WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took receipt of a raketa perpetual calendar today and as I was examining it, the glass fell out. Not too fussed about it as the overall condition of the watch was far better that what the pictures had me believe. I also like tinkering and look at some of these purchases as project watches. So, with that in mind, can I please have your suggestions and recommendations on the glues you use on these acrylic glasses?

From my scale modeling experience, I'd want something that does not craze so super glue is out of the question. From my glue arsenal, I suspect that 2 part epoxy would do the job? What about UV glues or specific watch glues, any recommendations on these?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
I took receipt of a raketa perpetual calendar today and as I was examining it, the glass fell out. Not too fussed about it as the overall condition of the watch was far better that what the pictures had me believe. I also like tinkering and look at some of these purchases as project watches. So, with that in mind, can I please have your suggestions and recommendations on the glues you use on these acrylic glasses?

From my scale modeling experience, I'd want something that does not craze so super glue is out of the question. From my glue arsenal, I suspect that 2 part epoxy would do the job? What about UV glues or specific watch glues, any recommendations on these?

Thanks a bunch
A few comments: The crystal should not fall out, of course, so it may be the result of a clumsy attempt by the seller to replace a badly scratched or cracked original crystal. This might be the time to find the right size crystal and replace it using a crystal lift. Better than any glue, in my opinion. That having been said I do not have any experience with the glues traditionally used for gluing crystals so I can't help you there. I have used small "dots" of epoxy to secure loose crystals before. I would be careful with epoxy because if the case and crystal are clean and enough epoxy is used you may end up with a crystal almost impossible to remove! I would think a light bed of "Elmer's" glue or some other similar acrylic adhesive would be worth a try to achieve a secure attachment that can be broken if necessary.

Good luck!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I use GS Hypo cement. it comes in a small tube with a point that is like a hypodermic needle. You just need a small amount all along the inside circumference of the case/bezel that holds the crystal. The glue dries within a few minutes but i let the glue cure for a few hours without the movement and caseback on so that it can "air out". Don't want the fumes to have to have a chemical reaction with the lubrication or anything else.

Btw, this glue isn't super strong like epoxy so if you make a mistake you can remove it and try again.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
At any rate, be careful not to have any glue onto the visible part of the crystal, or else it would probably be busted! Believe me...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
As suggested in the foregoing, a crystal shouldn't need to be glued in. Normally, the crystal is compressed by a thing called a crystal lifter, so that it can slip into position; then it expands a little to lock it in place (the groove it sits in has a slight taper on it). If you can find a watch repairer, he should be able to fit a new crystal for a reasonable price. That said, [Itri]'s suggestion seems reasonable.

Cheers,
Paul

·
4,410 Posts
What Paul said. Also most crystal cements are uv actuated so make sure the get some sun light after application.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys that helped a lot. In the end, I didn't need glue just a little pressure and she popped back in. I will look at getting a crystal lift to join the rest of my watch tools.

Thanks again for the feedback and this is how it looks now. perpe1.jpg

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I'm not sure about the hands on the green one, but it's in good condition!

I'm currently up to 19 perpetual calendars (two dial designs, plus vanity dials; various colours; chrome or gold cases...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts