WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about two months left until my wedding day and I've settled on getting my groomsmen watches as a gift. The reason it took me so long to decide on getting watches is because none of them are really watch guys. One of them is fairly attached to his Apple smart watch and the other three don't wear watches day to day. I'd like to get them something on the dressy side that would at least go well with their wedding attire (coastal wedding - grey suits, brown shoes) and my hope is that they will wear the watch again someday.
Since I don't think that they're likely to wear the watch every day I figure something on the cheaper side ($50-70 USD) is appropriate so, I was looking at various Seiko 5s;
Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNK623 Seiko 5 Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch: Seiko: Watches
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XNPM3C
Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNXS77 Seiko 5 Automatic Blue Dial Stainless-Steel Bracelet Watch: Seiko: Watches

I considered HMT but I think that auto or quartz would be better for these guys. Vostok is fun but not dressy enough and their quirks might also not sit well. If I were going to spend $100 or more I would start looking at Casio, Orient or Citizen.

Other potentials:
Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BI1030-53A Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch: Citizen: Watches
Amazon.com: Casio Men's MDV106-1A Stainless Steel Watch: Casio: Watches
Amazon.com: Casio Men's Edifice EF336L-1A1V Black Leather Quartz Watch with Black Dial: Casio: Watches
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-EF503D-1AV-Edifice-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003URWNOG

Not against getting some leather or nato straps to go with the watch, just not sure which would look good with a grey suit. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Have you looked at Cadence?
cadencewatch.com

But get on their mailing list first. There's frequently a coupon. Prices on their site seem to higher than usual right now.
And note the size. Some of their pieces are kinda large.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
If they're not watch guys and likely to infrequently wear it, I wouldn't give them automatics. Take a look at the Waterbury line from timex. Really well made for the price.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I'd go the Seiko 5 route and get a handful of matching SNKs, maybe take advantage of a Massdrop or contacting a gray market retailer to swing volume discount. The easiest and safest would be to get each of them an identical black dial "Son of SARB" model and put them on brown leather straps to match the shoes. Meanwhile, you should sport a fancier but matching SARB, SARY, SARW or SARX because you're the groom!

An alternate plan would be to get them all different color but matching dials and either leave them on bracelets or put them on matching straps. This would work best if each groomsman had the same outfit but had different accent colors (for their tie, shirt, cummerbund, handkerchief or whatever) and the dial matched that bit of color.

Getting them watches is a great idea and a good way to involve them with one of your interests on your big day. Good luck and congrats!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that the Citizen you picked really looks great & would look good just on the bracket stock. Unfortunately it's the higher priced choice but honestly, it looks best for the application IMHO.
And I would also agree that quartz is the way to go.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Agree wit T0dd7illa. Of these, the Citizen looks best - the blue hands make it a bit more out of the ordinary than your other selections, and Citizen makes a solid, reliable product. If you decide to go for automatics, the Orient Symphony is pretty slick and can be had for around $100 — a little above your price range but not by much.

·
Premium Member
68,270 Posts
They offer such good bang for buck that even though they are a bit outside the budget yo have set the Bambino is worth looking at.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds a really awful idea to me. I would not wear a cheapo watch for anyone, even my best mate on his wedding day. If you are gonna get them something then get them something they can really use, so good waterproof, good movement (or quartz), that will look good on the day, but can then be the watch they wear riding a motorbike, swimming in the sea/pool, working in the garage, hiking in the hills.
The only one that you have there that fits the bill is the Casio diver, which interestingly there is a bracelet for. So at a pinch it might do the job.
My only other suggestion in that price bracket is an Invicta Sub Homage - the 8926OB
its cheap but waterproof has a decent Seiko hacking auto movement, and except for the second hand looks like a submariner.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
One of the posters above got it right - no autos. From what I father, your groomsmen aren't WISs.

We need to remember that as a non WIS, these folk s just want a watch to tell the time and work when needed. No resetting after not wearing for a week, no winding, accuracy concerns etc.

I'd also second the Timex Waterbury line. EXCELLENT watches, great build quality, and good design. Price point is pretty good too.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
My vote goes to this one:
Citizen BI1030-53A

But I'd try to swing a little extra and get them all a matching leather strap instead of bracelet.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Cowering to popular opinion, I rescind my recommendation of matching Seiko 5s! However, I would still recommend something more than a quartz movement for novelty value. Whatever you choose, getting them all on brown leather straps that match the shoes would go along way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback! I forgot that I was also considering the Invicta sub mariner homages, those things look much more expensive than they cost and they review pretty well among the watch casual crowds (and even some WIS). I have a black Orient Bambino that I plan to wear myself that day, unless my fiance surprises me with something new (which she has been hinting at). I just bought myself a new Seiko SCED019 so, my personal watch budget is pretty much gone until after the wedding.
I agree that automatics might still be a bit much and these guys are probably better off with quartz. A lot of the autos come with display backs though, and I thought that would add to the "fancy factor" for these guys and make the watch a bit more unique. I considered gshocks briefly since I love mine so much but ultimately it doesn't fit the wedding. I also considered a basic Casio calculator watch since we're all on the nerdy side and that would be a "fun/joke" kind of gift but I'd really like to get them something nicer and something they can't just grab for themselves at Walmart for $20. Pocket watches have been done before. I was in two of these guys' weddings and they both gifted pocket watches to their groomsmen. It's nice and certainly felt fancy at the time (one was even engraved) but I can honestly say that I've only used them one or twice in the past 8 years or so and they just sit in their boxes collecting dust.

Right now the front runners are;
Invicta sub homage: http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-8926OB-Stainless-Automatic-Bracelet/dp/B000JQFX1G
Seiko 5 blue sunburst (plus nice leather strap): Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNXS77 Seiko 5 Automatic Blue Dial Stainless-Steel Bracelet Watch: Seiko: Watches
Citizen quartz: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BI1030-53A-Stainless-Steel-Bracelet/dp/B00KXCU17C
Casio Edifice: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-EF503D-1AV-Edifice-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003URWNOG

The Orient Capital is also within my price range and looks very sharp, Orient Capital Quartz Analog Dress Watch with Day and Date #UG1R002B

·
Registered
36 Posts
For me Citizen quartz looks right watch.Nice color, clear dial and the blue second hand is very good accent.Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'd stay away from Invicta. They might be making "better" watches these days, but their reputation hasn't caught up with them. Someone remarked about them being waterproof...Bring me the evidence to disconfirm their track record around water and I'll give you that.

I would narrow it to Seiko, Citizen, or Casio. Even if they're not watch guys they'll want something that's recognizable. In my mind Seiko and Citizen do the job very well at your price point. It's a nice wedding gift for groomsmen. I think I'm planning on doing it too for my own wedding (whenever that happens!).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just spotted the original date of the first post, I think we're well late!

Interestingly, my best mate liked the watch I built for myself and said that he really liked the Connery Bond Rolex. So I'm building him one. Okay, he's gotta cover the cost of parts, but it'll really mess with peoples heads!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts