WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A 42mm Airman with locking crown!
It sure is pretty, but I've had trouble warming to silver hands on a white dial. Not enough contrast. Blued hands or black would have been better.
Here are the hand versions available...

GMT Version (4 hands, three timezones)

Purist Version (pure 24h watch, 3 hands, two timezones)

GA Version; special excecution for pilots (4 hands, three timezones, 24h hand arrow-tipped with SL, slender 12h hand with SL)

OK...Whew!...Here's a purist version...

Reactions: mitadoc

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I had a white dial Double 24, and it lacked contrast also. I found it annoying.

I like the fact that they lumed the 24 hour markers too. That is the one thing that disappoints me about the SST and others.

I wonder what "Base 22" refers to?

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The white dial in the first post...The triangle hand is the 24 hour hand and the "accessory" blue hand is 12...so it's more of a purist than it may appear at first.

Here's the black dial version. NNIIIIIIICE....:-!....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why did they make the GMT models 24 on top and the purist 12 on top?

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting observation! I hadn't noticed that. Seems to me you could have the purist with 12 or 24 on top then (for 24 on top buy the GA version then remove the blue 12 hour hand).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I guess the thought is that purists prefer 12 on top given the popularity of the special II?

I'm quietly hoping they release a new bracelet for the 42mm case with these new watches. The old one is just not up to what I think is deserving of Glycine quality.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I cant help but wonder why it's called a purist version when it's got that little tail pointing to 12 hours before . I dont suppose I'll ever afford one but are they available without the tail. ? Regards John.

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean the tail out the back of the 24 hour hand? I find it attractive and don't even notice it for pointing at the PM equivalent.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Any idea when this comes out and how much? Just what I need right! I actually like it. Finally a 42 mm airman.

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MSRP is 1,900 Swiss Francs

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And "BASE" simply stands for airport, airbase, airfield, etc...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, what a difference a dial color makes - I just didn't care for the white with silver, just to me seem hard to quickly read - but in Black with the red hand accents - VERY nice - DS thanks for posting the Black version - it changed my mind!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
MSRP is 1,900 Swiss Francs
That price is not that bad, I think I would definitely take it over the sinn 857 utc which is another watch i´m liking a lot... any good ADs? When should it be available?

·
3,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are some ADs that sponsor WUS that deal Glycine, and I'd receommend any of them, as well as Falcon Watch/William Johnson Co. (they're the same outfit) in Missouri.
Not sure when they'll be available...could be now.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The more I look at the picture, the more I think that I would have left "Base 22" off the dial. But I tend to be picky/strange about stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Very nice and the GA version particularly useful for time zone crossers.

Like the black dial version - what's the size of these - aren't they smallish?

Wonder if the quick setting hour hand of the GA version is available in 'purist' form - now that would be one hell of a useful watch!

Nice effort Glycine - I won't be trading in my Special II fo this one, but good to see them going back to their routes whilst continuously re-inventing the original.|>

That said - lets see the original back in 40mm please!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice and the GA version particularly useful for time zone crossers.

Wonder if the quick setting hour hand of the GA version is available in 'purist' form - now that would be one hell of a useful watch!
You should get the Airman Double 24 09 "spec. Aschwanden" then -- still my favorite: quick settable 24h hand and pure 24h. But apart from my own watch I think they only made one spare set of hour hands, so be quick ...

And those are my initials in the GA version b-)

Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts