WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about that brand? I've seen a few for sale recently and wouder about their quality etc.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Private Label, Made in PRC?
Point us to an Internet site, it will be easier for us!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S

·
0 Posts
Swiss made watches. Chronos with Valj. 7750, nothing new, average I´d say.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
am I wrong or does GVB own Claro Semag as well?

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,209 Posts
That's right. G von B's background is primarily in low grade quartz movement manufacturing, and going back a few decades, low grade mechanical movement manufacturing. Movement finishing and watch assembly are other areas in which this company has much experience. Their OEM Swiss generics of 50 years ago were rather nice and sold well in the better department stores in this town.

The von Burg-owned Swissebauches Ltd, Hong Kong, are a major manufacturer of 100% Chinese quartz movements found in many fleamarket-grade watches.

More recently, von Burg's have reinvented themselves as a luxury Swiss maker of automatic chronographs. The old feller had an impressive sounding name and they can cite many decades of watchmaking experience (so long as you don't want to look at the details), and the time was right for another Swiss niche brand at this price point.

There's a lot of money behind this new venture, so they can certainly afford to buy the best and most relevant experience in the industry. Their previous ventures probably have little or no relevance to the quality of the current George von Burg watches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts