WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this watch over eBay, maybe a little hastily, but it is on its way to me and I like the look of it. So I am really just trying to get some information from someone more knowledgeable about Girard Perregaux vintage watches than me.

What I know about the watch is it appears to be in pretty decent shape, the seller proclaims it is the original dial and been serviced and keeping excellent time. We will see about all those claims. It is solid 18k gold, the case back has the appropriate markings, and everything seems to fit, except I cannot find one scintilla of information about the actual model of the watch.

Photos in this Link

I can't seem to post the photos to the thread.

So things I know about the watch

34mm without the crown
18k gold
Hand Wound
17 jewels
1209449 movement - Girard-Perregaux Caliber 12.09 - Circa 1960

Any information that others may have would be very much appreciated. Even if I could find out that it is a Franken made from two different GP watches, at least then I would know a little more. I am not too concerned about the nature of the watch as I plan on wearing the heck out of it (provided 34mm doesn't look too small on my wrist). Thanks for looking. Sorry I cannot post photos to this thread, please take a look at the folder link for more of them.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I have no idea how long it will take to get here but will hopefully be happily posting some photos of it asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Arrived this afternoon... and on the wrist.

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

My initial impressions are of amazement that something so old could look so good. I am just thrilled. It is a little small for my wrist, but to be fair to it, the Sumo I had on before is my direct visual comparison and greatly contributes to this thought. It is in the background for comparison sake. But this is a beautiful piece. I am going to keep it wound for a few days and see how it performs. It is currently about 1 second back on atomic time (time.gov) and I am going to see how it performs over one week.

Condition wise, it looks mint, fresh out of the box, the only sign of wear at all is some pitting on the gold hands. Everything else is just mint and flawless.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, it is running well, just timed it for the first week. With winding once per 24 hours it keeps time to -4 seconds per day on average with very little fluctuation. Now to find out how much power reserve I have... We will see when it runs out.

So far thrilled with this watch!

Reactions: thoth

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran out last night around 00:30... So... Carry the one... 40.5 hour power reserve. A little off 42 hours, but probably ok for a watch this old.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beautiful! I can attest that they do turn up now and then very clean and honest. I recently took in a very pretty gold GP along these same lines. It was a presentation watch for an employee of a large company that lived it’s life pretty much untouched complete in the original boxes and even with papers / booklet. Will post some pics for ya over the weekend. Enjoy yours!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found this gem on chrono 24, I already have a grail GP but I thought you might like it. It's not in perfect condition but I contacted the seller and the movement still looks amazing, with a new crystal and a nice distressed leather band it could look like a million bucks!! Apperently I cant put a link in right now, contact me if you would like to see it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts