WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wish Omega would go back to making a simply beautiful dress watch like this...
No claws (Constellation) no Roman numerals (DeVille) no date (Tresor) no minute numbers (Aquaterra) - just a simple manual wind with applied indices (batons or triangles, either's good)

In the meantime, vintage dress rules!
:)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I wish Omega would go back to making a simply beautiful dress watch like this...
No claws (Constellation) no Roman numerals (DeVille) no date (Tresor) no minute numbers (Aquaterra) - just a simple manual wind with applied indices (batons or triangles, either's good)

yes!!

In particular no automatic mechanism, I love this about my Speedy. I don't wear my mechanicals that often so for me an automatic movement is a disadvantage, it's more fragile to hand winding than an old-school hand wound movement. Plus it's simpler, cheaper and cheaper to fix/maintain.

No bragging rights with such a simple movement though.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts

No truer words were ever spoken.

The "claws" on the Constellation are rather crass- one of the designs, that really should have been short-lived. The date window indeed does the Tresor no good, they could cut the size by 1.5 or 2mm too. The Aqua Terra... Frankly, the minute numbers wouldn't bother me, although it definitely would be dressier without them.

The Roman numerals don't fit the contemporary De Ville at all. Of course, some surely like them- I don't.

Regarding the OP's watch- 1950s Geneve models are often overlooked, since the name is associated more with the entry level pieces from the 1960s and the 1970s. The older Geneves were proper dress watches, simple and understated.

Reactions: Apollo83
1 - 8 of 8 Posts