WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
801 - 820 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Dmitry has gotten back to me again to reaffirm fewer watches is possible, but states the price will be $340 USD or even higher, while citing the custom 24 hour hand that will be needed. I do see the Baikal's popularity, but the price between that watch and our new projection is significant, and I can't help but notice some of the comparable models Meranom has on the site like the Putnik sitting around for long periods of time and even being discounted. I'd hate to see our extras suffer a similar fate. Striking the right balance is necessary.
$340 does not sound outrageously expensive nowadays. However, many people including myself would not be comfortable to pay more then $200 for any Russian watch. Is it a psychological barrier or just a custom, but let see what we got for the price:
custom limited edition watch with mineral glass and internal bezel. Mechanism is Ok, but it is cheap and standard. Well I am thinking hard....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sobering. As much as sapphire coated, Swiss or tops hand-winding projects I backed this winter from microbrands. Else, one Buyalov RR01 and a half...

Even the compass watch gaga I am just stalls. I’ll stick with my 24h or “GMT” Vostok SE with custom bezels, and still have change to spare to perfect them into hand-winders. I’ll ask around for the price of manufacturing/adapting a “double-dauphine” compass hand for the double-time or 24h mechanisms.

Oh, well: it was—still is—a fun thread, and the one which brought me to sign up to WUS! So, I don’t regret the journey: sincere thanks, Arizone!

And sorry if it sounds like “Thanks for all the fish”!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #806 ·
Yes, that is just as I have always feared, and fewer people only draws the price ever higher for those who remain if we order less. When I begin to string together the small pieces of information I have received over the months it really does start to paint the whole grim financial picture. I had hoped there was more nuance to it, especially because Dmitry was unable to state an estimate even close to this before now. The price is only topped by the recent 1967, which does have sapphire and a bronze case or (albeit shoddy) steel bracelet. Personally, my Komandirskie K-34 has not disappointed me in any regard, but understandably one wouldn't want to spend now over double the price for it.

I asked two months ago, and I must ask again: what does everyone else think?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I'm afraid like several others I must now bow out from the project. Thank you for all your efforts Arizone - much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others, as nice as the watch design is, $340 is simply too high, i might have gone to $250 ish. But add in the diving exchange rate on the £GBP and it's simply out of my comfort zone for a Vostok.
As a comparison i recently bought a pvd Turbina on bracelet for under $150

Chris

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I stepped in from the cold but now the room itself is chilly. I am out. Thank you though for your work on this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I will wait for further details, but with the exchange rate, It might be way to high for me... Canadian dollar is close to Australian one, so it would be close to 500$ for me as well..

·
Premium Member
4,425 Posts
I appear to be in the minority here, but I would happily pay $340 for a unique and cool LE WUS watch created by this fine group of watch nerds. :-!

·
Premium Member
8,357 Posts
All the numbered edition Vostok projects I've been fortunate enough to pick up were way less than $340. I'm comfortable in the $200 range for a Vostok project watch.
Has the Relojes Especiales forum been made aware of this project? Maybe getting more participants would lower the cost?

·
Registered
469 Posts
All the numbered edition Vostok projects I've been fortunate enough to pick up were way less than $340. I'm comfortable in the $200 range for a Vostok project watch.
Has the Relojes Especiales forum been made aware of this project? Maybe getting more participants would lower the cost?
Yes, it has. That's why I'm here btw.

As for the new price....It's a pity really..I'm afraid it's too rich for my blood. I was more or less comfortable in the $200, or a bit more, zone..

However... let's see if there are some more news.

Anyway, I've said it and will say it again... Many thanks, Arizone for your work and enthusiasm in this project!

Reactions: Arizone

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll throw out another idea. If it is $340 if each of us buys one, but cheaper if we buy more, does that mean if each of us buys 2, it would be $200 each? Then we would each have an extra to sell, backup the first, or give to a kid or co-worker etc. I think I signed up originally for 2 with that in mind.

So, at $200 each, I am willing buy 2 watches, but at $340 each, I'd probably drop back to just one. But I'd still be interested.

Dave

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ha ha, nice idea. But seriously spend even more just to get one watch?

I think that really is a non starter.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Personal opinion, but I'm OK with $340. Hopefully this project won't end up as just a sketch - it's been a great run and the final design is phenomenal. If this watch was released by a major Swiss company or a popular micro brand, it would easily sell for $500.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Personal opinion, but I'm OK with $340. Hopefully this project won't end up as just a sketch - it's been a great run and the final design is phenomenal. If this watch was released by a major Swiss company or a popular micro brand, it would easily sell for $500.
|>

Yeah, I still haven't given up... and will wait for more news... but maybe $340 is steep considering the complications shouldn't be that.. complicated. A matter of balance.
I'm an ignorant, though...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #820 ·
Thank you those who have spoken. There seems to be a roughly 1 in 4 chance of individuals remaining interested, which expanding that out would only leave us with about 40 people. With the large ambitions of this project, and the unknowns that have now been made clear, it simply wasn't meant to be, at least not in this form. I have let Dmitry know that we will not be able to continue. Should the desire ever arise again, the designs are still available.

Thank you again Chascomm for keeping an eye on us, and everyone else for participating. I of course have learned a lot more that I hope will be of good use in the future.

While some of us may be recovering from RE's Baikal, or are looking forward to Watch.ru's Sadko, we can continue potential home turf project discussion on the main subforum. Keep in mind, given Dmitry's current estimate and depending how quickly we work out new ideas, we could attempt delivery early next year for the big twenty-twenty.

801 - 820 of 845 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.