WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on the Doxa forum and didn’t get anything, so trying here.

There seem to be a ton of very similar Doxas on the bay coming from the UK, just wondering if they appear to the experts to be genuine. They’re interesting as they’re ~38mm vintage pieces.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I knew they were plated, but looked genuine to me. The prices seem crazy cheap when you’ve been on the hunt for a jumbo vintage dress watch though, so I wanted to check if they’re frankens or something. Really decent looking watches in comparison to similar Omega and Zenith oversized watches from the period.

Genuine, but chrome-plated cases.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Doxa chrome-plated cases are apparently of relatively poor quality, and are often in poor condition. You may also be looking at re-dials, such as the one you posted which appears to have white paint creeping up the sides of the applied markers.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Redial, and someone didn't even try to make it look good. The minute track and the "Swiss Made" inscription were removed instead of repainted, and if the watch had "Anti-Magnetique" printed below the Doxa text - well, that's gone as well. Although judging by the splashes of paint - the applied features just sink in it - I feel relieved, that whoever committed that "restoration" hasn't tried to repaint the minute track and all the dial text, because that just wouldn't have a chance to look good if they'd have tried.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Doxa vintage seems quite reasonable. Here's an Ebay 38mm 1945-1950 that looks nice to me even with the chewy case. That dial in post #1 needs a complete high quality makeover.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Yes, they're reasonable because their chrome-plated cases are particularly crappy. But if that looks nice to you, then you're in luck.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Doxa made a ton of watches sized 36-38mm. That said, they're rather easy to come by.

The movements were really good, usually with their own modifications to the bridges. However, the chrome plating on Doxa cases was - unfortunately - rubbish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts