WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I really can't tell from the pic but the dial seems to be labeled something like Spalding-Gorham... I'm not sure what this has to do with Girard Perregaux.

Sub seconds in round watches were popular in the 40's and 50's. Without more data, better pics, and movement pics, there isn't much more to comment on...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the information:

Features:
Spalding - Gorham Signed Roman Numeral Deco
Dial and Fancy Pink Gold Plated Bracelet, High
Grade Girard-Perregaux Movement

Case:
10K Pink Gold Filled Wadsworth Midsized Case
Numbered Inside: T135598

Dial:
Good Original Condition Signed Spalding -
Gorham and Swiss Below the Large Sub-Seconds
Register. Roman Numerals and Fancy Hands. Art
Deco Design

Movement:
17 Jewel Swiss Movement Signed
Girard-Perregaux Co, Swiss, GXM and
Numbered: 06 440

Dimensions:
30mm diameter excluding crown x 36mm top to
bottom.

Condition:
Good overall condition with a 90 day mechanical
warranty.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Identical pic as far as I can tell... Pricey site...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Selling for $249, is that pricey for this watch?
I found out the Spalding-Gorham or Spaulding Gorham was and is a silverware manufacturer and they commissioned Girard Perregaux to make the watch for them. Hence Spaulding Gorham on the dial and Girard Perregaux movement.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I found out the Spalding-Gorham or Spaulding Gorham was and is a silverware manufacturer and they commissioned Girard Perregaux to make the watch for them. Hence Spaulding Gorham on the dial and Girard Perregaux movement.
You see a lot of this in the watch business... Tiffiny & Co. just signed an exclusive with the Swatch Group to have them do the same.

As to wither or not a price is a good price or a bad price... it's really hard to tell. Especially over the Internet! Condition plays a large part. Bad condition is sometimes easy to see... good condition a little harder. Demand is important... Anything with Omega on it can be sold to the lemmings and there are a lot of lemmings.

I needed a watch to fill in a niche in my Autoquartz collection... I would have paid a small fortune for it if it had come to that... does that mean it is worth a small fortune? Probably not.

If you are a GP collector maybe the watch is worth huge piles of money... to you. To me ... well, I wouldn't have paid either of the mentioned prices. But I only collect GP 36000 bhp mechanicals and their early quartz.

That said, most of the prices on the site were above what I have seen on eBay... but the condition of the watches seemed to be good so some will think them worth it.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The vintage watch market is like the real estate market really.. condition, condition, condition instead of location, location, location. And it's the buyer that sets the price, especially on eBay where there are plenty of buyers and sellers and the market is efficient. Fortunately there's no need to have subprime mortgages unless you collect Pateks.
You can overpay, especially if you are buying a vintage model that's a hot brand nowadays..you know the usual suspects here.
As far as other Internet watch sites go...if the price includes service and restoration then you are justified to pay more than eBay (within reason of course).
GP is a nice brand but I wouldn't call it a hot one nowadays..not like you know who. However if you are a GP aficionado maybe it's worth it to you.
You see why we don't want to do valuations here?

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Nice one! One of the other members runs this HF site... it has some good data. I was suprised how many 36000s were built by various vendors... but GP was one of the first!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own a couple of GP Sea Hawks. One in stainless, one in 14K w/SS back. Both of them look like the same style of watch and have the 17J movement in them. Both are great time keepers. Because I have small wrists, I like a smaller wristwatch, which these are. I have seen quite a few Sea Hawks but not with Roman numeral dial and that style of hands. It's interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts