WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent thank you for the response. I got it for an almost to good to be true price and just wanted to verify.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Sometimes the sideview can be a big give-away, as some fakes have a much sharper or abrupt bend in them.

Reactions: mjoranga

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, got it in. I'm a little concerned; this is what happens when I do too much reading. Anyways the concern I have is that there's a kin\bend in the inside of the clasp but it curves on the outside. Is this what people were talking about with the fakes having a bend or am I just being paranoid? Here are some side pictures.
IMG_20161107_104533.jpg
IMG_20161107_104630.jpg
IMG_20161107_104630.jpg
IMG_20161107_104649.jpg

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I wish I had commented on this before you went through with the purchase, but that clasp is almost certainly a fake.
The strap appears real but can't say 100% for certain without more pics.
Please PM me if you want to know the exact reasons why, as it's become pretty apparent that the forgers out there scour open forums for information on creating better quality fakes, since their shoddy work is noticeable to anyone who knows what to look for.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Given the most recent photos, I must agree. I think I see the same things you do.
I wish I had commented on this before you went through with the purchase, but that clasp is almost certainly a fake.
Please PM me if you want to know the exact reasons why, as it's become pretty apparent that the forgers out there scour open forums for information on creating better quality fakes, since their shoddy work is noticeable to anyone who knows what to look for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starting the refund process. The thing that sucks is that I think that the strap is legitimate. Oh well, you win some and lose some.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh goodie, the guy has accepted the return but said that the both the strap and clasp were purchased at the 5th Ave boutique. He also said that the board is guaranteed wrong.

I was always told that if you lie, to believe the lie, and stick to it even after you crash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have 2 genuine Omega deployants made several years apart and while that one you have certainly appears to be genuine as well, there are a couple details that make me question it. I once bought a known copy for about $40 and the details made it obvious it wasn't genuine. The biggest give-away was how it snapped closed/open. The OEM Omega deployants are very smooth, secure and crisp in how they latch closed, not loose when closed and with no extra play in it...just as you would expect them to be for the cost. The copy was returned because I wasn't willing to risk my Omega to this inferior latch fit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not questioning everyone's opinion here. I'm just getting amusement out of the fact that he's sticking to the probable lie. I can only imagine the people that just don't ask about authenticity on somewhere like here. It's a minefield out there.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I'm not questioning everyone's opinion here. I'm just getting amusement out of the fact that he's sticking to the probable lie. I can only imagine the people that just don't ask about authenticity on somewhere like here. It's a minefield out there.
Well, this doesn't have the sharp bend in the side view that I see in almost all of the fake clasp that I have been sent or seen. I have one where the seller said "just keep it" after he refunded me. And mine is missing the small hole on the inside just above "OMEGA".

I've seen much worse - If this is a fake it's a very good one, so I'm not convinced it's a fake yet. All of of the fakes I've tried have a rougher action on clicking and opening, and a sharp bend in the clasp like this one. The one in my photo is nothing like the real one on my Moonwatch (which I don't want to remove and photograph).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've only had one deployant and it was for a 9300 Speedy. I did my research then as well. I'll be honest, it doesn't appear fake to me. The Omega lettering seems crisp and readable and it doesn't have that sharp bend like Doc is talking about, I'd think yours is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've only had one deployant and it was for a 9300 Speedy. I did my research then as well. I'll be honest, it doesn't appear fake to me. The Omega lettering seems crisp and readable and it doesn't have that sharp bend like Doc is talking about, I'd think yours is legit.

There are about six other problems with the clasp proving it's fake other than the two you mentioned.
Granted the item in question appears to be better quality than some previous replicas, it's still a replica.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
There are about six other problems with the clasp proving it's fake other than the two you mentioned.
Granted the item in question appears to be better quality than some previous replicas, it's still a replica.
With replica nowadays, it's so difficult for me to keep up. I had my deployant years ago, so I'd say if this is a fake, it fooled me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts