·
Registered
413 Posts
Never heard of Gigandet before so I'm curious

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Gigandet is an affordable brand in Europe, based in Germany although they're "Germasian" with Japanese movements and assembly in Asia. They're just now making inroads to the US market though one German distributor, but they're aimed more at the $90-150 market.

Seiko, as always, makes watches from $50 to $50,000 and you have to qualify which Seiko you're looking at to have a valid comparison. Seiko makes nice watches, but the price points are very close-- at $130 can you find a better Seiko or Gidandet? Maybe one or the other? Depends on what you're looking for? Throw in an extra $50-100 and Seiko is probably going to be the clear winner.

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
Gigandet went bust 30 years ago and the name was bought in 2011 by people that have nothing to do with the original brand as far as i know.
They make some pretty cheap and generic stuff these days, ive not heard anything really bad about them but nothing great either..

Id be taking Seiko,
cheers

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I own more Seiko's than Gigandets, so I say Seiko. :)

Gigandet does some cool looking pieces, but you get what you pay for. With Seiko, I often feel like I got more than my money's worth. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Seiko are a huge company with a vast array of choices, great history in watchmaking, are great innovators, and make watches respected even by watch snobs.

Gigandet are a revived name with little to do with the original brand, and their best watches use movements made by.... Seiko!

I own a couple of Gigandet's, both bought during lightning sales, and I like them well enough. Good quality straps and bracelets, solid build, good timekeepers (although I had to regulate the NH35 in my Sea-Ground, it keeps a solid 1.5 +/- s/d now)They tend to all be big pieces, but they have a nice bunch of designs for a reasonable outlay.

·
Premium Member
71,531 Posts
I reckon I'd pick Seiko. I'm not afraid to try new watches but when faced with an either or choice I usually go with the brand I know is good.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Really depends on a particular model. Have had seikos monster and snzj13 before. Great watches... Liked them a lot.
I went Gigandet last year as I was looking for a nice automatic sub homage. Didnt regret buying it. Good value for the money...
Still have it in fact

Skickat från min SM-A510F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Seiko

1 - 12 of 12 Posts