WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty new 114060 (about six months old). Just now was playing a fairly wild game of tug with my dog, involving some fairly forceful hand and wrist movements, and by the end of the game I noticed that the bracelet on my Sub was a size bigger and the watch was slipping down my wrist. A closer look revealed that the glidelock had literally slipped a notch. Is this something that is known as a thing that can happen? I have to say I was pretty surprised...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I have a pretty new 114060 (about six months old). Just now was playing a fairly wild game of tug with my dog, involving some fairly forceful hand and wrist movements, and by the end of the game I noticed that the bracelet on my Sub was a size bigger and the watch was slipping down my wrist. A closer look revealed that the glidelock had literally slipped a notch. Is this something that is known as a thing that can happen? I have to say I was pretty surprised...
I have not had that happen to me and have not heard of it happening, but I guess anything is possible. I would try and recreate that movement and if it happens again take it in under warranty.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I hate to ask, is this a genuine Rolex? purchased from AD or from a trusted seller? I have never heard of happening and from what I have seen that thing is precision machined to the tee. You will probably snap a link before it lets go. Sorry dont mean to offend you or anything.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Owned a 116610LN for 2 years. This happened to me about once every 3 months, so you're not alone. Was also a bit disappointed.

329 Posts
Seriously, what is going on?

First I purchase a Tudor GMT and find out that there's a date wheel issue.
Then I pick up my Omega Speedmaster Professional and then learn that Omega repair services in NJ are atrocious.
Now I'm in the market for a Rolex and I'm learning that this!?!

I gotta admit I too thought OP had a knockoff. After reading the comments here, it seems like this isn't a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Seriously, what is going on?

First I purchase a Tudor GMT and find out that there's a date wheel issue.
Then I pick up my Omega Speedmaster Professional and then learn that Omega repair services in NJ are atrocious.
Now I'm in the market for a Rolex and I'm learning that this!?!

I gotta admit I too thought OP had a knockoff. After reading the comments here, it seems like this isn't a rare occurrence.
Don't worry, it only ever happens to people with less than 100 posts.:-d

329 Posts
Two instances posted on here out of how many hundreds of thousands of glidelock clasps produced? Seems pretty rare to me.
Of course. The thousands of owners of this watch knew to chime in within the last 12 hours in this thread...
Do I think that the problem is as frequent as the Tudor GMT that I own? Of course not.
But the fact that 2 posts out of 4 posts declared a problem, that's alarming enough for me from a brand that touts durability and robustness.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Of course. The thousands of owners of this watch knew to chime in within the last 12 hours in this thread...
Do I think that the problem is as frequent as the Tudor GMT that I own? Of course not.
But the fact that 2 posts out of 4 posts declared a problem, that's alarming enough for me from a brand that touts durability and robustness.
Given how long the glidelock clasp has been on the market I think we would have heard about it before today if it was a widespread problem. This forum has a wide reach, so it's natural that someone would reply that they too have this issue. Now if we see 2, 3, 4 more threads started about this, each with 10+ unique individuals claiming the same thing, then yeah, perhaps there's something to investigate. But let's not claim inferior quality on the basis of these two posts. Credit where it's due maybe they actually have a problem, but the truth lies with the details (and, of course, with the acceptable tolerances of defects from a 1+M/year producer).

Having heard stories of watches going 15+ years between services, and with family members who have done this themselves, I think Rolex can still claim their legendary durability and robustness.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Looking at your sig’ and above post re possible purchase I honestly don’t think you have the experience to comment on Rolex durability and robustness.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's possible you did not engage it fully, and it slipped down to the next notch. Just reset it and try a little push/pull movement to make sure it's seated, then put it back on your wrist. I'm sure it's nothing.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It's possible you did not engage it fully, and it slipped down to the next notch. Just reset it and try a little push/pull movement to make sure it's seated, then put it back on your wrist. I'm sure it's nothing.
^ agree with this. The link that attaches the bracelet to the clasp really needs to be set forcefully to be engaged.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Looking at your sig’ and above post re possible purchase I honestly don’t think you have the experience to comment on Rolex durability and robustness.
Unless you've bought thousands of Rolexes, neither do you. No one that has bought only one, or even a dozen, can reliably make generalizations about the entire production run. I've bought three Vostoks and never had a problem with any of them; should I claim they're as reliable and robust as a Rolex?

Reactions: Cool Watch Syndrome

·
Registered
950 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone mentioned above, it's possible it was seated properly and popped out of place. When I have to lengthen or shorten my glidelock, I will move it to the appropriate notch, seat it, and then gently pull the clasp in an outward motion to ensure its secure. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts