WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I wasn't going to do this, and I was saving up for a Lagunare 3000, but at the last minute, I happened upon this F-104 on eBay. There were no other bidders and I took a big chance because it was a first-time seller with no previous history or comments and the auction was ending in like less than 1 hour.

I didn't even have time to ask a question about it, so I bid the minimum amount ($400.00) and won it. Surprise -- it's just like brand new, still has the stickie on the back! This time, my gamble paid off. I don't think the PO wore it maybe once.

One thing about it -- it's...BIG! I probably have hit and exceeded the limits of what looks decent on my 7.125" wrist. But hey -- I can always turn it into a stopwatch, no? ;-)

It came with a thin Glycine leather black strap with white stitching, but there weren't enough holes on it, so I put it on a rubber dive strap I had, and it's actually very comfy! I don't really feel it on my wrist, because it's flat, but it does hang off the sides a bit.

Not too crazy about the hinged lugs, but what the heck -- the F-104 is a pretty rare beast, so it goes into the collection. I guess you can now call me a certifed Glycine fanatic.

The dial is dark gray, not black. Well, at least there's one rare F-104 owner in the house. Any others?? b-)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That's a sharp looking watch! New to Glycine (new to all watches really) - but I dig them.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice pickup!!! Great Price!!!! How big that sucker???
52 mm across, not including the crown! 10 mm high. They made it in black (dark gray) like this, and white, with or without a clear back. Glycine now lists only the dark gray but as a stopwatch. Not sure how many F-104's they made, but they're pretty rare, I know that. Here's the F-104 page on the Glycine website.

It uses the 6497-1 movement.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Here's the link to the F 104 wristwatch page:

http://www.glycine.ch/e/collection/detail.e.jsp?ID_Group=Archive&ID_Display=10000B

52 mm across, not including the crown! 10 mm high. They made it in black (dark gray) like this, and white, with or without a clear back. Glycine now lists only the dark gray but as a stopwatch. Not sure how many F-104's they made, but they're pretty rare, I know that. Here's the F-104 page on the Glycine website.

It uses the 6497-1 movement.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
That's hilarious. I was watching that auction on eBay for a week and thought I would bid if no one else did. We you bid near the end I decided I wasn't going to bid anything higher because of the very unfavourable feedback rating of the seller. It's a good price for that watch and I'm glad the auction ended well for you. I got spooked and backed out. |>

·
Registered
508 Posts
Cool! And nice pictures, as always! :-!

Regards,

/edw

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's hilarious. I was watching that auction on eBay for a week and thought I would bid if no one else did. We you bid near the end I decided I wasn't going to bid anything higher because of the very unfavourable feedback rating of the seller. It's a good price for that watch and I'm glad the auction ended well for you. I got spooked and backed out. |>
Not sure if this was the same auction, because this seller was brand new and had no feedback yet? I was the only bidder, and I bid the minimum and ended up with it, which was actually kind of surprising to me!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
It was definitely the same auction. I should clarify that when I said unfavourable feedback, I meant zero feedback. I was worried it was going to be a hit and run seller. Glad it worked out and that it ended up on the wrist of a Glycine forum member. |>

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was definitely the same auction. I should clarify that when I said unfavourable feedback, I meant zero feedback. I was worried it was going to be a hit and run seller. Glad it worked out and that it ended up on the wrist of a Glycine forum member. |>

Small world I guess! I was worried also, but kept my fingers crossed, and it worked out, he actually turned out to be a very nice guy, and the watch is better than he described, in perfect condition. Apparently he bought it and tried it on and realized it was a monster and that was that.

I've been wearing the F-104, and although it covers the entire width of my wrist from lug-tip-to-lug-tip when I look down on it from above, it actually wears very comfortably, I'd say about the second most comfortable watch I own, next to the Lagunare 1000, believe it or not, which fits and feels great with the curved smelly vanilla rubber...

I did put a semi-cheap rubber dive strap on the F-104, which definitely helps, because it's more flexible and has 2 shorter holes.

I found that I can also wear the F-104 slightly higher up on my wrist than my other watches without it looking weird, which helps make it wear more comfortable also.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Incredible price!!! Congrats!!! :-!

Let me know if you want to sell it! Seriously!
I might make you a really nice offer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah! That strap looks good! I didn't notice that before. Nice! :-!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts