WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a Panerai Luminor Titanium 44mm OEM Crocodile Strap that I purchased from Tourneau about 7 years ago. We have a new insurance company, so I needed to get it (and some others not purchased at Tourneau) appraised. They appraised it, told me that the value they determined was the most that that particular model had sold for, in this case $3,950. It seems low, more importantly it seems like a bizarre way to appraise anything. Does anybody have any comments or advice on how to get watches properly appraised?
Thanks a lot!
Richard
(and btw, I am assuming that this, not the Panerai thread, is the right place for this post.)

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
What is the type of the watch? Pam 177? 351? Check ebay or chrono24 for price because we are not supposed to give valuations here..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the 118. Sorry if I wasn't clear, though, I wasn't looking for a valuation, I'm looking for advice on the best way to get a watch or any watch professionally appraised. And granted, I can get a sense by looking online, but I need an official appraisal that can be used for insurance purposes.
Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I would think a watchmaker or jeweler would be able to appraise it for you, and give you some kind of certificate of appraisal along with their credentials. The best and most accurate appraisal will come from someone who deals a lot in the type of thing you have, in this case, a Panerai. Call up some local watchmakers and jewelers and see if they do appraisals.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hi,
I have a Panerai Luminor Titanium 44mm OEM Crocodile Strap that I purchased from Tourneau about 7 years ago. We have a new insurance company, so I needed to get it (and some others not purchased at Tourneau) appraised. They appraised it, told me that the value they determined was the most that that particular model had sold for, in this case $3,950. It seems low, more importantly it seems like a bizarre way to appraise anything. Does anybody have any comments or advice on how to get watches properly appraised?
Thanks a lot!
Richard
(and btw, I am assuming that this, not the Panerai thread, is the right place for this post.)
You need to go to someone who is trained to do watch appraisals. With my just-enough-knowledge-to-make-me-dangerous...there are jewelers and retailers that will appraise watches, and then there are watch appraisers who are actually trained and certified (or at least specialize in said appraisals). Jewelers and retailers that will appraise watches will likely use a last sold for price, which means Tourneau may have used the last highest purchase price of a used model of like age. I don't know how different an actual watch appraiser would value your watches. This, at least, is my understanding.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Go to any AD in watches. If you give them business they will do it for nothing. If you don't then you will have to cross their palms with a bit of silver for their time.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hi,
Thanks a lot!
Richard
Technically they are right all mine have been appraised for what I paid for them at the time of purchase.

The difference is they have also appraised it for the price it would cost now to replace as the value will have gone up.

My insurance company also links the valuation to the current price and increases this each year so if the worst happened and I needed to claim I wouldn't lose out.

You may just need to ask them to do you a similar valuation taking into account the price it would cost you to replace the watch today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts