WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a Certina auto in the DS Podium Auto line that looks really nice.

I don't think there are any Certina ADs in the US. Anyone have any impressions to offer on Certina and their Auto lineup? I know that they are a Swatch brand, and I've been very happy with my Midos - which are rather obscure in the US too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I can't speak from experience, but they have been at it since 1888.

My watchmaker friend is a Certina fanatic. He has bought at least 10 vintage Certina watches in the past year, not to mention the many he owned prior. I joke with him that he won't be happy until he owns every vintage DS in existence.

I will say this: Based on discussions with my friend, and the Certina pedigree, I would gladly own one. I just haven't found one that strikes my fancy and they are not available in the US. If I'm spending the kind of money a new Certina commands, I'd prefer to see/handle one before buying from an on-line seller.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
great watches, fit & finish & it ran perfectly. I had a ds podium quartzy but sold it a few months ago. i bought mine early last year before they released the auto. zamel's jewellery store in australia was/is an ad but i've heard they are dropping the line because of poor sales here. certina have also past links to motor gp, wrc, & the great muhammad ali (& as arlo mentioned f1)

_

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, i posted a threadregarding my new certina
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=209312

I've had it for a month now, and i really love it. The feel of the watch can be compared to watches 3 times the price.

It has a nice design and sits perfectly on the wrist. Also the leather band i thick and soft.

You will NOT go wrong with a Certina...trust me.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'm glad that you really like your Certina. Did you get VAT off the listed price? My dim recollection is that Non-EU citizens do not pay VAT but the source has a $ amount listed that is the full Euro price.:-s

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great watch and wonderfully photographed. I actually bought this watch after seeing this particular picture of it. Had seen it in the shop but gone for the DS-First. Later after seeing this photo I just had to get this one also. Great design, superb quality and very importantly, very comfortable. In fact its become my primary watch.. My only regret is the movement, which I think lets it down - quite noisy, IMO it deserves ETA 955.112 level of quality..

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm very happy with my Certina DS Podium Automatic.:-!
I think they are a great value.
I understand that they are not distributed in the U.S., which is one reason I chose it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bought the DS Action about a month ago. Took in skiing for 4 days right after. Not only does it look fantastic, its durable, with nary a scratch, waterproof, and keeps perfect time.

Great watch and many admirers! 43MM and the crown makes it look a little bigger.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought the DS Action about a month ago. Took in skiing for 4 days right after. Not only does it look fantastic, its durable, with nary a scratch, waterproof, and keeps perfect time.

Great watch and many admirers! 43MM and the crown makes it look a little bigger.
Thanks, glad you like it. I went with a Mido All Dial Chronometer with this last purchase but still have Certina Autos on my radar.;-)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You know, I never knew Certina was a respectable brand until this thread. In the NL the Certina's you see in stores just seem to be budget lines, similar to cheap Casio and Seiko's. :think:

Ofcourse, I also thought Casio and Seiko mainly made cheap budget watches until I got on WUS :roll:

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, I never knew Certina was a respectable brand until this thread. In the NL the Certina's you see in stores just seem to be budget lines, similar to cheap Casio and Seiko's. :think:

Ofcourse, I also thought Casio and Seiko mainly made cheap budget watches until I got on WUS :roll:
I ran across the one that started this thread by accident and have been interested to read about peoples impressions. They are not widely sold in the US or UK.

G

·
I ran across the one that started this thread by accident and have been interested to read about peoples impressions. They are not widely sold in the US or UK.
Seiko JDM is also not widely sold in the US or UK ;-)

Certina is very popular in Scandinavia and Germany.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As I hear some voices here in Europe, they say CERTINA is now coming back to win among the medium price market. the swatch group is placing CERTINA just a few steps under LONGINES. they have some really nice watches.:-!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I hear some voices here in Europe, they say CERTINA is now coming back to win among the medium price market. the swatch group is placing CERTINA just a few steps under LONGINES. they have some really nice watches.:-!
Its so interesting to see SwatchGroups marketing moves with the brands. Mido is nearly unheard of here in the US, as is Certina, but its Big in Asia.

Swatch's biggest failing in my book is the very poor support for watches that are not targeted in that particular market - like Mido in the USA. Getting support for a Mido from SwatchUSA is nearly impossible - I mean they are polite and nice on the phone and by email but they know next to nothing about the line. The ADs are the worst - all any of them care about in my experience is the upfront sale. I've had 3 blow me off when I asked about buying parts. One was incredibly rude and told me that I could by a bracelet anywhere - for a watch that they are an AD for that has an integrated bracelet! When I called them on it they told me to buzz off!o|o|:rodekaart:rodekaarto|

Sad, because so many of their watches are beauties - if only they'd support them right like they do with Omega. I didn't like my Omega but man-o-man was the support FANTASTIC.|>|> Weird.:-s:-s

1 - 20 of 36 Posts