WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

78K views 844 replies 71 participants last post by  taike 
Let the games commence,Thank you for your time and work so far and from now on Arizone :)

We could also discuss the possibility of gold or bronze PVD case colour.If Meranom could make it available or not?

Reactions: milligan
If it is to be a silver case I rather like the final red bezel variant suggested. However, my preference would be for a bronze case. May I suggest that the case colour is a significant issue which needs to be resolved early, before anything else for the obvious reasons? ... Comments please Comrades...

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
My own preference is for a bronze case if possible,if not bronze colour pvd on stainless case again if possible.

Solid back with stylised Elbrus logo and all text in Cyrillic,Glass back would be fine if a bespoke rotor with Elbrus association was introduced.

Blue dial because although I get the association between this project watch and the Seiko Alpinist,I want this watch to have an identity all of it's own.

Band or bracelet,unless truly bespoke or unusual are no real issue either way for me.

Movement no particular preference as long as it's bullet proof Russian:)

I am indifferent to PVD, but my opinion is that coating durability always tends to sound better in the literature than it is in real life.
The coating on the Ratnik cases is of a similar type of coating as I am proposing (but more of a bronze colour)and is extremely durable, TiCN and similar coatings are a whole different ballgame compared with standard black PVD coatings,most of the applications for TiCN type coatings are industrial such as drill bits and punches,it is also widely used in the firearms area.
So I guess if we went down that route durability isn't an issue

You could explode an unspent WW2 5,000lb bomb directly under a Ratnik and the coating on the case wouldn't even come out with a blemish on it. If that is what we would use there is no problem!

The coating I was thinking of was on the very first batch of Ratniks,it was a bronze/gold hue,rather than the purple/bronze/dark brown of later models.
I did have one of these but I sold it on o|

That sounds like a better colour. Was it made from the same stuff?

It was a very similar coating Geoff,just a more golden/bronze colour and it seemed as resilient to scratches

I suggest,if the caseback is to be solid,then laser etching for any design rather than stamped.
Reasoning behind this is it is more cost effective and allows for a more detailed and sharper design to be produced.
Good quality laser etching can also look pretty impressive compared to stamped!

Could you also delete. the "what happen" thread as well comrade Chascomm,keeps the project sub forum tidier so to speak :)

Reactions: Chascomm
I'm up for anything that takes on the hues of Mt Elbrus but I also prefer a bronze coloured case
Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Sky Stratovolcano

Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Sky Alps
Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Sky Ridge

Reactions: Chascomm
Some more shades on bronze Watch Analog watch Turquoise Fashion accessory Watch accessory

I would also like to add my voice to the "we prefer real bronze, not pvd" camp... The chances that the pvd case will look dated in time is high in my opinion.
Thanks!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
I would also prefer solid bronze,but it has to be established first if that is a possibility
If so how would it impact on price and how many members would be willing to stump up the extra moola
As has been said before if a TiCN (not standard PVD!) coating was used it would be plenty resilient enough for a lifetime of watch use and would give the look of bronze without the oxidisation discoloration that some like but others dislike.

Reactions: CBM_DOC and Negroni
The choice of the light blue Azure dial colour makes a bronze case colour redundant in my opinion,as only a darker blue or richer colour like oxblood would have worked with the darker case.
So I guess with the azure colour choice we are going to with a frigid arctic snow and ice theme........blue, white and silver.
The only concern I have with the an azure dial is that silver indices and hands might be hard to distinguish at a glance.
Bezel colour also,while having to compliment the azure must also be easily distinguished.

I still prefer white over cream as an off white just makes the dial look aged and removes the frosty crisp vibe.
If the consensus was for an off white,I think champagne sunburst would be preferred over flat cream....just my two roubles worth :)

In my own opinion I think we need something a bit more radical in the way of design colour schemes for this project.
My reasoning for this is,the building block aproach seems to be steering the aestetics down a narrowing avenue of colour choices. Which seems to be detrimental to a successful outcome
This watch could be something pretty special if we steer well away from this "Seiko Alpinist" clone thang.
Project Elbrus needs to be something that has a purely Russian style and feel.
I'm sorry for having to voice this but I don't want this project to become something that is just ok and safe....I would rather it becomes something different to what has gone before

Douplo post...grrrr!

What do you suggest as a solution? That's what this thread is for.
I don't have a soloution.....but I do have an idea for method
I think the function of the Elbrus will ultimately determine the form that the project colour scheme should eventually take.
If it is to be a tool watch with a lot of information and markings on the bezel/outer dial,then contrasting colours have to be a major consideration,just from a legibility standpoint anyway
If it is to be an aesthetically driven project,a complementary colour palette then becomes the prime force behind the design.
This question of which route we are heading needs to be nailed down before colour choice is fixed.
As for the Russification aspect,if it is to be a tool watch design(which I personally hope). true legibility and functionality will achieve such an outcome anyway.

I apologise if my previous post was interpreted in anyway a criticism of the project so far.
I merely wanted to open up more of a discussion of what we are ultimitely aiming for here

And I very much value all the time, effort and skills you are investing in Project Elbrus comrade Arizone

My preference pretty much same as Geoff!
If there is to be a nod at the east Boctock logo,why not just use the B style from the Boctock
factory logo on the red B denoting east,because the full logo at the 3o'clock position just looks dumb.
Larger more stylish hands with maybe a sun/arrow meatball 24h hand
Also no other colours of text apart from white/silver,red or black,as we dont want a clown watch! :)

By the way, the first bezel variation shown is a real winner in my eyes, the combination of Azure dial, Slate bezel and White bezel accent is really showing great aspects and elements of an Alpine related scene. Great work by all so far :-!

View attachment 13375523
Alpine????....... I say Caucasus to you Mario!
Anyhoo two tone bezel looks awesome....even the Elbrus is smiling with a snowy white grin!
well done Arizone,keep em coming!

Or.... you could just wear a watch,look down at your feet now and again around midday and see where your shadow points.......that's kinda north....here in the northern hemisphere anyhoo :)

Reactions: PanKorop
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.