WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say that I absolutely love Glashutte Original. Another thread asked a hypothetical question about which brand you would choose if you could only ever have watches by a single brand. My answer? G.O.

That said, I do think that they have made a mistake in abandoning their sport watches, in particular, watches like their Sport Evolution Panorama Date and GMT.

Glashutte-Original-Sport-Evolution-Watch-91.jpg

Basel_SportEvoGMTbracelet.jpg

If they had similar sports offerings today, I think I could, indeed, be a one brand watch geek..... errr..... guy. However, it feels like G.O. has been so busy chasing ALS, that they have abandoned the effort to create excellent, distinctive sports models. This is a shame. It is part of their history that could be a differentiator where their remarkable movements, dials and cases could be applied to a new version of the now-abandoned Sport Evolution line. I am not asking that they stay still and simply recreate these older models. But I do think that they could and should invest some effort into building a small line of sports watches. I think it would pay off for them as a brand. I know it would pay off for lovers of the brand.

I love the direction of G.O.'s three main lines. Each occupies a clear and coherent role in their overall collection. IMHO, a fourth, sport-oriented collection would complete the collection. What are the odds that we will see such a direction the relatively near future? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I wouldn't at all be surprised if GO at some point introduces a new sports line. I agree with all your points and think is the one area of their lineup that is currently lacking. With steel sports watches being extremely popular I would be shocked if they didn't add a sports line.

Even JLC and Montblanc who are more dress oriented than GO (with JLC being a closer comparative point) both have new sports lines. I would be surprised if it wasn't being worked on currently. Sports watches are arguably the most popular and in demand segment of the market so it would be silly for them to not make a stab at it at some point.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
I owned this one, and it was a great watch.

While I believe the brands operate with a fair bit of autonomy, in the case of the Sport Evo I have heard it was a Swatch decision (Fifty Fathoms, Planet Ocean, etc) rather than one from GO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts