WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is an old gp seahawk w/ original dial and some crusty bits of lume worth $100? there's one in an antique shop up the road from me and it looks GOOD, i just don't know if it's worth $10 or $1000. ebay hasn't helped with getting a comparo at all. some of the old ones go for cheap, but they have arabic numerals or simple marks, and THIS one has roman numerals and a sub second, AND an awesome SS bracelet. looks original, but i don't really know.
and the only one that looks even almost similar is a 'buy now' for 1500... way too much in my opinion. but if that's a fair value, then 100 is a bargain.

i'd just hate to spend a bunch of money (for me) and not get good value/dollar...

any opinions???

and i can't find a pic on the net at all b/c there just isn't one...
i want to get this but i don't want my wife to kill me. know what i mean?

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Have you asked to open the back?

If you can, and the mvmnt is actually in there ;-) and right and not rusted - i'd think it was well worth $100. Of course, getting it serviced and reconditioned might cost quite a bit but it is a bit of real class.

I'd be tempted to take the punt.

si

·
Registered
26,432 Posts
is an old gp seahawk w/ original dial and some crusty bits of lume worth $100? there's one in an antique shop up the road from me and it looks GOOD, i just don't know if it's worth $10 or $1000. ebay hasn't helped with getting a comparo at all. some of the old ones go for cheap, but they have arabic numerals or simple marks, and THIS one has roman numerals and a sub second, AND an awesome SS bracelet. looks original, but i don't really know.
and the only one that looks even almost similar is a 'buy now' for 1500... way too much in my opinion. but if that's a fair value, then 100 is a bargain.

i'd just hate to spend a bunch of money (for me) and not get good value/dollar...

any opinions???

I got this old lady (from the 40s') for 150€, and I still think it's a bargain even if some pieces aren't original ;-)

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,355 Posts

any opinions???

Try to resist the idea that this is an undiscovered deal that the antique dealer is blissfully unaware of. Chances are the dealer recognizes the brand name and has a good sense for valuing watches and other jewlery.

Ignoring the name on the dial, do you like the watch style? If it ran would you wear it? Is the cosmetic damage (patina) something you could live with or would you want to get it restored?

If the answer is yes to the above, then find out if it has a running movement and whether the movement looks to be original to the watch. Pop the back and see if it is complete. If all looks good then $100 is a reasonable price for an older watch that you like.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i handled it today. it's got a neat little SS mesh band not original to the watch. but it seemed like the nicest bit. it felt really cheap when i handled it. it wound and ran nicely. didn't pop the back.

handed it back and she asked her boss what could they do for me, he said $75... after handling it, i'm still not sure. I don't think i'm gonna get it. the dial looked really nice, looked original, but... still.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Try to resist the idea that this is an undiscovered deal that the antique dealer is blissfully unaware of. Chances are the dealer recognizes the brand name and has a good sense for valuing watches and other jewlery.
I must agree here.

Pretty much only time I heard of getting a fantastic bargain from the Pawn Shop or Antique dealer was a guy getting a Grand Seiko for $100 or something like that. That is probably because of the fact that the dealer did not recognized the value of that particular Seiko. However, well known Swiss luxury brand name like Girard Perregaux would be difficult for the dealer to miss. As a matter of fact, if the watch had unknown name, it would fetch FAR less than asking price even if it was a Swiss made vintage. Which tells you the perceived condition by the owner of the shop.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Less than £50 for a vintage GP that looks in reasonable nick?

Personally I'd take the punt

I think antique shops do get it wrong - I am a vintage pen collector and I have often seen pens grossly overpriced and grossly underpriced in decent antique shops. My father collects Blue n white porcelain and he buys bargains from antique sellers who dont know what they have.

OK - Girrard Perregaux is a famous name, and you would expect them to know it, but maybe not, they are rarely experts in everything. Antique sellers often work on percentages - bloke comes in & says "give us a £20 for this watch" - and they then triple it up at point of sale.

If I liked the watch, if I wanted to keep it or thought after servicing/repair there was a bit of profit in sale, then I'd go for it. Nice project to have. If it turns out to be a loser - at least on the ebay you might claw back a bit of the investment.e

si

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
yeah, i handled it today. it's got a neat little SS mesh band not original to the watch. but it seemed like the nicest bit. it felt really cheap when i handled it. it wound and ran nicely. didn't pop the back.

handed it back and she asked her boss what could they do for me, he said $75... after handling it, i'm still not sure. I don't think i'm gonna get it. the dial looked really nice, looked original, but... still.
If it runs, winds smoothly, and has a clean dial, I don't see how bad $75 could be... how cheap could you possibly find a GP in decent shape?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts