WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
My brother passed on to my son a Suunto that was issued to him as a door gunner on UH60s. Said the manual was the size of War and Peace. I can't figure out how to get it out of mil time.

In the cockpit the mission computers will hack to Zulu. However when you are making your way to the local pub in England, snacking on a shwarma in Dubai or dropping a few baht stageside in Thailand an easily adjusted mechanical will pay dividends. That Sinn above looks to fit the bill nicely and that UTC can easily become local time. Those pesky +30 timezones in St Johns, NFLD and Afghanistan will create problems. But who needs a watch in St Johns anyhow? Those folks will take good care of you no matter what the hour.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Was the Suunto a Core btw? I've been trying to figure one out that I have listed f/s for someone else on the chance I may want it myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
EDIT: posted a reply before I noticed the thread was months old. Probably too late to be helpful, but I'll leave it here anyway for future searches...

I'm a retired USAF fighter pilot, now flying commercial. So based on experience, many guys have a nice watch they wear at the bar, and a "beater" they use at work. Cockpits are hard on watches. You bang your arm around when flying and stick it in sharp places on the ground. Some of us wear really nice watches when not flying, and then wear a $15 Casio at work.

I'd get him one with a sapphire crystal, and one that's easy to set (not a million digital functions). Citizen makes the PMD56-2951 or the BN0110-06E. Victorinox makes a bunch of nice ones. I just got the 241518. Hamilton make a lot of nice field watches that would work.

I'm sure he'd be happy with anything you get him, and give him my best wishes. It's a great life...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agree with ^ on all counts, and ill leave these notes for future searches.

Cockpit and gearing up/down are tough on watches. There are a brave (or reckless) few who wear their Bremonts and Breitlings in the jet. (The Bremonts get really scratched up). The guys all have the nice watches for TDY or out at the bar, but all wear Gshocks/Timexs or Citizens in the jet. Cant speak for the heavies but in the light grey and pointy world once the GPS/INS is spun up, all the working is done off that clock since it is in front of you and is what everyone else sees as well.

I own a Gshock Aviation GW-3000BB and love it. Is it tougher to set than a mech or Quartz analogue? Yeah it is, but its been tough as nails and exceptionally accurate. I also find it easy to read compared to many analogues. Not the best time zone jumping watch but hey, he is a pilot. He can get it sorted.

There is no simpler answer than a solid digi. Esp one with world time functions. However since he'll likely get issued one and that doesn't meet the intention of your request ill leave that alone.

One that may interest you is the Citizen World Time A-T AT9010-52E. Very easy to use, accurate and atomic updated, solar charged, fluid transition between time zones, alarm. Pretty full up. Shot to the top of my most worn/most travelled with watches. Citizens are robust too. 9Gs hasnt hurt this one the few times ive flown with it. Pics for effect.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts