WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've been wearing this one a lot and really enjoying it. I'm surprised as it is actually the least expensive (brand new) G Shock I've purchased. First things first: the color. Well, let me help with a real life shot:

P1000218.JPG

See how it is not the "Bright White" of some of the other G Shocks? No? Wait, let me show a comparison:

P1000239.JPG

OK, better understanding? Calibrated to the colors with my camera? Good. That white GA-100 is my only one of that color. I'd call it a "Brilliant White" as in sunscreen. I have difficulty wearing this watch at work (semi-professional attire). The new G-Lide? passable. People see it, that's for sure! But I don't feel it is out of control in any way. Here is another shot:

P1000220.JPG

Overall it feels like a distant relative to the "earth tone" or "Men In Military Colors" to me. Once again, based on Casio photos, I was unsure of this watch. Then I saw it in person, bammo. done. Because of this earthy tone it seems extraordinarily flexible. Wanna better view of the buttons? Here:

P1000221.JPG

As is the case with the XL line up the buttons work well. No difficulties and easy switching of modes. Modes. This is module # 3295 and hopefully that link takes you to Casio where you can download manual and read to your heart's content. Let me point out a couple of things first: because it is a G-Lide it has moon phase (which I look at a bit actually) and tide graph (which you think I would use here in Hawaii like every day or something, but I don't). Let me show you a couple of cool things that are not obvious or mentioned anywhere:
#1. Have you been reading about some people living in parts of the US and elsewhere in the world here on WUS where their workaround for the home city is almost silly? I have. I can't remember who, but this watch does not have that issue. You set your home time zone based on UTC in half hour increments and DST is completely separate! I know, crazy. Well, here it is:

P1000245.JPG

I know, I know: UTC -10. It wasn't a big deal before for me as Hawaii has its own time zone (HST) that is on all the other G Shocks I have. I know, that rocks too. We may not have invented UTC, but we are recognized!

#2. OK, this one is waaaay more regionally significant. And I mean HUGE. Familiar with home town rivalries? Cross-state rivalries? Well, in California it is pretty mega. And I mean at the Olympics Northern California vs Southern California for medal counts in all the California newspapers. Completely separate and above how the US medal counts are going vs other countries. Bring up a competition, and we're at it. I'm a NorCal kid born and raised. So I set my world time to my father (who still lives in NorCal) a couple of days before we talk so I know his schedule. It really irks me to have no choice but to pick LAX. Really, this irks. Well, Casio somehow became aware of their evil ways and sent out an olive branch to all their NorCal customers. Don't believe me? Check it buddy:

P1000244.JPG

OK, OK. It makes asolutely no sense whatsoever. ALL of California is Pacific Standard Time and DST. So I don't know the reasoning, but I gotta believe there are other cities represented that were not there before. Worth a look anyway. Need another outdoor shot? Cool.

P1000222.JPG

#3. Wanna see a cool party trick? I like this one and really enjoy it. OK, you've seen the face right? Quick refresher:

P1000243.JPG

Turn the lights out:

P1000242.JPG

WHOA! I love that. I do not get tired of it. I've seen that blue on other GShocks, but I love how the center band goes from bronze to white! 3 lights? I do not know. But I am not tired of it.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally, let me finish up with the caseback shot. Thanks for reading:

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the review Chrisek, I honestly think that the kinda cream color of the watch is perfect. The stock Casio photos do not do it justice!

G-Lide models are some of the neatest G's around, Very excellent watch!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Nice work man. Love the light show v v cool.

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just purchased the glx150x-7 in4mation collab today. I will probably get to me in the mail in about about a week or so. I felt the need to get it, because it's a limited edition, I've been dying for one of these new glx-150's, but I held out until the in4mation collab came out. I don't really like the color scheme on it, too plain, and it just says in4mation twice on the wrist band and has a red strap holder, worst of all, the buttons are white. I really like how yours has the black buttons, very nice contrast. I really would like the blue one, but I think it's a japan-only release, and I'm not paying double on ebay. Anyways, great review, really nice pictures!!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I picked up an In4ma+tion today. My reason was a little different: one, they are local
P1000257.JPG

Two, I wanted a "stormtrooper" style watch (stark white with a negative digital) and I genuinely enjoy the GLX-150.

P1000258.JPG

So, blazing through the unpacking photos (this is my first collab as well, so having it be a local is extra cool to me)

P1000259.JPG

Gets us to what you care about

P1000260.JPG

P1000261.JPG

I know, I know. I can hear you quite well: "Dude, seriously Chrisek? Why didn't you get that orange one next, or even the black darth vader? You already have an off-white one!"

While I do, the truth is they are very different to me. Basically, the off-white one I feel comfortable wearing to work as it is a softer coloration, while this one I think of as a "fun" day watch instead.

P1000262.JPG

I also wish the buttons on the side were colored. Black, Red, or even Orange or a mixup would've been fun. Escpecially considering they spec'ed out the red keeper and black buckle (I really like black buckles by the way)

P1000263.JPG

Side by side for more of a comparison

P1000264.JPG

Obligatory wrist shot, see how much crisper this color scheme is? I like it

P1000265.JPG

And the shot nobody has shown yet: the underwrist with all the colors in action. Have I mentioned this underside cleanly shows the 3 colors of the *official* WUS Gshock color scheme?

P1000268.JPG b-)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally, the caseback:

P1000269.JPG

I do wish it were a little different. I wish the caseback was black or "smoked" to match the buckle. Seriously, that would be a cool effect. I wish there was some kind of custom backlight like on other collabs/special editions (that's why there isn't a photo of it here). I like the watch a lot, and I'm happy I got it. Other GLX's to follow, I'm sure. |>

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just opened mine up tonight (the in4mation glx150) I really like the look of of this module, I kinda wish the collaboration was a bit more in-depth/detailed. Here's a pic in4ma-glx.jpg

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for posting that shot here! I was going to ask your permission to put it in but you beat me to it. You've worn it a couple of days now, what do you think of the watch? As a watch? Color scheme?

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I thought I'd add my pictures to this thread. My GLX-150-7 arrived yesterday:

I found it tough to get some decent shots on the fly this morning. The display just was not picked up well by my pretty mediocre iPhone 3GS camera. I really like the color it is slightly off-white, closer to a light "bone" type color, with a slight, slight tint of pink. (That doesn't make the watch look "pink" in any way; it just softens the white.) It has a matte finish which will clearly get dirty pretty quickly, but looks less garish (on a male arm, in particular) than a glossy white finish. (Just to be clear -- I wear glossy white watches as well, from time to time. Even though I don't think they are the best color against my reasonably pale skin.)

I've always been a fan of the G-Lide models -- even though I don't surf and make no use of the "tide" functions beyond looking at them.

This module has a nice, robust feature set -- a "time" mode; a "tide" mode; a "world time" mode nicely described above; a 24 hour STW with an "auto-start" function (essentially a five second countdown); a 24 hour CDT with an auto-repeat function and "progress beepers" (that can be toggled on and off) as well as the standard countdown end beeper; an Alarm mode with and hourly-chime that can be toggled on and off and threeprogrammable alarms (one with "snooze" function) -- the alarms can be set daily, or for a specific date, or for one-month (the alarm will sound every day during the set time only during the designated month), or monthly (the alarm will sound every month on the time and date designated). Illumination is done with a bright blue LED -- which can be set to either 1.5 or 3 seconds. Auto-EL can also be activated - this will light up the watch when you turn your wrist.

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I thought it was time to update this with Tanaka videos! b-). One thing that strikes me about the GLX's is how they just came out as a full-fledged part of the G-Shock family. Started out as G-Lides. Wild colors. and even a collab in the FIRST wave! I haven't been into this long enough to know how rare or common it is, but it doesn't seem "normal" in any case.

Ready for my disclaimer? If you are on the fence at all about any of these models, and do not know about Tanaka videos yet. IT IS NOT MY FAULT if you click,click,click and a big box of watches lands on your doorstep in about a week! Tanaka has an amazing gift of making watches look FANTASTIC in their videos. :p Not my fault, can't blame me.

Where to start? I'll start with mine :roll:. The "bone" colored GLX-150-7. Yes, I'm biased.

Next up is the Orange GLX-150-4. I like to think of it as the "Son of MIRO". There is a member here who put together some amazing photography/photoshop on this watch. I'll see if he can post or give permission for me to put them up here.

That non-US model (Japan release only?) Blue with the crazy face GLX-150-2.

The daily "wear at work" Black GLX-150-1. If you don't yet have an all black digital XL family (GD-1xx-series) I think this could rock.

And finally, the one everyone has been waiting for! The love it or hate it but don't sit on the fence, the In4Mation GLX-150X-7! It seems like everyone into G's has an opinion on this watch, and everyone not into G's doesn't notice. Double negatives, don't tell my mom.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Dude, do not tell me you picked up another white or off white glx150! Gonna have to smack you around a little Chrisek and knock some sense into you if you did!"

Nope, I got all crazy and got the black one! :roll:. Yup, wild color variation so far. As in unpredictable. Wanna see it anyway? Good:

P1000305.JPG

I find this to be a very attractive black digital watch. Not in a GDF100BB suck the light out of the room kind of way, but more of a good looking black watch that people won't notice kind of way. Did that make any sense? :think:

From the "top" you see the colors of the lettering just kind of blending in. Even that red "eye" is muted. I like it:

P1000306.JPG

Black buttons, the white lettering on the bezel is not bright, nothing garish about it.

P1000307.JPG

Even on the "bottom" strap that yellow "G-LIDE" is toned down on this. Just a nice watch color scheme. Very wearable to any work environment.

P1000309.JPG

If I were to suggest any changes to it, it would be the central "bar" or tidegraph. I wish it was bronze like the other two white ones above. Just kind of a normal grey. DIdn't notice? That's one of the points on the watch. Let me show you so you don't have to scroll up:

P1000310.JPG

Obligatory wrist shot. Here the watch comes together. It would never be considered "stunning" or anything, but considering the functionality of it, definitely a nice daily.

P1000311.JPG

Just a good solid watch in my eyes. |>

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So, I picked up another GLX150. "Right on Chrisek! I've been waiting to see more shots of that crazy blue one!" Easy killer, easy. "What? Don't you dare tell me you picked up a duplicate black or white! This thread is sooooo dumb." Well, the good news is I didn't do that either. b-)

I got the Orange GLX-150-4. Yup. The "Son of MIRO" is here. If you've seen the Tanaka video above, then I'll point you over to TOM101's thread where he put up some simply amazing photos that you swear were Casio professional shots :p

Let's just call mine a little more "real life" complete with smudges. :-d. What is really weird about this watch is that when dead ahead the numbers completely wash out out. When tilted even slightly everything is legible. Here is a close up:

Orange tilt.jpg

See that kind of silver in the top of the "M" of "MON"? The more of an angle you get, the more silver you get. Here, look at it from a more obtuse angle

Orange wide.jpg

See? Almost the exact opposite of the negative display complaints. REALLY WIDE viewing angle. Neat feature, except when it washes out, but being the just a slight twist in any direction to complete visibility it is do-able.

Another difference is that the bands and bezel are very glossy and jelly like (mmmm, jelly. . ) almost latex-y. But only on the outside. Don't know if Casio is trying to make these DEET resistant (I mean you wear sunblock at the beach, right?) or not, I'll let someone else try it out.

Orange on side.jpg

Oddly, the keeper is more of a normal non-latex type of material. Like the inside of the band.

Orange Keeper.jpg

OK, I got a new camera but still can't take a good night light shot. So I'll do two. That center section is silver in day light, but check out the color here:

orange light blue.jpg

BLUE? Bet you didn't see that coming! I know it is a little out of focus. The second shot regained the focus and lost some of the color.

Orange light focus.jpg

So the coloring is much more pumpkin than Rescue Orange if you know what I mean but can't see it. I took it outside to try and share as the only photos of this watch I've seen have been indoors or in studio, and my pictures last night only added to that. Let's start with the obligatory wrist shot I somehow missed last night:

Orange Wrist shot Smudged.jpg

Sorry for the smudge! I was juggling a few watches and nailed this one while reaching for it. Also got a good shot of the face washed out, but it is a good representation of the band color in real life:

Orange Washed Out.jpg

Now, on the ledge but visible..

orange cement wall.jpg

And finally, a nice bondage shot with it next to other colors:

twisted on fence.jpg

If you've been curious about the color of this watch, I hope this has helped. I like the watch. New type of display is different. Oddly enough, this color scheme is completely accepted a work "professional casual" for whatever reason where the brilliant white isn't. I don't know, I don't make up the fashion codes. :roll:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So, I got the Blue GLX150 "WHAT?!?! You just said you didn't have it!". Well, I had to go get it out of the drawer. I didn't physically have it in my hand at the time. . .. "You suck Chrisek, now show me some pictures!". :)

Yes, this one is very wild in person. Same display technology as the orange, and same coating on the band and bezel. So let's catch up here.

Blue head on.jpg

See how the "11" is trying to fade out? This effect is very difficult to catch on camera, but there is a spot dead ahead where the screen completely washes out. Hopefully you are beginning to see how difficult it is to see the non-readable spot. "But how will I know if I hit it if I can't read it?' Ugh.

On this one you can see the latex style coating of the band a little better

Blue Band.jpg

And here you can see the bezel glistening! This is a little crazy for me and not what I normally look for in a watch. But if it's DEET resistant. . . . .. .

Blue on the side.jpg

Not saying it is of course. Also like the orange one, the keeper on this one is untreated.

Blue Keeper.jpg

Time for the light show!

Blue Light.jpg

This one also has the blue band in the middle. For whatever reason, I got the shot! Only took 20 tries o|

OK, I'm guessing all the photos of this one you've seen have been indoor or studio shots. Thought I'd get it outside into some natural light for everyone. First and foremost, a wrist shot! I forgot to shoot that last night on the original shoot? WOW, I was tired!

Blue wrist Shot.jpg

Remember I was telling you how difficult it was to show the watch "washed out"? Got it, and not from the angle I expected.

Blue Washed Out.jpg

Time for a nice outdoor shot with other colors for comparison

Blue twisted chain link.jpg

And an interesting shot with the watchface partially shadowed partially in sun

Blue partial shade.jpg

"Dude, Chrisek! It's cuz your big ol noggin is in the way!" No, no, I meant to do that (in my best Pee Wee Herman voice). :think:

In short, the blue one is nuts. The wildest color scheme I have on a watch so far, and glad to have my two recent additions.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK, ready for the weird part? You know how the blue was rumored to be "Japan Only", "waaaay too expensive", and all that? I got the blue and the orange one from Japan, 'cuz I mean where else was I getting the blue one right? Look at this photo closely:

Europe.jpg

Notice anything out of place? Look at the tags again. If you don't know this those last two letters are the country codes (for the market they are released in). By everything we know that blue one should end in a "JP" or "JF". That "ER" is for the european market. THAT is crazy. So, it is cheaper for me (especially in the USA) to purchase a European release model from Japan to ship here? We're dealing with some funny economics here. The good news for everyone "on the continent" is that it looks like the blue one is coming to you. Unless I'm reading something wrong?

Another weird thing: both watches came set for 2005, though different months. Just a heads up for those of you in 2022 looking to pick one of these up NOS, they were not made in 2005 lol.

This completes the "First Wave" of the GLX-150. Casio has announced another G-Lide series out of the XL body, so this may be the end of the road for this model (what?). I don't know. I like it and a lot of the details and hope it keeps going.

Did you get one of these and have some opinions about it? Post up! Are you interested in them but have questions? Post up! Want some different pictures for whatever reason? Just let me know.

Parting Shot:

Wave 1.jpg

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right on and congrats! After you wear it 7 days or so (i believe you're rotating with other watches?) Post up your opinion, with a wrist shot of course!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The temptress called GLX-150-4ER is calling my name... I'm afraid i might give in to the temptation one of these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had my eyes on this for a while but I've been wondering.... how comfortable is the band? I found the band on my 5600 a bit stiff and scratchy and ended up having to replace it with a NATO band. How does the band on these compare?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Crazy Mecha: first and foremost my only 5600 is a g5600. I think it has a "cheap" feeling band on it compared to my other g's. I like the glx watch bands and case backs (of all the ga/gd 1xx's actually) a lot which is why I've proceeded to get them. If you can try on any of them, you will have an idea of the band's comfort for yourself. Not helpful I know, but this is a personal preference and trying to give you a way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts