WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned my PanoReserve for about 7 months now, and I thought I might as well give a review of it because I don't see many of them around and I am bored stuck in quarantine. So others will know if this is the watch for them, I'll give you the things I've experienced so far in my ownership as a near-daily driver. Forgive the crappy cell phone camerawork.

Strap

I purchased it new from an AD on the blue Louisiana alligator strap. It's a substantial strap; although a little stiff at first. As with most leather goods, you have to break it in. I wish I pinched in a little more for the metal bracelet, as it gives a sportier option. The OEM bracelet by itself is about 2,000 USD, but there are numerous other leather straps available.

I have a 16cm circumference wrist, and I use the penultimate hole in the strap, if that gives you any perspective.

In the California heat, my wrists expand, and it would be nice to quickly adjust the fit. However, with the screw to secure the strap, it is not possible. Alternatively, you can:

1. Not use the screw and just adjust the fit when putting on the watch; or

Screw In

Screw Out on opposite side– Can freely adjust size

2. Carry a small screwdriver tool with you.

Screwdriver and Pusher Tool (pusher not needed for PanoReserve – has date setter via crown)

It uses a friction-fit deployant. It feel solid, although with smaller wrists, it might dig into your wrists at an angle.

Deployant not centered when sized to smaller wrist

On hotter days, or when doing some physical activities, I end up putting it on an aftermarket blue sailcloth strap. A bracelet might have helped with this. The lug width is 20mm, so you have a wide array of choices to change straps and bracelets if you want.

Dial

So what drew me to it in the first place was its electrifying blue dial. No pun intended as it was made through electroplating (and other processes) at Glashütte Original's dial factory, Th. Müller in Pforzheim. The shade of blue is just about perfect for me. It can change depending on the lighting, and it explodes sunlight or the warm lightning of a boardroom.

I like the asymmetric dial. It gives it uniqueness and character. It's not symmetric, but still balanced. I like how the seconds track intersects the minutes at 25 and 35. The concentric circles of the time tracks are very well done, with the seconds track “covering” the minutes track. I believe the dial as a whole is visually appealing because of the golden ratio and the complications are spaced strategically.

I can do without the Gangreserve and Panoramadatum text, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

I believe the hand and indices on the blue model are white gold, and the hands on the white model is blued steel. I was confused at first for the seconds hand if the counter balance was pointing at the seconds, but it's too short. You can still pretend it is, though.

The lume is nothing too special, but only the hour and minutes hands are filled with lume, providing some contrast. I would have liked it if there was a touch of lume at 12:00 for orientation, but it's still somewhat legible in the dark.

I can easily tell the time, despite the smaller time subdial (~23mm). If you have vision problems and use your watch to check the time, I would go with a watch with a traditional big time dial.

I'm in the camp of I like dates on my watches and having a big date was kind of a selling point to me. I work in an office environment all day signing legal documents. Because I have a poor attention span and memory, I forget the date often and don't always have my phone or computer with me. The PanoReserve was a good solution. One thing I like is that the date is out of the way of the hands, so I can tell the date no matter what time it is. With other watches, maybe it's hard to tell the date at 2:15 in the afternoon because the hands is covering the date. Also, having white font on a matching blue background that matches the dial is very attractive. I do prefer the numerals on the same plane as opposed to A. Lange & Söhne's interpretation of the big date, but again, personal preference.

The power reserve indicator is a fun bonus for me. I wind it and watch the hands move towards AUF, when I am bored. Do not overwind it, though, as that will damage the movement. There will be a firm stopping point when you get near full.

When it is lower in the power reserve, the crown is looser and it feels easier to wind. The power reserve is also nice if you have a rotation of watches, but want it to keep ticking. Occasionally, the power reserve indicator may get a little finicky and display power when there's none left. Just wind it up to full (until crown gets tight) then let it empty out. It should go back to normal. Otherwise, maybe bring it in for servicing.

Case

It is 40mm in diameter, about 11.7mm thick, and about 47mm lug to lug. It feels thick, but solid for a manual wind watch.

It weighs about 70g with the strap.

50m water resistant is good for a dressy watch. It may be suitable for surface swimming if put on a water resistant strap/bracelet, but taking it off or using another watch would be the safer choice.

The case finishing is marred from my daily use, but it was well done. It is curved and polished, leading up the sapphire crystal. The mid-case has horizontal brushing.

The lugs are short and sharply down-turned, which helps it fit on my smaller wrists. Lug tops are polished, and brushed in the middle to match the case.

It has a nice, grippy signed crown. Easy to wind (which is what you want in a manual wind watch). It is push/pull crown (not screw down). Neutral position is for winding (I do not know if winding backwards does anything, but I am not going to try.) First position out is to change the date. The date change clicks are satisfying. Second position out stops the seconds and you can set the time. There's good “feedback” when you turn the hands via the crown.

Timekeeping

The movement beats at 4Hz. On the wrist, I get about +8 seconds a day, which I think is good enough. If you are obsessive about accuracy, a skilled watchmaker can probably regulate it. There are no promised timekeeping ranges in the paperwork that came with my PanoReserve. Better timekeeping can be had with other of GO's offerings, such as their chronometers.

The instant date change happens around 11:57:00 for me. I would have liked it at midnight, but I don't think the 3 minute window will lead to any catastrophic consequences.

Display Back

What can I say about the in-house Caliber 65-01 that hasn't already been said? It needs to be viewed through a loupe. My Google Pixel smartphone images do NOT do it justice. I feel like I am committing a serious crime using cell phone photography on such an exquisite specimen!

The 3/4 plate with Glashütte ribbing (I believe that's the local nomenclature equivalent of “Côtes de Genève”), the blued screws, blackened duplex swan's neck, the chatons, perlage on the baseplate, hand engraving, anglage of the edges...all tremendous.

If you were extremely detail-oriented, you would want all the screw heads to be parallel to each other, but it's not something anyone really expects, right?

Would I have liked less of the plate so I can see more of the movement? Yes, but would go against the traditional Saxon style of watchmaking.

Pricing

I purchased new from an AD at a price that was a little higher than gray market, so I think I got a great deal with an extended warranty and sales tax excluded. There are definitely good deals to be had with this model if you shop around; new or pre-owned.

I feel GO in general is great value for money in terms of what you are getting.

Other

One of the special things about the watch is that it is rather unique. Not many people know about GO, and even fewer are in the wild. When I entered a Rolex AD to look at the nonexistent stock, the salesperson was curious as to what I was wearing, to which I said just a German watch. They just said oh, it looks nice. When I entered another watch store, the salesperson commented that “Ah, you know watches because you wear a GO!”. I wouldn't say I know watches, but I just took the compliment and thanked them.

It's a good everyday dress watch with a slight sporty touch, and I love it. It's not a perfect watch, but it has a lot of what I like, and not much that I don't like.

Alternatives

PanomaticLunar

-Automatic, 1mm thicker.
-The moonphase is a romantic complication, but I don't need to tell the tides or if werewolves are abound. The power reserve is more practical for me

JLC Reserve de Marche (blue dial power reserve)

-Automatic, smaller at 39mm, thinner
-I liked the GO's hue of blue better
-The time looks easier to read, but pointer date looks harder to read
-I like the finishing of the GO's movement better.
-Pusher date adjuster

Grand Seiko Elegance SBGK005 (blue dial power reserve)

-Released after I purchased my GO
-No date, limited edition, 39mm
-Movement hard to see with stamp on caseback
-Amazing textured dial

Lange 1

-Price
-The durability of steel vs status and feel of precious metal

Tissot Couturier (separated subdials and date) (T0354281603100)

-Affordable, automatic
-Doesn't come in blue

That's my review. I think I covered everything I wanted. Cheers!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks BlueOracle for taking the time to write the review. Beautiful timepiece! Yes, people who really like watches like GO!

Reactions: blueoracle

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Great review of a company that is underrated for its finishing at the price point. Some of the best date windows in the busines.

Reactions: blueoracle

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you very much for this review - really helpful. I have been considering the PanomaticLunar and this has made me rethink strap versus bracelet - seems it would be worth going for the bracelet if possible. This blue dial variant is the one I am attracted to as well and I agree that there is something very appealing about the golden ratio. Interesting to hear the reactions you have had - not surprised with Rolex. I also like less popular options. I must try one on.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Thanks for the great review. Has been a grail watch for me for some time. One of these days. Was the AD in the USA where you bought for just above gray market? You can PM me if you don’t wish to publish the name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
-The moonphase is a romantic complication, but I don't need to tell the tides or if werewolves are abound. The power reserve is more practical for me
That's funny. It does add a bit of flair to the dial but it has no real purpose and you will need a winder for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for the review, I concur with it.. I also learnt there is a bracelet version. The quality of the leather is truly outstanding though.
I got a good deal on mine around 2 years ago (20% off + 10% cashback) and worn it about 80% of the time since.. I have really enjoyed it, and the blue dial is amazing. A few people asked me if it was a Lange.
The reserve de marche is very practical, although I would have liked a longer power reserve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts