WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Thanks for that. I like the bit about 'resourceful and fanatical foreign watch geeks'.

Er, that'll be us then. :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
thx, this is tricky. the giez is very cool, as is the oceanus. however, I dislike titanium and have been disappointed to see that nearly all, if not all, oceanus models are Ti. that said, they are classier looking, whatever that's worth.

he makes the point that the oceanus can be worn on business/dining occasions, while the giez can be worn for sporting activities/oil changing. in my world, however, the giez would do just fine under all circumstances.

I love the SS case of the giez, not sure about the strap. If I get it, I would strongly consider a retrofit with MTG 910DA type black IP bracelet.

I'm psyched to see actual video of these watches in action, great idea.

and $227 for the black giez? where did he buy it? ;-)

cheers, thx for the link

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I absolutley love this watch however, this is one foreign watch geek who won't be buying as the atomic time updates only work in Japan and USA not UK. Please Casio make a UK version.
Best regards
Andy

·
Registered
233 Posts
[...]

I love the SS case of the giez, not sure about the strap. If I get it, I would strongly consider a retrofit with MTG 910DA type black IP bracelet.

[...]
Would the MTG 910 bracelet fit? That's a stealthy looking watch. I agree it should have the option of a metal band. Very expensive too, like $340 at superchrono.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx, this is tricky. the giez is very cool, as is the oceanus. however, I dislike titanium and have been disappointed to see that nearly all, if not all, oceanus models are Ti.
I'm the same. I don't "do" titanium (which is a pity, as I would love a blue Seiko Samurai).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Seamaster, thanks for the link.

I read the review of the Giez 1000BJ. I also read the linked review of the Oceanus 5 Motor.

I was surprised that the two reviews were authored by the same person.

In the Oceanus review, the author appears to be a knowledgeable watch collector. Watch his video, and see the ease with which he talks about the features. Read the detailed text describing the features, using appropriate terms.

Contrast that to his description of the Giez case and bracelet as having "some kind of black abrasion resistant coating," as if IP coating is a foreign concept to him.

The reviewer give the strap pretty short shrift-- "it's standard g-shock rubber." What does that mean? I mean, this is a guy who included a lengthy video with narration in his last review, whose article is entitled "The Watch Report."

But what really calls this reviewer's credibility into question is when he says the G crystal is "plastic or acrylic."

Just for a kicks, I've included a pic of the Giez from superchronos, because it's a good close-up, better than that shown in "The Watch Report."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Would the MTG 910 bracelet fit? That's a stealthy looking watch. I agree it should have the option of a metal band. Very expensive too, like $340 at superchrono.
don't know, but I have some ideas on how to make it fit. currently I have one black IP bracelet in my possession, attached to my GL-7000RF. I won't use it for an actual retrofit, but just having it on hand will allow me to eyeball the situation to see how to execute the modification.

of course, I need to buy the Giez, the most important step, difficult to execute while begging for spare change on the street corner following the holidays ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The reviewer give the strap pretty short shrift-- "it's standard g-shock rubber." What does that mean?
there are several people on this board who own the GS-1000J original edition, they might be able to chime in re: comfort of the strap. In my case, a thinner rubber strap is a good thing, everything I read about this watch seems to suggest the rubber strap is thin and comfortable.

cheers

·
Registered
247 Posts
The strap is rubber as opposed to the harder resin or plastic variations that most of us are familiar with. As you said it is also not as wide as most G straps and is very flexible. Because the watch is fairly substantial, it is somewhat top heavy unless strapped down tighter than I normally wear my watches. It is a beautiful piece, and feels very well put together. I don't mind the rubber or silicone strap, but do wish it were a little wider. Also, I don't really miss the light because the lume is pretty good, but wonder why it couldn't have been fitted with the same light system as the MR-G 2100, 3000, 7000 etc. Mine is the first model to come out and while it doesn't get much wrist time, I've never regretted it's purchase. It looks great in person. Don't know which of the three I would buy if I had it to do over again, they all look very nice.

Hope that helps,

Ben

·
Registered
62 Posts
The subdial at 2 o'clock measures the minutes & hours during chrono mode. Btw, this watch cannot do split time - just a simple start/stop/resume.

In the video, you see the chronograph fraction of a second and second hand, but what about the minutes and hours? In the review it states that the chrono can measure up to 23 hrs 59min 59 sec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts