WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing a Airman Double 12 and was wondering if anyone knows if the other Airman bezels are the same size and can be swapped out. The double 12 is 40mm and the base 22 is 39mm. Hope someone can help. Thanks

·
3,631 Posts
Glycine has made many modern Airmans, in 36mm, 38mm, 39mm, 42mm, and 46mm. But the Double 12 is the first (I believe) in 40mm. The closest would be the Airman 8 which is now 39mm. So probably no swap would fit physically. Not sure how a switch would work functionally anyway, since the Double 12 is a regular three handed 12 hour watch and the other Airman bezels are all 24. Do you plan on replacing the movement with a 2893 and making it into a 12/GMT watch?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Glycine has made many modern Airmans, in 36mm, 38mm, 39mm, 42mm, and 46mm. But the Double 12 is the first (I believe) in 40mm. The closest would be the Airman 8 which is now 39mm. So probably no swap would fit physically. Not sure how a switch would work functionally anyway, since the Double 12 is a regular three handed 12 hour watch and the other Airman bezels are all 24. Do you plan on replacing the movement with a 2893 and making it into a 12/GMT watch?
This is the problem in a nutshell - the Double 12 has no 24hr hand to point at the outer scale, so the 24h bezel would have no function.

The revised Airman 18 with the "chunky crowns", at 39mm, is close in overall diameter, but judging by the dial size and date location relative to the outer edge of the dial, the Double 12 has a marginally larger bezel so I doubt it would fit anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts