WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
821 - 840 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I don't think Vostok can build this watch dial with all the detail, the design got away from what Vostok can manufacture.

Show me one dial or rehaut that shows so much detail that they make, I would be afraid of what the prototype would look like or even if you would get to see a prototype before payment.

You dont go to Kia for a super car.

I love Vostok but their charm is simple basic designs, the original idea picture were simple and could be made, the final design has zero Vostok feel.

I will get flamed but so be it.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Arizone, thanks for all your effort. For me it is still fantastic design and I am sad to see we are aborting this project.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
I don't think Vostok can build this watch dial with all the detail, the design got away from what Vostok can manufacture.

Show me one dial or rehaut that shows so much detail that they make, I would be afraid of what the prototype would look like or even if you would get to see a prototype before payment.

You dont go to Kia for a super car.
That was never the problem, or Dmitry would have stated as such. Any printed detail is not difficult to do in-house, but the parts were always intended to be manufactured elsewhere because Vostok has very little other capability themselves. The Slava model you posted also has predominantly foreign parts.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
'Tis a shame, it would have been a nice watch to use when walking.

I second all the comments Arizone, thank you for the time you put in to this.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,438 Posts
Thank you Arizone for all your hard work on this project, and for your efficiency and clear focus. The numbers have spoken against this being a viable project for now, but I strongly feel that the final design result was the very best possible for the original concept, and this is due in a large part to Arizone's capable guidance.

Well done also to everybody else who made a creative contribution to the project.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
Sad , sad story indeed. What we do now? All these discussions and designs going to get perished to no avail? Can VE help us out?
If you're referring to Vostok Europe, I'm looking back at the 2014 Kosmodrom project details, another dual crown internal bezel design, and it appears there were 150 units (100 MOQ) at a current exchange rate of $317 USD each. This is still quite high, and it also required a deposit. Anyone is welcome to look into this further, but I must concede so that I may get some peace of mind for now.

I have begun looking at re-purposing the design using a standard Amphibian case, as was admittedly suggested before, but as this is far removed from the initial proposals I would not like to continue discussion of this alternative avenue in this space. Moving back to our main subforum others who did not participate here can voice their opinions once again regarding Elbrus as well as other proposals.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So we officially leave the Elbrus abandoned? That´s very sad to hear.
But i can understand the decision. With less participants due to the increased Price, it could have easily ended around the 500 Mark.

I never had a doubt it was too complicated for Vostok to build such a watch and would like to leave a big THANK YOU for arizone.
You did an exceptional good Job running the whole Project. If it ever comes back to life, give me a Heads up and I´ll be there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very sad to see the project fold like this though I must admit that at in excess of £260 it would have been too high for me as well. Terrible shame as the watch itself looked very special. I’m surprised it didn’t have as much enthusiasm as the Slava project as it is arguably a better watch but perhaps coming hot off the heels of that it was never going to generate as much interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you Arizone for the awesome design... And all the work you did for this project...

If it was only my heart, I would go for it...but my pockets talk too sometime, and this time, at that price, bad timing :(

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sad to see it go this route, but I thoroughly enjoyed the process and can't wait to see what comes up next. A sincere thanks for all your hard work Arizone. Even though it didn't come to fruition, it was not in vain. I guess I will have to wear project Laika in the interim. Seriously though, we all appreciate your efforts. I will pour one out for Elbrus and throw one back for whatever comes next!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you're referring to Vostok Europe, I'm looking back at the 2014 Kosmodrom project details, another dual crown internal bezel design, and it appears there were 150 units (100 MOQ) at a current exchange rate of $317 USD each. This is still quite high, and it also required a deposit. Anyone is welcome to look into this further, but I must concede so that I may get some peace of mind for now.

I have begun looking at re-purposing the design using a standard Amphibian case, as was admittedly suggested before, but as this is far removed from the initial proposals I would not like to continue discussion of this alternative avenue in this space. Moving back to our main subforum others who did not participate here can voice their opinions once again regarding Elbrus as well as other proposals.
Yeah, you right. Standard Amphibian design is quite versatile but Elburus overgrew its capacity. May be we should be operating withing certain budget from the get go just in order not to waist time and efforts.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
On a Amphibia or Kom’ design, it could be essentially a replacement of the 24h hand with a custom “compass” one.
Of course, colours and bezel details are open.
Below, just an example, but it serves me well. Losing the 24h scale doesn’t bother me.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Would work with a “purist” 24h base, too, with the advantage of separating the 24h scale, kept on the dial, instead of cluttering the bezel with a double scale — bearings & 24h.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
960 Posts
Huge thanks to Arizone for shepherding this project through the design phase. I can't think of anyone else who could have done a better job. I really enjoyed the opportunity to participate, and look forward to seeing whatever comes next.

... . -. - / -... -.-- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... / ..- ... .. -. --. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know this idea was shut down before, but as the only alternative now is shutting down the original Elbrus design, I want to make a case for crowdfunding again...

I understand that Dmitry was interested in a run of 300 units, which presumably would bring the cost down. We already have half that amount claimed (155 units). If we could get the price down to $200-$250 range (and that's an acceptable price to most of us), I really believe getting 145 people to join from crowdfunding is doable.

Setting aside the idea that some "hipsters" may join the project, a campaign like that will give the project exposure to tens of thousands more people. Some of the most successful crowdfunded watches originated on this very forum.

The main objection was collection and handling of funds. If Meranom would be open to setting up the campaign themselves, no third-party would get involved. The benefit to Meranom is they'd collect full payment upfront and wouldn't commit to production unless all 300 units were paid for (so no leftover units to sell).

I understand this is time and effort on their end. They can potentially defray these costs within the watch price (e.g. add $5000 to production cost for crowdfunding expenses, charge $17 extra per unit). And we'd create all of the content (it's mostly already done anyway) and help them set up and run the campaign.

I know it's a stretch, but would it hurt to ask?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thank you those who have spoken. There seems to be a roughly 1 in 4 chance of individuals remaining interested, which expanding that out would only leave us with about 40 people. With the large ambitions of this project, and the unknowns that have now been made clear, it simply wasn't meant to be, at least not in this form. I have let Dmitry know that we will not be able to continue. Should the desire ever arise again, the designs are still available.

Thank you again Chascomm for keeping an eye on us, and everyone else for participating. I of course have learned a lot more that I hope will be of good use in the future.

While some of us may be recovering from RE's Baikal, or are looking forward to Watch.ru's Sadko, we can continue potential home turf project discussion on the main subforum. Keep in mind, given Dmitry's current estimate and depending how quickly we work out new ideas, we could attempt delivery early next year for the big twenty-twenty.

Excellent, let's hope we end up with a nice project.

Again, thanks for your work!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Huge thanks to Arizone for shepherding this project through the design phase. I can't think of anyone else who could have done a better job. I really enjoyed the opportunity to participate, and look forward to seeing whatever comes next

Couldn’t agree more

821 - 840 of 845 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.