WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knowing I will eventually need to get my RO serviced and having heard about firms' like AP declining to provide parts to independent watchmakers, I googled "watch service price dc" and "let my fingers do the walking."

The 1st place I called, John Alabaster Watch & Clock Shop, stated he can service an AP RO and he can get movement parts, but not bracelet and case parts, (he can get crystals, but not the bezel, bezel screws, & clasp parts). He stated he currently has one customer for whom he provides such service on an AP watch.

The 2nd place I called, Govberg, told me a very different story. They say AP doesn't provide parts of any sort to anyone. They indicated they can get parts for and service JLC watches, caveating that by noting that if the watch is still under warranty, they would not service or even open it it b/c their doing so would void the warranty.

I know what both outfits told me isn't wholly true because I bought a part from AP, albeit not a movement part. Consequently, I sent the following RFI to AP's service center.

Knowing that eventually I will need to service my watch, I called two local watchmakers to ask if they can do so.

One person told me that he can service an AP watch, using genuine AP parts, provided no case and bracelet parts are needed. The other told me nobody can service an AP watch because one cannot get any genuine AP parts.

Neither person's statement comports with my own experience. To wit, I ordered and received a bracelet part, a link, from AP's Clearwater service center.

So what's the true story?
- Are there certain persons to whom you will sell parts and others to whom you won't?
- What parts are you willing to sell to others and what parts won't you sell to others?

Thanks in advance for your clear and precise reply.

Tip:
FWIW, one of the persons with whom I spoke shared with me a tip for getting at least one free service if one buys one's watch new (not new to you): send the watch to the maker shortly b4 the warranty expires. The maker will service the watch under the warranty and provide an additional two years of warranty, all for free, save for shipping costs. (If one takes the watch to the maker's boutique, one can avoid the shipping costs.)

That technique works for any watch made by AP, PP, JLC, Rolex, VC, Hublot and a host of other makers. (IDK if it works for non-posh watchmakers' products.) As some of you may have already gleaned, for JLC, that means one can, assuming nothing goes awry with one's watch, get two services for free because when one buys a new JLC and registers it, one's warranty is extended to 8 years. In contrast, for AP, one can get one free servicing b/c registering a new watch extends the warranty to 5 years. Either way, however, operating on the lustrum model for servicings, availing oneself of this tip gets one ten years of substantively cost free operation.

(If, instead, you send the watch after the warranty expires, you will pay out-of-pocket for the servicing.)

Note to potential responders:

Do not construe the above as my advising one to do anything. I'm merely sharing information that has come my way. Avail yourself of it as you see fit. Whether and how you do is not my concern.​

11-April-2020 - UPDATE FROM AP's SERVICE CENTER
An AP service center employee replied to my email as shown below:
Thank you for your email and I hope you are stay safe and healthy.

As you may know by now, our US Service Center has been closed until the end of April and we are operating with limited access to emails.

We only sell straps, buckles, pins, screws and bracelets to our end clients or retailers.

We are the only US authorized service center that works on AP watches, so if your watch needs to be serviced, we recommend sending the timepiece directly to the service center.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, it appears AP have implemented an auto reply bot for its email server.

The bot has replied as follows:

Thank you for contacting Audemars Piguet.

In this period of uncertainty, people’s safety remains at the heart of our priorities. This is why we have decided to close our Service Center until further notice, effective immediately.

This decision was taken to respect local legislations in order to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

During this time, there will be no receiving, invoicing and shipping of repairs or spare parts.

We will be checking our [email protected] email regularly. Should you have any questions or require assistance, please do not hesitate to email us.

We will keep you informed and in our thoughts, and as always, we thank you for being a valued member of the AP family.
I will update the OP when I get a substantive reply to my email.

Edit:
I had to laugh at the pointless happenstance of an email bot exhorting folks who sent an email requesting assistance to send an email to AP for assistance and answers to questions.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Knowing I will eventually need to get my RO serviced and having heard about firms' like AP declining to provide parts to independent watchmakers, I googled "watch service price dc" and "let my fingers do the walking." The 1st place I called, John Alabaster Watch & Clock Shop, stated he can service an AP RO and he can get movement parts, but not bracelet and case parts, (he can get crystals, but not the bezel, bezel screws, & clasp parts). He stated he currently has one customer for whom he provides such service on an AP watch. The 2nd place I called, Govberg, told me a very different story. They say AP doesn't provide parts of any sort to anyone. They indicated they can get parts for and service JLC watches, caveating that by noting that if the watch is still under warranty, they would not service or even open it it b/c their doing so would void the warranty. I know what both outfits told me isn't wholly true because I bought a part from AP, albeit not a movement part. Consequently, I sent the following RFI to AP's service center.
Tip: FWIW, one of the persons with whom I spoke shared with me a tip for getting at least one free service if one buys one's watch new (not new to you): send the watch to the maker shortly b4 the warranty expires. The maker will service the watch under the warranty and provide an additional two years of warranty, all for free, save for shipping costs. (If one takes the watch to the maker's boutique, one can avoid the shipping costs.) That technique works for any watch made by AP, PP, JLC, Rolex, VC, Hublot and a host of other makers. (IDK if it works for non-posh watchmakers' products.) As some of you may have already gleaned, for JLC, that means one can, assuming nothing goes awry with one's watch, get two services for free because when one buys a new JLC and registers it, one's warranty is extended to 8 years. In contrast, for AP, one can get one free servicing b/c registering a new watch extends the warranty to 5 years. Either way, however, operating on the lustrum model for servicings, availing oneself of this tip gets one ten years of substantively cost free operation. (If, instead, you send the watch after the warranty expires, you will pay out-of-pocket for the servicing.) Note to potential responders:
Do not construe the above as my advising one to do anything. I'm merely sharing information that has come my way. Avail yourself of it as you see fit. Whether and how you do is not my concern.​
They won't do a free warranty service if the watch is not broken.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
They won't do a free warranty service if the watch is not broken.
You're welcome to think that and act in accordance with that stance.

Govberg's watchmaker is the third to have told me that tip.
You're both right, sort of. At least for AP, what will happen is that you send your watch in during the initial warranty period. They will do a pressure test (only), not a full service, and then you get the extended warranty.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're both right, sort of. At least for AP, what will happen is that you send your watch in during the initial warranty period. They will do a pressure test (only), not a full service, and then you get the extended warranty.
I already have the extended warranty, and I have not sent my watch in for service of any sort. To get the warranty extension, I simply registered my watch on their website.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I already have the extended warranty, and I have not sent my watch in for service of any sort. To get the warranty extension, I simply registered my watch on their website.
Well, I bought my RO several years back, perhaps they’ve changed the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was going through the process of having my RO sent off for service. Not really satisfied with the experience. I had to email them numerous times for them to reply. Then I called the listed number and the number didn't work. When they finally called me after I complained they said my watch is too old to service but they'd take it in to try to diagnose my movement problem. I was about to ship it when they notified me they've suspended work in the service center.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going through the process of having my RO sent off for service. Not really satisfied with the experience. I had to email them numerous times for them to reply. Then I called the listed number and the number didn't work. When they finally called me after I complained they said my watch is too old to service but they'd take it in to try to diagnose my movement problem. I was about to ship it when they notified me they've suspended work in the service center.
TY for sharing your experience.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received a reply from the AP service center. I posted the reply as an update to post #1 in this thread.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Interesting. Not sure, but if you are talking AP Service center in Clearwater, FL I had very good experience with them so far. Promptly replies to all my mails, prompt shipping of the pre-paid postage and box to ship the watch, quick quotation and personal updates while the watch in the service. Have not gotten it back yet, as they suspended the ops as we all know.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If this an AP Official Service Center, then why would people buy an AP if they don’t service old model? Are they expecting their watches to be thrown to garbage after several years?

https://www.instagram.com/fliegerb777/

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. Not sure, but if you are talking AP Service center in Clearwater, FL I had very good experience with them so far. Promptly replies to all my mails, prompt shipping of the pre-paid postage and box to ship the watch, quick quotation and personal updates while the watch in the service. Have not gotten it back yet, as they suspended the ops as we all know.
My experience with the FL service center resembles yours.

Were I to complain, my complaint would pertain to a specific clerk in the NYC store, not with the service center personnel. When seeking additional links, a NY store clerk told me my choices were to buy a link for ~$150 or a link and a half for ~$200, casting the latter as though it is two horizontal pieces. In fact, the link and a half is one horizontal link having the rise of one and a half links.

Had the clerk been clearer, I'd have bought two 1.0-rise links rather than one 1.5-rise link. That said, the 1.5-rise link is acceptable, so I kept it. I refrained from lodging a complaint or suggesting a staff-development action, because despite the mischaracterization, my watch fits, and I'm sufficiently content with its fit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought a Novelty, and while service was impeccable

I got the warranty extended online, and it was a quick process,

Took 5 minutes , done by the boutique SA.

·
Registered
830 Posts
OK. Got a mail from them. They resumed ops and my watch has been serviced and is being shipped back to me. Will be here on Tue.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I thought I would share my experience with the AP Service center in Clearwater, FL. I got my watch back from the service. They were extremely supportive and answered all my questions promptly, very quickly and to my complete satisfaction.
The service work was flawless and the only slowdown was due to them closed for coronavirus reasons. Once they opened back I got the mail from them promptly updating me on the status of my watch and soon enough I received the watch back.
It came nicely packaged

with all the paperwork, AP card and two nice boxes

They updated me on the shipping and followed up with all my questions and needs.

Overall it was the best service center experience I had with any watch brands and I am extremely happy customer who will go back to them for the next service when the time comes.
I also got few spare parts from them and overall I felt like they answered each and every request I had.

So the watch is back on my wrist these days :)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I only live a few miles from the Clearwater Service Center. I have a new to me AP Jules Audemars "Arnold" chronometer that hasn't ever been servicesd I asked if I could walk it in so I could get a look at their shop. Unfortunately, the virus has forced them to prohibit visits. I'll have to mail it even thought we are just a few miles apart.

CIncy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts