WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been through a few location moves so my Sub (purchased new in 2003) has been in a safety deposit box for a couple years. Picked it up today and noticed that it seems to wind and keep time well (a quick glance but need to wear for a few days). However, when I use the crown to wind the watch, I notice that it feels like there is a bit of a “grind” to the winding action.
I am assuming that it needs a standard lubrication, regulation, and servicing before wearing daily again. It has not been serviced since purchase. Any insights on the slight grinding sensation or general tips on getting the watch back into shape before wearing daily would be most appreciated.
Thank you. Hope all is well.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Try winding it a bit each morning, 5 or 10 winds, for a few days. If the grinding sensation persists, it's probably wise to get it checked out. Who knows, it may go away with regular use.
DW

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thank you will try that. It is not a bad grind on the Rolex but just don't remember that in any capacity prior to storage. I remember it being very smooth when winding.

My Kobold Seal has also been in sotrage and does not have this grind when winding - still very smooth.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had a sub in storage for about 4 months & the hands were moving slightly jerky. Eased out once it got back up & running though.

I suggest getting the movement going again & monitor its accuracy over the coming days.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Thanks. What do you mean by "run mine once a month"?
Rather than leaving it untouched in storage for 7 years, he was saying that he winds his once a month and lets it run-out its 40+hr power reserve.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I left mine in the storage for a couple of months and had it winded every fortnight. When I took it out today, the second hands looked jerky...Was I just seeing things?? or was it cold in the safe and that all the greese hardened, which made the second hands struggle a little bit??

Someone just tell me that I'm just paranoid about it.:-d

·
Registered
17 Posts
I left mine in the storage for a couple of months and had it winded every fortnight. When I took it out today, the second hands looked jerky...Was I just seeing things?? or was it cold in the safe and that all the greese hardened, which made the second hands struggle a little bit??

Someone just tell me that I'm just paranoid about it.:-d
You're just paranoid. I don't think the safe is that cold. Rolex watches are famous for there ability to withstand a wide range of temperatures. They have been to the very top of the earth and to the deepest depths, both places are much colder than your average safe. They have been frozen and even boiled.

Check out these Rolex Ads. If they don't convince you then Click for frozen and boiled rolex and here

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts