WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently it occurred to me that GO makes some of the most stunning watches I have ever seen. Appealing models, in-house movement and top craftmanship seem to make them extremely desireable. My question is: How can such a relatively young company demand the prices they charge?

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
Hello Aquaracer,

Disregarding government and corporate name changes, GLASHÜTTE ORIGINAL
traces its history of watchmaking back a long time. In any case correlating
the age of the company to the price of their product seems like a thing that
needs to be justified. I suppose in asking this question you are kidding.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
303 Posts
:-s Do you have to be an old name to be upper end?
No, but you would have to admit that tradition plays a big role in the world of mechanical watches - much harder to launch a new brand then to purchase an old name and then claim you have been manufacturing watches since 18xx.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
Hello Watchbuff,

Your statement seems rather general. Perhaps you could elaborate
on how it applies in this thread.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
41,183 Posts
:-d "Tradition", I buy watches without the marketing BS.
No, but you would have to admit that tradition plays a big role in the world of mechanical watches - much harder to launch a new brand then to purchase an old name and then claim you have been manufacturing watches since 18xx.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Please understand that I was not trying to ruffle any feathers here. I appreciate the brand-I thought that was clear in my post. I am considering getting one. No I am not kidding about my question. With any product, especially luxury watches, sales will usually be better with a proven track record. I just wanted to see what peoples opinion was regarding the price GO carries considering the relatively young age of the brand.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Everytime a question like this one comes up, (and the question is legitimate) I feel that these 5 videos can answer it better than any amount of debate or reasoning. There is no doubt in my mind that a Glashutte Original is worth the asking price.

Please take a look at them when you have time. I will link only to part 1 of 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe3430fhIhE :-!:thanks

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everytime a question like this one comes up, (and the question is legitimate) I feel that these 5 videos can answer it better than any amount of debate or reasoning. There is no doubt in my mind that a Glashutte Original is worth the asking price.

Please take a look at them when you have time. I will link only to part 1 of 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe3430fhIhE :-!:thanks
That certainly helps to answer the question - thanks!

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
Those videos are awesome. I watched them for the first time recently. GO makes some of the sweetest watches out there. :p

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello Watchbuff,

Your statement seems rather general. Perhaps you could elaborate
on how it applies in this thread.

Thanks,
rationaltime
The OP was questioning how a company without a long history could possibly justify high end prices...

A subsequent poster ( Watchbreath ) questioned this position ("Do you have to be an old name to be upper end?")

My point was that in the world of collecting watches, tradition does play a significant role. If it did not, then there would be more newer watch companies (innovative, etc) rather then many companies that tout their long history.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
The OP was questioning how a company without a long history could possibly justify high end prices...

A subsequent poster ( Watchbreath ) questioned this position ("Do you have to be an old name to be upper end?")

My point was that in the world of collecting watches, tradition does play a significant role. If it did not, then there would be more newer watch companies (innovative, etc) rather then many companies that tout their long history.
There are - look at the new watches launched every year by new brands, much of it over-blinged dross. I counted about 10 at Basel just this year alone. And we are in the midst of an economic depression - once the credit starts a-flowin' again, think how many more will appear!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts