WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I received the Baselworld Daily News and to my surprise I found this article about the new and amazing Tourbillon. And maybe the least amazing is the Tourbillon.

Sounds weird?

No, not if you read the full article and understand what this worldtimer watch is all about.
No, not if you understand the complexity of the watch and the easy to be read dial.
No, not if you understand that this watch took years of development and the best master watchmakers to build it.

I saw the watch with my own eyes in a highly confidential atmosphere in the Glashuette Original booth at Baselworld, only a couple of days ago. And none of the happy few members of the press were allowed to photograph this beauty.

Luckily it is now official published and we are all able to see it, although the picture is real small, if not too small. Anyhow, I hope you will enjoy the article, and thanks to GO for inviting me and the treat afterwards with some exquisite finger food and cocktails.

BWDN_20120312-11.jpg

The German watchmaker creates another masterpiece

Glashütte Original, the German luxury watchmaker based in Glashütte, Saxony, and owned by the Swatch Group, is known for mechanical masterpieces, crafted according to the finest traditions of centuries of Saxon watchmaking.

One standout at BASELWORLD 2012 is the limited edition Grande Cosmopolite Tourbillon, a world first and the “most unusual and sophisticated masterpiece in our history,” says a company report. This exquisite timepiece enables a global traveller to track the time of day or night simultane- ously at home and on the road in any two of 37 world time zones. It adjusts correctly for Daylight Saving (DST) or Standard Time (STD) and can move forward ‘timewise’ (eastward) or backward (eastward). All time and date adjustments by the wearer are displayed by a perpetual calendar geared to register the changes in both directions.

Completing this unique combination of horlogical complications − a world-first for mechanical watches, says the company − is a flying minute tourbillon (originally developed in 1920 in Glashütte). Its dial design looks like a happy smiling face due to the placement of its day, month and day/night subdials.

Glashütte Original has applied for four patents to protect the expertise that created this horological masterpiece. The 48 mm timepiece has a platiunum case, is manually-wound, with a 72-hour power reserve. The world time zones are engraved on the case back. It is limited to 25 pieces.

(wgs, for Baselworld Dialy News)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The mechanics seems amazing with all those complications, and I'm sure the watch looks amazing in person, although it's hard to tell from the small pic.
I'm sure it will be priced waaay out of my range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts