WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, could use your opinions. A close friend of mine is going to be transferred to the Hong Kong office of a major financial company. He will be in Europe for a few months for training, followed by a 3 year+ stint in Asia. I was thinking of getting him a nice watch (under $500) to celebrate this step in his life, and was particularly thinking about a GMT or dual-time zone type of watch, so he could always know the time back home.
The thing is, Hong Kong time and our local EST is a 12 hour difference (11 or 13 during DST, i forget which). Would a GMT be pointless if the two hour hands are almost always going to be aligned (except during DST, and except when he is in Europe for those few months)? Would a watch with a 24 hour subdial be a better choice? Or should I just forget the idea? If dual-time, then what do you suggest?

The criteria for this gift will be: under $500, automatic preferred, ~40mm, dressy to impress for office work/social outings/networking, but not so much that he would be mugged. WR 100 is a plus but not necessary.
I was thinking along the lines of a Tissot Le Locle, Hamilton, or even the same Seagull 819 that I have. I have noticed that he wears a black movado museum on black leather band fairly often.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Le Locle. I still want one, even though it doesn't make the list in my sig line right now, LOL. I've seen one in person, handled it and tried it on. Its pretty sexy. Would be at home in a corporate suit and tie job environment and look good going to dinner later the same day.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I was thinking of getting him a nice watch (under $500) to celebrate this step in his life, and was particularly thinking about a GMT or dual-time zone type of watch, so he could always know the time back home.
The thing is, Hong Kong time and our local EST is a 12 hour difference (11 or 13 during DST, i forget which). Would a GMT be pointless if the two hour hands are almost always going to be aligned (except during DST, and except when he is in Europe for those few months)? Would a watch with a 24 hour subdial be a better choice? Or should I just forget the idea? If dual-time, then what do you suggest?
IMHO, a GMT or dual time watch sounds like a great idea. There are very few where the hands would be aligned (or opposite); almost all have the second time zone using a 24 hour hand for the second zone. That can be a sub-dial, but is is usually a chapter ring or bezel.

The criteria for this gift will be: under $500, automatic preferred, ~40mm, dressy to impress for office work/social outings/networking, but not so much that he would be mugged. WR 100 is a plus but not necessary.
I was thinking along the lines of a Tissot Le Locle, Hamilton, or even the same Seagull 819 that I have. I have noticed that he wears a black movado museum on black leather band fairly often.
There aren't very many GMT or dual-time automatics for under $500; the only (non-cheap) ones that immediately come to mind are from Orient. The DJ02003W/DJ02002B have a most of the features you'd find in any quality Swiss watch with sapphire crystal, hacking/hand-winding movement, and a solid end links bracelet. With a power reserve and GMT/dual hand, you won't find anything Swiss like it for less than a couple of grand (and this will compare well with them). Here are a couple of reviews that came out when they launched last year:
Orient GMT with hack and handwind - DJ02003W | Yeoman's Watch Review
Orient DJ02002W GMT Watch Review
Available from Orient USA, Long Island Watch (great rep for service) and others
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The other higher grade (sapphire crystal, high-end bracelet) GMT/World Time Orients are bigger at around 43mm.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

If he's used to wearing a quartz watch, another might be what he'd prefer. Plus, if he's still going to wear the Movado sometimes, and he isn't a watch geek like most of us here, he might not like that an auto has to be reset if it isn't worn every day.

The Hamilton Field GMTs are available for under $600 from gray market sellers.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I am an American living in China and I will add that you should not be on the fence about GMT. It is extremely useful. However, one caveat, if your friend will be in-country for an extended period, having a constant reminder of the "home" time makes it harder to acclimate.

That being said, the GMT pointer is very useful in reminding of things like when it is appropriate to phone. Even hough you have 12 hour difference (I think mine is 16) a GMT dial still makes life much easier for overseas workers. It is something I definitely recommend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
you know, I think I've been looking at GMT watches the wrong way. I didn't understand that there is a 24 hour bezel and the 2nd hour hand moves in a different pace accordingly.
Now, a dual time watch does make more sense, particularly Hasaf's comment about a day/night reminder. I like ckot's recommendation on the Orient, particularly with a white face (he can opt to change to black leather straps if he wishes). I prefer the Orient Star for the red hand to give it some "pop", but its well outside my budget!

Orient Constellation DJ02002w -- does it look a little too busy?

I REALLY love the looks of this one.. a WUS posted a nice review and pics https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/jacques-lemans-geneve-gmt-[w-pics]-457049.html . It's quartz, but its very affordable and classy looking. But can't find one for sale anywhere!!

also like this Chris Ward C9 gmt .. but at $650 its more than I want to spend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i've been searching some more and narrowed it down to these:
Orient . automatic, 40mm. I feel this size is more appropriate for suits.

Bulova Accutron gemini . automatic, 43mm. not sure which color combo is best

Christopher Ward c9 harrison gmt . automatic, 43mm. I really dig this classy look.

Citizen Radio controlled cb0010-53a . eco-drive, 43mm. I tried this on in store and while it wasn't what I was originally looking for (a 4th GMT hand), the radio control settings allows him to change time zones easily and it adjusts automatically and quickly. Pretty cool! Might actually be more useful for his finance work than as a constant reminder of home time. Would probably recommend him to change to leather band.

Help me decide! Remember, this is a gift for my friend that is going to be working overseas for a finance company. He'll be in Europe and then Asia. I want it to be office appropriate (suit and tie) but also dressed down as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.