 7in and down. They were comfortable though. Very easy to remove. However the screws will stick out a little when you put them back in. This is easily corrected with spare screws from just about any other model (I used ones that fit both 5600 and 8900). Overall, I love the added features. Vibe is great. Light can be set to stay on up to 5 seconds. And, the timer can be set to the second (hadn't seen this feature on any other of my G's).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
People who wish to use up their allocated heartbeats running round the block might be better off with a Nike watch.

There's a great detailed review of the GD 350 on UT. I believe the watch is designed for more clandestine activities, hence the vibration alarms.

Looks a damn good watch to me and might be my next pick-up.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have the exact watch your reviewing and have none of the problems you are having with yours. In fact it's my favorite Gshock I have bought in months. Maybe even years. It's got an awesome module and the hotkey press for the count down timer is an awesome idea. And your problem with the band is because you need to tighten the band one notch. It's not the watches fault at all or yours for that matter. It just doesn't suit your needs. Me I have worn mine exactly like yours since it arrived and to me the band and fit is part of why I love it so much. If you are looking to replace old yeller as you called it then look at a 6900 or look on eBay for another 6600. And really you could replace the resin and the battery in your old 6600 and I would be willing to be would be very happy with your old watch another 10yrs. Im simply saying giving such an awesome Gshock such a harsh review simply because you don't care for it seems unfair to Casio. Cause this is the first negative review I've read on this very popular GD350

Mudman001s Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Im simply saying giving such an awesome Gshock such a harsh review simply because you don't care for it seems unfair to Casio. Cause this is the first negative review I've read on this very popular GD350
With all due respect, we are not here to patch our backs and praise the G-Shock lord for its inerrable and infinite wisdom to give us wristcandy. Unfair to Casio? Just gimme a break....

And FYI: it is definitely NOT the first negative review about the GD-350 ;-) : https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/gd-3...chase-sale-my-opinion-about-watch-829103.html

cheers

·
Registered
957 Posts
With all due respect, we are not here to patch our backs and praise the G-Shock lord for its inerrable and infinite wisdom to give us wristcandy. Unfair to Casio? Just gimme a break....

And FYI: it is definitely NOT the first negative review about the GD-350 ;-) : https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/gd-3...chase-sale-my-opinion-about-watch-829103.html

cheers
That's a shame. I love mine and pretty much wear it all the time. I don't care for feeling scolded for voicing my opinion on the positive side though. Im saying if it's ok for other's to not like it then why isn't it ok for other's to like it very much like myself. It's fine to do a review but to actually try and sway other's from buying such an awesome G by saying DO NOT BUY in all caps seems wrong to me.

Mudman001s Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Im going back to just reading the forum instead of commenting or posting. Cause if anyone disagrees here they are made to feel as if everything they say is simply wrong. My apologies if I offended anyone in any way.

Mudman001s Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Im going back to just reading the forum instead of commenting or posting. Cause if anyone disagrees here they are made to feel as if everything they say is simply wrong. My apologies if I offended anyone in any way.

Mudman001s Tapatalk
Nope - please do contribute. cal..45 doesn't mean no harm - he just wants to play :-d. I value his opinion though I often disagree with him :-d. Especially in case of the GD-350 which IMO is one of the best G-Shocks Casio has come up with in the last 5 years or so.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nope - please do contribute. cal..45 doesn't mean no harm - he just wants to play :-d. I value his opinion though I often disagree with him :-d. Especially in case of the GD-350 which IMO is one of the best G-Shocks Casio has come up with in the last 5 years or so.

Ive got nothing but respect for cal.45. I just get really frustrated here sometimes cause it seems a lot of people don't take to kindly to being disagreed with. To me with the GD350 series it seems Casio is really listening to us. With the G9000 muddy for instance everyone said it's nice But the buttons are incredibly hard to push. Well Casio has answered that with a button that are way easier to push like on the GD350 and the entire 8900 series which has very simular feel to them. THEN everyone said it would be nice and way better if you could easily see the time when using the count down timer function. Well Casio answered that by putting the timer function available right from the time keeping mode with the GD350. a lot of people have complained the backlighting on several models could be brighter and again Casio answered that with the super illuminator on this model. Then everyone said it would be nice if you could silence the beeping and have a vibration alarm instead. While it's not a very strong vibration it does vibrate. I don't think you will ever see a vibration alarm as strong as a cell phone for several reasons. One being the motar would make the watch huge and less wearable. And the battery life would hugely suffer. Now with all of this being said when do we say NICE JOB CASIO? Cause even when they do answer to several of our complaints on different models it seems like everyone still finds something they don't like about it. To me with the addition of the GD350 it feels as if Casio is finally listening. So me... I'm gonna enjoy my awesome GD350. Ive missed out on awesome models before because of reading bad reviews here. Only to get one later and think to myself why is every one complaining on such an awesome G. While it may not be what everyone likes ..saying Do not buy in a review makes a lot of people miss out on an Awesome Gshock they could really be enjoying. I read every review now with caution because it doesn't mean if the reviewer doesn't like it that's NOT a gaurantee I wont as well. Sorry to ramble on and on. But where do we draw the line and say FINALLY they are listening? Thank you for reading

Mudman001s Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Mudman001,

I didn't mean to be rude or insulting, if it came across this way, please accept my apology.

My point is simply, that the purpose of a forum is not only to share the good things but also the bad things. It is nice to see a community work together so well as this one but if there are issues to discuss - although not widely popular - but still unavoidable we should all take advantage from that and hoping things getting better in the future. As you may read, I really had high hopes for the GD-350, since I ever heard and read about this model the first time I went gaga all over it. I even couldn't wait for a international release, so I orderd my GD-380-8 from japan. Well, there is always a big gap between something on the paper in theory and the cold eye-opening reality....

The reality on this model is for me a massive failure in design - not in the overall design which is great but in too many important details. I just visited my friend yesterday, the one I gave my GD-350 to and we discussed (as usual) about watches. And while he is happy with my ex GD-350, he is not totally overwhelmd by it. During that evening I had a chance to play around with the watch a little and there was nothing that could change my mind about it or bring me to buy and try another one - it just doesn't work for me in too many ways.

Now to your thoughts about Casio: I have to disagree here almost entirely. I don't think they do listen to us or are even intersted in our opinion. Considered the amount of watches they sell worldwide, this community is about 0.0000001 the percentage of them and therefore pretty much non-existing. It simply doesn't matter if we write our fingertipps bloody or not about shortcomings, faulty designs and things that could be made a thousand times better.

I agree with your points that some features were improved and implented in the last couple years, but that is in my opinion the natural progress and process for a product that hits the market with its third anniversary this year. Of course they have to bring something new from time to time (and stay to well proven and reliable models which are still available), and of course there will be coincidental overlaps with some of our wishes and suggestions. Your points are valid, no question about that but there are dozens if not hundreds of points which we discuss since years and nothing happens. Just take the shortcomings of the entire Protrek line for instance, where are the TRUE competitors for a Suunto, Tech4o or similar brands? Where are the one meter increments on altimeters, where is the sea-level-pressure, the altimeter lock, the big and easy to read alti/barographs? Where is the backlight that stays on as long as one presses a button to make full use of the watch at night?, Where is the retainer/stopper for 2 cents, which will avoid the straps end to come loose all the time? Why do we see more and more watches with non-atomic capability for international releases while Japan gets all the goodies (ironic considered the size of Japan and the area covered by the four other transmitters in Germany, Uk, USA and China).

To conclude this form my point of view: as long as we don't have any proof of an official representative from Casio in this forum, an active member which clearly identifies him/herself as such, I'm not going to believe that anyone at Casio inc. is willing - or even interested - to listen to our opinions and/or suggestions, heck they don't even seem to care about all the counterfeits sold at ebay, which tells me a lot.

cheers

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
You'd be surprised how much watch companies do pay attention to this forum. I'd explain, but that would end up in an essay in customer engagement in social media, and that'd be too much. Suffice to say that companies take this very seriously indeed, but we here don't see it directly except in the sponsored forums.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mudman001,

I didn't mean to be rude or insulting, if it came across this way, please accept my apology.

My point is simply, that the purpose of a forum is not only to share the good things but also the bad things. It is nice to see a community work together so well as this one but if there are issues to discuss - although not widely popular - but still unavoidable we should all take advantage from that and hoping things getting better in the future. As you may read, I really had high hopes for the GD-350, since I ever heard and read about this model the first time I went gaga all over it. I even couldn't wait for a international release, so I orderd my GD-380-8 from japan. Well, there is always a big gap between something on the paper in theory and the cold eye-opening reality....

The reality on this model is for me a massive failure in design - not in the overall design which is great but in too many important details. I just visited my friend yesterday, the one I gave my GD-350 to and we discussed (as usual) about watches. And while he is happy with my ex GD-350, he is not totally overwhelmd by it. During that evening I had a chance to play around with the watch a little and there was nothing that could change my mind about it or bring me to buy and try another one - it just doesn't work for me in too many ways.

Now to your thoughts about Casio: I have to disagree here almost entirely. I don't think they do listen to us or are even intersted in our opinion. Considered the amount of watches they sell worldwide, this community is about 0.0000001 the percentage of them and therefore pretty much non-existing. It simply doesn't matter if we write our fingertipps bloody or not about shortcomings, faulty designs and things that could be made a thousand times better.

I agree with your points that some features were improved and implented in the last couple years, but that is in my opinion the natural progress and process for a product that hits the market with its third anniversary this year. Of course they have to bring something new from time to time (and stay to well proven and reliable models which are still available), and of course there will be coincidental overlaps with some of our wishes and suggestions. Your points are valid, no question about that but there are dozens if not hundreds of points which we discuss since years and nothing happens. Just take the shortcomings of the entire Protrek line for instance, where are the TRUE competitors for a Suunto, Tech4o or similar brands? Where are the one meter increments on altimeters, where is the sea-level-pressure, the altimeter lock, the big and easy to read alti/barographs? Where is the backlight that stays on as long as one presses a button to make full use of the watch at night?, Where is the retainer/stopper for 2 cents, which will avoid the straps end to come loose all the time? Why do we see more and more watches with non-atomic capability for international releases while Japan gets all the goodies (ironic considered the size of Japan and the area covered by the four other transmitters in Germany, Uk, USA and China).

To conclude this form my point of view: as long as we don't have any proof of an official representative from Casio in this forum, an active member which clearly identifies him/herself as such, I'm not going to believe that anyone at Casio inc. is willing - or even interested - to listen to our opinions and/or suggestions, heck they don't even seem to care about all the counterfeits sold at ebay, which tells me a lot.

cheers
No need to apologize Cal45. I guess for me I'm at the point in collecting Gs where I don't sweat the small things. I get them and wear them and just enjoy them as they are. No modding for me or worrying about buttons being too easy or too hard to press. It's not like im wearing them and depending on my life with the functions or something. For me I rarely use a lot of the features being put in Gs these days. I may use the count down timer for boiling an egg every now and then. Sometimes I may use an alarm to remind me to take medicine. But all and all I wear them cause they are tough. I like the looks of them and pretty much can find something I love in my 150+ count collection Of Gshock. I guess for me I just don't sweat the small thing's and enjoy them as they are. Sorry if I came off harshly. I have a lot of respect for you Cal45. I guess I just wanted my opinion to count for something as well.
Thanks for your replies and thanks for reading.

Mudman001s Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts