WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeballing a Generalskie 539217; I've been looking at a few different sites and I've noticed something odd. Chistopolcity and Komandirskie.com both list this watch as 30m water resistance and then Meranom and soviet.market both list it as 20m water resistant... Doesn't make much of a difference either way I suppose as these aren't water resistant ratings you'd swim with anyway but thought it was odd to have different ratings for the same watch

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I've been eyeballing a Generalskie 539217; I've been looking at a few different sites and I've noticed something odd. Chistopolcity and Komandirskie.com both list this watch as 30m water resistance and then Meranom and soviet.market both list it as 20m water resistant... Doesn't make much of a difference either way I suppose as these aren't water resistant ratings you'd swim with anyway but thought it was odd to have different ratings for the same watch
If you go to Vostok Chistopol Watch Factory sales site they give water resistance as 2 Atmospheres .

?????? ???? 53 ?????? ???????????? 539217 ????????

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
From my understanding the two marques water resistance is depending on tension ring presence and one or two lugs in the caseback. Classic Komandirskies have usually one lug and can come without a tension ring, or on second hand ones the ring has fallen out below the dial on the recess there.

Amphibia's always have a tension ring and have two lugs, this allows the caseback to spread further than the Komandirskies by dint of pressing up against the two lug channels thus creating a far better seal at depths.

Also Amphibia crowns are generally different to the smaller Komandirskie crowns, both are screw down but I see from my own the water sealing is improved by a longer thread for the Amphibia's and a much beefier crown.

The good word on classic Kom's is 20m, it is a field watch designed for being out in the rain, maybe a swim through a river, covered in mud sort of water resistance, the Amphibia is 200m but this has been tested to way way past that depth but Vostok will only certify 200m.

I suppose it wouldn't take a genius to cut a second lug channel and fit an Amphibia case back, if the crystal is tensioned as well then should be good to go deeper than 20/30m but I wouldn't be so trusting.

·
Registered
531 Posts
From my understanding the two marques water resistance is depending on tension ring presence and one or two lugs in the caseback. Classic Komandirskies have usually one lug and can come without a tension ring, or on second hand ones the ring has fallen out below the dial on the recess there.

Amphibia's always have a tension ring and have two lugs, this allows the caseback to spread further than the Komandirskies by dint of pressing up against the two lug channels thus creating a far better seal at depths.

Also Amphibia crowns are generally different to the smaller Komandirskie crowns, both are screw down but I see from my own the water sealing is improved by a longer thread for the Amphibia's and a much beefier crown.

The good word on classic Kom's is 20m, it is a field watch designed for being out in the rain, maybe a swim through a river, covered in mud sort of water resistance, the Amphibia is 200m but this has been tested to way way past that depth but Vostok will only certify 200m.

I suppose it wouldn't take a genius to cut a second lug channel and fit an Amphibia case back, if the crystal is tensioned as well then should be good to go deeper than 20/30m but I wouldn't be so trusting.
Both my 'dirskies have two cut-outs in the case, so that the back can be fitted either way (think that my old paratrooper had a 200 m rating, know that it's got 'amphibia' embossed on the back - bought new and until recently, never touched.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts