WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have no experience at all with homage watches, or with modding I will start by saying. I have been seriously considering getting getting a PAM 111 in recent months and in the course of doing research for it I found Getat and fell in love with their sterile sandwich dials.

I can honestly say that I'd rather have the sterile dial that Getat uses than the branded, legitimate Panerai. I do, however, want it to be a nice watch. As nice as I can make it without buying the real thing., even though I was considering buying the real thing. I also love the idea that I can play around with this thing, take it apart, swap out dials, hands, etc. Something I would never thing of doing with a $6K PAM.

So, I was thinking of getting a 44mm sterile sandwich dial Getat, with sapphire glass, and putting a genuine ETA 6497 from Tourby or Ofrei and installing it. Also, getting some genuine PAM straps to go with it.

A few questions though. I noticed that on Tourby's Ebay ad for their 6497 that you can request them to install a higher cannion pin and hour wheel to use with sandwich dials.

Genuine Swiss Made ETA Unitas 6497 1 Movement | eBay

I'm assuming that if I bought from them I should request that, am I right? Do the chinese 6497s that come with Getats have that?

Also does the sapphire glass that Getat uses have AR coating? On both sides? Also, how good is the lume really? I know they say it's superlume, but for $18 a dial they surely can't mean real Super-Luminova can they?

Anyway, the end result I'm looking for is a PAM111 homage with sterile dial, nice lume, sapphire glass, and a legit 6497. Is this a good way to go about it?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you are interested I build PAM homages as well.

I've done a few with Swiss ETA movements.

Here's the most recent I did, has a sandblasted case and blue hands.

Check out the link in my sig for my website.

Note - ill be away until end September.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts